• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Va Tech basketball

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So if JJ is fired, I guess that means we'll go through another 2 year cycle of recruits de-committing (Bibbs?), players transferring (Emelogu?, Thompson?) and VT stinking it up on gameday.

Last edited by a moderator:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So if JJ is fired, I guess that means we'll go through another 2 year cycle of recruits de-committing (Bibbs?), players transferring (Emelogu?, Thompson?) and VT stinking it up on gameday.

for that reason alone, i personally hope JJ gets 1 more year to start to turn it around

Obrian84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I believe it is better to start over sooner than continue to allow mediocrity. Most of the games I watched this year, we were outplayed and out coached. Some games we outplayed and still lost due to coaching. It is time for a coach that has the credentials to coach in the ACC. This is the best league in basketball, we should have no trouble finding a great coach. We cannot continue to worry about the talent we are going to lose, that is what brought us JJ to begin with. Get a smart coach who can recruit and let him build.

Look at Tony Bennett. It took him 5 years to build what he has and they look damn good.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not give a single damn about keeping recruits/players if it means replacing JJ with an actual coach. You plan long term, not short term. We went this exact route when Greenberg was fired . One of the main selling points (which I argued against at the time) for JJ was he was familiar with players so we'd keep our recruits (kept Wood, lost Harrell) and guys like Green, Brown (left anyway), and Raines wouldn't transfer. Well look where that got us. You have to start with a solid coach that has a vision for the program and actually sticks to it (which JJ hasn't. Up tempo my ass). We're going to be terrible next year regardless of who the coach is. If we get a new coach and some players leave, that just means the new coach will have extra scholarships to get players.

I wonder if the TSL tweet means anything though. We have no idea how Babcock operates but I would guess a person in his position already has his mind made up. Now this is me just putting myself into that role but if I were inclined to keep him, I'd just go ahead and say it. So I wonder if that tweet is hinting at some info they've heard that JJ will be let go and its just lingering till the season is over for the announcement to be made. All I know is once we lose in the ACC tourny, I'm in full "JJ has been fired" watch.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of how many years he gets, nothing about JJ makes me feel like he'll be the guy to make us competitive in the ACC. The sooner we find that guy, the better. I don't care if we take another dump of a season for that to happen.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not give a single damn about keeping recruits/players if it means replacing JJ with an actual coach. You plan long term, not short term. We went this exact route when Greenberg was fired . One of the main selling points (which I argued against at the time) for JJ was he was familiar with players so we'd keep our recruits (kept Wood, lost Harrell) and guys like Green, Brown (left anyway), and Raines wouldn't transfer. Well look where that got us. You have to start with a solid coach that has a vision for the program and actually sticks to it (which JJ hasn't. Up tempo my ass). We're going to be terrible next year regardless of who the coach is. If we get a new coach and some players leave, that just means the new coach will have extra scholarships to get players.

I wonder if the TSL tweet means anything though. We have no idea how Babcock operates but I would guess a person in his position already has his mind made up. Now this is me just putting myself into that role but if I were inclined to keep him, I'd just go ahead and say it. So I wonder if that tweet is hinting at some info they've heard that JJ will be let go and its just lingering till the season is over for the announcement to be made. All I know is once we lose in the ACC tourny, I'm in full "JJ has been fired" watch.

all good points...i'm torn. mainly i would like to see us replace JJ, and keep the players we have now (although i guess rumor is Wood is transferring regardless)...If we can replace JJ without losing the other other guys, and we get a coach who knows what he's doing, i think we've got the talent to not be terrible next year.

i still wonder if we should be looking for new trainers/strength and conditioning coaches for bball, i would be ecstatic to see one season where we dont have multiple starter and scholarship players out for multiple games at a time

i definitely agree that once wednesday passes i wont be surprised, or disappointed to see the JJ has been fired" headline

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all good points...i'm torn. mainly i would like to see us replace JJ, and keep the players we have now (although i guess rumor is Wood is transferring regardless)...If we can replace JJ without losing the other other guys, and we get a coach who knows what he's doing, i think we've got the talent to not be terrible next year.

i still wonder if we should be looking for new trainers/strength and conditioning coaches for bball, i would be ecstatic to see one season where we dont have multiple starter and scholarship players out for multiple games at a time

i definitely agree that once wednesday passes i wont be surprised, or disappointed to see the JJ has been fired" headline

From what I've seen, Wood is easily replaceable. Nothing against JJ....I like the guy, but think he was in over his head to begin with, but took advantage of the situation. I just think we need someone to come in and revitalize the program (including the fan base) from top to bottom. And I think Babcock will get this done. I am not sure how VT will compete with top programs in regards to salary, so unfortunately the hire will surely come from a mid-major which is always a gamble.

