• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Va Tech basketball

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're pretty much going to have play all 8 of our scholarship players every game unless we want our starters dead.

That's generally a standard rotation for most teams, usually 7 to 8 players (probably 7 is average). We're just not use to seeing it in Bburg though cuz Greenberg had a nasty habit of burning out his starters.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's generally a standard rotation for most teams, usually 7 to 8 players (probably 7 is average). We're just not use to seeing it in Bburg though cuz Greenberg had a nasty habit of burning out his starters.
Greenberg burnt out his starters because he had zero depth.

What I meant to say is Wood and Van Zegeren will play a big part if we have depth or not this year. They are big question marks. If they are not ready to play, we really won't have a rotation of six players: Rankin, Green, Brown, Eddie and Raines with Barksdale as the sixth man. I have heard that Van Zegeren has blocked an insane amount of shots in practice, but if he can't defend the post or he can't rebound then he can't play. I saw a video where he made a bunch of threes but I do not know if he is good 3 point shooter or not. It would be nice to spread the floor though. Barksdale and Van Zegeren will benefit from offseason conditioning though. They can both add a lot of muscle to their frame.

Of course, Wood is a big question mark. Wood can shoot and can handle the ball well but he needs to be able to rebound and defend to have playing time. I'm very concerned he might have struggles similar to DFS had.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBI Bubble team for life! Saw JJ rollin deep in his black yukon today. Ridin spinnaz, thugged out as fuck

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He had players, he refused to play them because he's stubborn. No reason he should have played his starters 38 a game. He did more damage to the team by tiring them out than he would have playing guys like Manny Atkins an extra 5 minutes a game. He was incapable of managing minutes effectively.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He had players, he refused to play them because he's stubborn. No reason he should have played his starters 38 a game. He did more damage to the team by tiring them out than he would have playing guys like Manny Atkins an extra 5 minutes a game. He was incapable of managing minutes effectively.

This is true. He lost more close games than any coach I've seen, and a few where VT had a great lead.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manny Atkins averaged double digit minutes and played many 20+ and 30+ minute games.

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What I meant to say is Wood and Van Zegeren will play a big part if we have depth or not this year. They are big question marks. If they are not ready to play, we really won't have a rotation of six players: Rankin, Green, Brown, Eddie and Raines with Barksdale as the sixth man. I have heard that Van Zegeren has blocked an insane amount of shots in practice, but if he can't defend the post or he can't rebound then he can't play. I saw a video where he made a bunch of threes but I do not know if he is good 3 point shooter or not. It would be nice to spread the floor though. Barksdale and Van Zegeren will benefit from offseason conditioning though. They can both add a lot of muscle to their frame.

Of course, Wood is a big question mark. Wood can shoot and can handle the ball well but he needs to be able to rebound and defend to have playing time. I'm very concerned he might have struggles similar to DFS had.

I expect we'll see Barksdale start. We'll need his size down low, and he has the tools. Had a rougher first year than I expected, but I think he puts it together and shows coach he deserves to start. Hoping that Rankin improves enough to start so that Brown can fill that 6th man role. I think he could come in and really ignite things when needed. And we could use a pure point guard that frees Eric up to play SG.

I hear you about VZ. There were a lot of concerns about him coming in, and then the redshirting and nobody getting to see him in action just adds to that. And we really, really need him to be able to provide depth down low. This is one of the keys to our season right here.

I don't have as much concern about Wood. He'll be a freshman and we all know what that means, but I think he'll be good enough to pull a few minutes as needed. And if not, we can go small with Rankin, Green and Brown when Eddie needs a rest. As long as nobody gets injured.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manny Atkins averaged double digit minutes and played many 20+ and 30+ minute games.

o_O

I've checked two different sites and the two years Atkins was with us, he averaged 8 mins and 13 mins respectfully. You're not logging many 20+ min games if you're averages are between 8 and 13. Meh, its hindsight now. Greenberg is gone so we no longer have to fret about his shortcomings...so long as JJ didn't pick up on any of them

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we got a brand new coach with no experience, but damn, look at the opponent list. Might as well go play some of our intramural teams and save the expenses.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the goal might be to get some tournament experience of some kind for some of the players, and the coaching staff. There's a big learning curve here, so it kind of makes sense.

Since Johnson has the job, I'm willing to cut him some leeway for year or two.

slntkilla

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado State is the only semi-respectable team in that bunch. I know the coach is new, but the team isn't for the most part. We better win this tournament if we're entering it with that weak lineup.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Colorado State made it to the NCAA tournament last year.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can be a big confidence booster as well. Get a few Ws under the belt, and hopefully a tourney crown and then get into the schedule.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
IMO, the team needs a broad spectrum of opponents. The teams listed are mediocre at best, but there are still other OOC teams to play. I think the timing will be good, as our home games are pretty sad during break, and the ability to win is a good booster. The team needs at least a couple of quality opponents before ACC play though. Iowa, Okie St and/or BYU may be a start there (I don't know how they'll turn out or what is and isn't quality anymore). We'll see how the rest of the schedule shakes out.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
According to David Teel tweets, there seems to be some debate about whether this is a done deal yet.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else afraid we're adding too many guards? I know skilled big men are really hard to find but we really need some depth down there.