• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Va Tech basketball

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could just be something unrelated but w/e

Mr. Raines ‏@Raines_4VT 3m
Dang

Probably went to West End only to discover they were sold out of London Broil

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's official on Hokiesports, Brown is gone.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like VT assistant Mark Byington will be taking the head coaching position at Georgia Southern

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like VT assistant Mark Byington will be taking the head coaching position at Georgia Southern

Hopefully his replacement is someone that can teach defense

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is defense the thing were you prevent the other team from putting the ball in the basket? I heard it was against the rules.

Hahaha

Anybody seen anything on the supposed second transfer? There were rumbling someone else was leaving but no names were ever brought up

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would think Barksdale was the other people were referring to. But apparently JJ said in an article that he doesn't expect any more attrition.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously though, it is pretty depressing watching an NBA defense and then thinking how pathetic our defense played as a team. You don't even need good defenders to have a good team defense, look at some of the Greenberg coached teams.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously though, it is pretty depressing watching an NBA defense and then thinking how pathetic our defense played as a team. You don't even need good defenders to have a good team defense, look at some of the Greenberg coached teams.

Wichita State's defense looked pretty nasty. VT really dropped the ball not ponying up for Gregg Marshall. You have to think he would have strongly considered the move.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wichita State's defense looked pretty nasty. VT really dropped the ball not ponying up for Gregg Marshall. You have to think he would have strongly considered the move.

Agreed. It was a mistake not ponying up period. There were a handful of good coaches interested but pulled out as soon as Weaver indicated he wasn't going to pay. I said it a lot last year during the search and I'll say it again because I believe its true, VT has the makings of a nice program. The mid-atlantic from NC, VA, MD, up to PA is LOADED with good talent. You don't have to pull 4 and 5 stars to have a quality program in the area. Plus, there's not much pressure. If you make the tournament at VT once every 3 to 4 years, you're pretty much an idol.Toss in the major conference security along with our new facilities and its an attractive job. BUT you have to pay a coach. It's going to take anywhere from 1.5 to 2 mil to land a good guy.

I truly believe we could have landed someone last year based on all that above. But instead of doing a legit national search, Weaver literally short changed us. Hiring JJ at his salary is almost like a glorified internship.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. It was a mistake not ponying up period. There were a handful of good coaches interested but pulled out as soon as Weaver indicated he wasn't going to pay. I said it a lot last year during the search and I'll say it again because I believe its true, VT has the makings of a nice program. The mid-atlantic from NC, VA, MD, up to PA is LOADED with good talent. You don't have to pull 4 and 5 stars to have a quality program in the area. Plus, there's not much pressure. If you make the tournament at VT once every 3 to 4 years, you're pretty much an idol.Toss in the major conference security along with our new facilities and its an attractive job. BUT you have to pay a coach. It's going to take anywhere from 1.5 to 2 mil to land a good guy.

I truly believe we could have landed someone last year based on all that above. But instead of doing a legit national search, Weaver literally short changed us. Hiring JJ at his salary is almost like a glorified internship.

Except Weaver doesn't care about our athletic program.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The fact that Marshall isn't our coach right now has absolutely nothing to do with money. He just wasn't interested, period.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
By Associated Press, Published: April 1 | Updated: Tuesday, April 2, 8:36 AM

LOS ANGELES — Southern California hired Andy Enfield as men’s basketball coach on Monday night after he took Florida Gulf Coast to the round of 16 of the NCAA tournament.
--------

THIS is how you hire a basketball coach. Pay them after they prove themselves somewhere else.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Associated Press, Published: April 1 | Updated: Tuesday, April 2, 8:36 AM

LOS ANGELES — Southern California hired Andy Enfield as men’s basketball coach on Monday night after he took Florida Gulf Coast to the round of 16 of the NCAA tournament.
--------

THIS is how you hire a basketball coach. Pay them after they prove themselves somewhere else.

USC is pretty good at hiring and over paying underqualified coaches. This guy beats a depleted Miami team to open the season and upsets Georgetown and his salary goes from $150,000/yr to >$1mil/yr.....crazy!

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This guy will nonetheless have some recruiting pull, and did a lot for FGCU, since most of us never heard of them before now.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I was most impressed about FGCU is that they have a pretty good defense. I loved the match up zone.