One name I haven't heard mentioned is Jeff Capel....although VT may be lucky to exceed what he currently makes at Duke!
-Former VCU and Oklahoma HC
-Years of experience under Coach K has a player and assistant
-Deep ties to the state of Virginia and the ACC

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How many times can one get the "flu" in one season. Wood has got to be setting a record.<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Hokies&amp;src=hash">#Hokies</a> won't have CJ Barksdale or Adam Smith in the opening round of ACC tournament. Marshall Wood (flu) is questionable.</p>&mdash; Mike Barber (@RTD_MikeBarber) <a href="https://twitter.com/RTD_MikeBarber/statuses/443430465241088000">March 11, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times can one get the "flu" in one season. Wood has got to be setting a record.<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Hokies&amp;src=hash">#Hokies</a> won't have CJ Barksdale or Adam Smith in the opening round of ACC tournament. Marshall Wood (flu) is questionable.</p>&mdash; Mike Barber (@RTD_MikeBarber) <a href="https://twitter.com/RTD_MikeBarber/statuses/443430465241088000">March 11, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A lot. There's no hand sanitizer in JJ's doghouse.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so, do we sweep miami? i doubt it

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've seen, Wood is easily replaceable. Nothing against JJ....I like the guy, but think he was in over his head to begin with, but took advantage of the situation. I just think we need someone to come in and revitalize the program (including the fan base) from top to bottom. And I think Babcock will get this done. I am not sure how VT will compete with top programs in regards to salary, so unfortunately the hire will surely come from a mid-major which is always a gamble.

One name I haven't heard mentioned is Jeff Capel....although VT may be lucky to exceed what he currently makes at Duke!
-Former VCU and Oklahoma HC
-Years of experience under Coach K has a player and assistant
-Deep ties to the state of Virginia and the ACC

That would be a pretty interesting hire. I think I would be fine with that. The stuff he has learned under coach K would be very helpful

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard some interesting dialogue from local sports guy Justin Ditmore on the radio yesterday. Although I am not a huge follower of ACC. Basketball, it made sense to me.

He suggested Whit should put some feelers out there to solid D1 head coaches to see if there is genuine interest in the job. If so, get rid of JJ, eat the money on his contract and start the process of starting over fresh. He doesn't think the ACC is a place for an assistant to get their first HC gig and that although the players are playing hard for JJ he is probably in over his head, and that's not all his fault. If you don't feel you can get that guy that will cause a buzz with a solid hire, put asses in the stands, and excite the fanbase then give Johnson one more year to prove he belongs. This will give the athletic department more time to get past the money owed to Greenburg, Weaver, and potentially JJ if he doesn't cut the mustard. It also gives him more time to raise the money it would require to get a big time coach in place, while still keeping the department in a good place financially.
I know this may not be very fair to JJ, but it's a business, you have to spend money to make money.

Weaver did a poor job of getting the right guy after Stokes AND Greenburg. The guys hired were not even our 2nd or 3rd choices. We don't want that to happen if JJ is cut loose. Another assistant or low level head coach who isn't much (if at all) of an upgrade from Greenburg or Johnson. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard some interesting dialogue from local sports guy Justin Ditmore on the radio yesterday. Although I am not a huge follower of ACC. Basketball, it made sense to me.

He suggested Whit should put some feelers out there to solid D1 head coaches to see if there is genuine interest in the job. If so, get rid of JJ, eat the money on his contract and start the process of starting over fresh. He doesn't think the ACC is a place for an assistant to get their first HC gig and that although the players are playing hard for JJ he is probably in over his head, and that's not all his fault. If you don't feel you can get that guy that will cause a buzz with a solid hire, put asses in the stands, and excite the fanbase then give Johnson one more year to prove he belongs. This will give the athletic department more time to get past the money owed to Greenburg, Weaver, and potentially JJ if he doesn't cut the mustard. It also gives him more time to raise the money it would require to get a big time coach in place, while still keeping the department in a good place financially.
I know this may not be very fair to JJ, but it's a business, you have to spend money to make money.

Weaver did a poor job of getting the right guy after Stokes AND Greenburg. The guys hired were not even our 2nd or 3rd choices. We don't want that to happen if JJ is cut loose. Another assistant or low level head coach who isn't much (if at all) of an upgrade from Greenburg or Johnson. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

If Whit hasn't put feelers out there already, then hiring a new coach this spring will be difficult. I don't think the fan base will come around until changes are made first.
This is worth a read: TechSideline.com Mens Basketball Board Post

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am all for a new coach if we can get a good one. I just have my doubts about that right now. Secondly, the fan base will come around as soon as we start winning. That may or may not require a new coach.