• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Va Tech basketball

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything keeps him from having success in the NBA, its his defense. There are tons of guards who can score and pass. Defensive is more valuable.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good vid. I think he'll be ok defensively if he keeps working on his game. He's got good measurables for a PG. It's really going to be a mental thing considering how complex NBA defenses can be at times. But if a guy like Nate Robinson can learn to be a marginally good defensive player, surely Green can be capable.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good vid. I think he'll be ok defensively if he keeps working on his game. He's got good measurables for a PG. It's really going to be a mental thing considering how complex NBA defenses can be at times. But if a guy like Nate Robinson can learn to be a marginally good defensive player, surely Green can be capable.
Yeah I think you're right. He is already good at on ball defense. He just needs to add muscle on his frame so he doesn't get caught up in screens so easily.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter
Just when you thought this game couldn't get any crazier Montrezl Harrell SLAMS his way into #SCtop10 HISTORY.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter
Just when you thought this game couldn't get any crazier Montrezl Harrell SLAMS his way into #SCtop10 HISTORY.
images

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lots of good info on a number of VT basketball issues here... early season opponents, filling Brown's roster spot, filling the assistant coaching opening, etc.: Tech invited to Coaches Vs. Cancer event - Virginia Tech Sports

I assume we'll play either Michigan or Oklahoma, and then the winner/loser of Seton Hall vs. the other.

Good to hear that Johnson has met with everyone and doesn't expect any more transfers.

I worry about having a huge freshman class that is unlikely to produce a bunch of early NBA entrants. Either the unlikely happens, or we have a number of guys transfer (a trend I'd much rather see end), or we'll have a huge portion of the roster tied up in one class.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
lots of good info on a number of VT basketball issues here... early season opponents, filling Brown's roster spot, filling the assistant coaching opening, etc.: Tech invited to Coaches Vs. Cancer event - Virginia Tech Sports

I assume we'll play either Michigan or Oklahoma, and then the winner/loser of Seton Hall vs. the other.

Good to hear that Johnson has met with everyone and doesn't expect any more transfers.

I worry about having a huge freshman class that is unlikely to produce a bunch of early NBA entrants. Either the unlikely happens, or we have a number of guys transfer (a trend I'd much rather see end), or we'll have a huge portion of the roster tied up in one class.

I would think you'd see transfers of guys who aren't getting playing time.

They've been too short of bodies in recent year, so I think JJ's strategy is sound.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we're losing two guys from this year's team (Rob and EG). We're bringing in five, plus Adam Smith will become eligible. That's +4 from where we were last year. We should not be short on bodies.

If there were great options out there, I could see taking another guy in this class, but it's so late at this point... I would think we'd have better luck finding value in a transfer. We should have plenty of bodies next year to afford them sitting out, and it wouldn't add to the size of this already prodigious class.

But they don't pay me the big bucks to make these calls. :) I suppose there's also the injury factor, which could cause a guy to drop down a class.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm just happy that we're getting invites to premiere events. Greenberg was excellent at building up outside relations with tournaments, the media, etc and that generates great exposure for us. That definitely helps in recruiting because guys know they'll not only be on TV but also have the chance to play at some nice venues. I was worried that if we struggle under JJ like we did in the first year, we'll just be overlooked.

I wouldn't worry too much about the part I bolded. The roster is bare because of a lot of transfers already mostly because of conflicts with Greenberg. We have to stock up on usable bodies. It really boosts our practices if our good players can actually practice against talent and not just walk ons filling a spot. Sure, if we get 6 guys, 2 may transfer, but at this point, that's what we're just going to have to live with. If JJ can develop into a nice coach (I'm pretty skeptical but I won't rant), the roster will balance itself out. You should have to worry about being down a huge chunk of players every 4 years when a class leaves.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
CvC is a sweet gig. We've also tended to play better against good teams the past decade. Hopefully our guys atleast make it fun to watch. With the Cuse in the family now, New York needs some ACC love. Continuing to make appearancees in NYC is a good thing for us.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't worry too much about the part I bolded. The roster is bare because of a lot of transfers already mostly because of conflicts with Greenberg. We have to stock up on usable bodies. It really boosts our practices if our good players can actually practice against talent and not just walk ons filling a spot. Sure, if we get 6 guys, 2 may transfer, but at this point, that's what we're just going to have to live with. If JJ can develop into a nice coach (I'm pretty skeptical but I won't rant), the roster will balance itself out. You should have to worry about being down a huge chunk of players every 4 years when a class leaves.

Bobby Brown (possibly Barksdale) had issues with Greenberg? The roster IS a serious issue. Next year will be brutal.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
per Berman: "Virginia Tech’s Jarell Eddie had a nagging knee injury this season and had arthroscopic knee surgery today to take care of some loose cartilage. He will be out 4-6 weeks, which given that the season is over, is obviously not a problem."

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
per Berman: "Virginia Tech’s Jarell Eddie had a nagging knee injury this season and had arthroscopic knee surgery today to take care of some loose cartilage. He will be out 4-6 weeks, which given that the season is over, is obviously not a problem."
Wonder if it affected his shooting at all.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobby Brown (possibly Barksdale) had issues with Greenberg? The roster IS a serious issue. Next year will be brutal.
Barksdale isn't going anywhere and Robert Brown was home sick. Not much we can do about that.

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
KipTJam ‏@KipTJam 2h
Visited VT St Joes and George Mason officially. Cancelled visit last weekend to West Va, who offered

KipTJam ‏@KipTJam 1h
Pitt and Maryland came in last week and offered . Villanova offered as well, evaluated Wilson 7 times this year

KipTJam ‏@KipTJam 1h
1 more thing on Wilson. If you hear WVU trying to say they didnt offer or weren't involved, do NOT believe that spin at all. It's HuggyBear