• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UW vs Illinois @ Solder Field

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3pm Pacific kick off - Grass field with NFL hashes and numbers (college hashes added as well)

Illinois destroyed Cincy last week and did it with a balanced offensive attack that didn't make many mistakes. Their Sr QB was fairly unheralded coming into the season because the knock him was he is a hell of a dual threat runner, but his down field passing was a problem. Well he appears to have learned how to pass over the off season. They used 3 different rushers regularly. None ended up over 70 yards. Their QB completed passes to 11 different targets throughout the game. Cincy ended up with over 450 yards of total offense, but failed to get it done in the red zone and ended up only 3-13 on 3rd downs for the game.

We know what we have in UW, or at least we have some idea. We know from listening to Sark that we will not see the exact same schemes on offense in this game, but we will see the same pace if not faster as they clean up some little things. Versus Boise UW ran mostly 11 and 10 personnel groups. I believe I saw 12 on a few plays, but not many. I don't recall seeing them use 10 very often last year as I don't think we have 4 serviceable WR's to put out there anyway, besides going with no TE isn't something you will do often when you have someone like ASJ on your team. Obviously with his return you can expect them to mostly run 11 and 12. I would expect to see 12 often with ASJ releasing into routes if no blitz is coming off his side. Look for a lot of rotation on the offense again with that depth helping to keep that offense moving at full speed. They now have 5 viable WR's with 4 of them likely to see at least 6 looks each. In the first game KW wasn't even second in receptions for the game, although he did have maybe some of the most important and pressure filled catches.

Sankey. What more can you say? Everyone worried about the running game when Polk left and ended up not skipping a single beat. This kid is a serious beast. I thought Washington played well behind him in game one and had some quality carries.

The story of this game will come down to KP and how much he has grown. For all of the talk about his Sophomore year he still didn't play well in tough road games that year. Just look at the Nebraska game for an example. I believe this new style of offense will go a long way to resolving his road issues. The pace is too fast for him to be able to think too much. He has seconds to get over a play and reset. The pace helps reduce the impact of the fans as well. They are using signs and non verbal communications anyway.

I know we are all sort of asking the same questions, but to me I see this as a coming out party for Price on the national stage and I really like their chances to come away with a win. Their defense has more depth than it has had in a decade and I think they will handle the pressure of the road very well.

Speaking of defense, I watched the Boise game again and while I still think the LB's need to play tighter coverage on crossing routes, I don't think they were as bad as I first thought they were. I think a lot of it was scheme designed to prevent big plays from getting by them. They were playing soft on the shorter routes to contain them and it worked. The secondary was off the chain, but while they only gave up one long pass all game it is worth noting that Boise dropped several long passes to open receivers.

Chime in and give your assessments, concerns, and questions.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spread favors UW right now by 9.5 to 10 at most books.

Shows that most are expressing confidence in UWs ability to win this road game.

And that's the #1 story for UW with this game. We're favored and its at a semi-neutral site with it at Soldier field, instead of Illinois home stadium. But it's still a road game far out of the pacific region. I expect a pretty good turnout of local region and traveling UW fans for this game so should be a solid crowd.

Illinois mixes it up, but plays more up tempo style than BSU so should be an excellent test of our D in a hostile environment.

I'm not worried about our O. I have high confidence in them with this game. The only kink is getting ASJ integrated back in. If we get rolling early expect to see him sparingly. He's still healing up his pinky.

Remember for anyone wanting to catch the game, it's being broadcast on the Big10 network channel so plan accordingly to watch. It's not a standard channel with base cable packages. I don't get it with my cable so will be watching at a sports bar.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont let the score fool you Illinois game last week should of been a lot tighter but Legaux the QB for Cincinnati got hurt. However Sheelhasse has played a lot better this season after a mediocre season last year. Pressure Sheelhasse get into his head and dont allow him to beat you with his feet hes not that dangerous on the run but still. If you get to Sheelhasse and get in his head you should win easily.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm worried about our linebackers getting torched in coverage. Thats my one big concern. Scheelhaase already has more than 1/2 the total yardage he had last year and they are a big play threat. Also far over the mark they achieved on big plays all of last season, I think the stat was plays of 30yds +.

I think this is a win and I know its a game we should win. I'm looking for the Dawgs to pull away and cover the spread in the second half. Don't think the Illini D will keep up with the new offense for long. They are going to score pts though, and I think quite a few.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know why this game is at Soldier Field and not Memorial Stadium? Doesn't really change much, I'm just curious.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm worried about our linebackers getting torched in coverage. Thats my one big concern. Scheelhaase already has more than 1/2 the total yardage he had last year and they are a big play threat. Also far over the mark they achieved on big plays all of last season, I think the stat was plays of 30yds +.

I think this is a win and I know its a game we should win. I'm looking for the Dawgs to pull away and cover the spread in the second half. Don't think the Illini D will keep up with the new offense for long. They are going to score pts though, and I think quite a few.
I've rewatched the BSU game more than once now. I have both the full game and the 1 hour speed game saved and I watched that defense fairly closely on the one version. I think they were giving soft coverage over the short crossing routes on purpose. Their game plan coming in (according to sark) was keep everything in front of them and not let any short play break for long gains. I did see a few blown coverages and of course there were some missed tackles, but overall I'd give that defense a solid B+ for the game and that's crazy good considering it was the first game and where this defense came from over the last 2 years.

Any real quality offense is going to score in college at some point. If they are that good we may not keep them from the endzone like BSU, but I believe they will still do a great job of limiting big plays over the course of the game and with our offense that should be more than good enough against just about anybody.
Illinois mixes it up, but plays more up tempo style than BSU so should be an excellent test of our D in a hostile environment.
BSU didn't huddle once the entire game just like us. Not sure you can get much more uptempo than what they ran. BSU ran something like 84 plays for the game.

I don't know anything about Illinois base offense, but from what I've read about the team they lack depth on the defense specifically and at key positions on the offense. Running an uptempo offense wouldn't seem to suit that young of a team and our running it is bound to tire their team out in the second half. I don't care if we are down 14 at half time. I don't see illinois being able to rotate enough and stay fresh enough to withstand what UW will bring in the second half. I really don't.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know why this game is at Soldier Field and not Memorial Stadium? Doesn't really change much, I'm just curious.

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - Illinois will host a "Chicago Homecoming" this fall for the thousands of UI alumni in Chicagoland when the Fighting Illini face the Washington Huskies at historic Soldier Field on Sept. 14.

As part of the Chicago Homecoming festivities, there will be tailgating opportunities and a special Chicago-style Street Fest area located just outside Soldier Field for fans and alumni to enjoy a day full of activities at the historic home of the Chicago Bears.

"The Fighting Illini football game at Soldier Field in September will be an outstanding opportunity for our fans and alumni to experience a game at one of the nation's iconic football venues," Director of Athletics Mike Thomas said. "We'll bring as much tradition and Illini game-day atmosphere as possible to the Windy City as we celebrate a Chicago Homecoming. I have no doubt this will be a very memorable day for fans of all ages."

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - Illinois will host a "Chicago Homecoming" this fall for the thousands of UI alumni in Chicagoland when the Fighting Illini face the Washington Huskies at historic Soldier Field on Sept. 14.

As part of the Chicago Homecoming festivities, there will be tailgating opportunities and a special Chicago-style Street Fest area located just outside Soldier Field for fans and alumni to enjoy a day full of activities at the historic home of the Chicago Bears.

"The Fighting Illini football game at Soldier Field in September will be an outstanding opportunity for our fans and alumni to experience a game at one of the nation's iconic football venues," Director of Athletics Mike Thomas said. "We'll bring as much tradition and Illini game-day atmosphere as possible to the Windy City as we celebrate a Chicago Homecoming. I have no doubt this will be a very memorable day for fans of all ages."

The tradition of getting blown out. :lol:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The UW football equipment truck was loading up today for the trip to Chicago.

415595_500x500wc.jpg

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW announced they will be sporting the American flag helmets again in remembrance of 9/11 for the Illinois game.

fbl-uw-hawaii-2575-HR.jpg

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome helmets looks like you guys are having a better time over here, we have an Oregon State troll trying to tell us off on the ASU Vs Wisconsin thread.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome helmets looks like you guys are having a better time over here, we have an Oregon State troll trying to tell us off on the ASU Vs Wisconsin thread.

There is a big difference between a thread on a team board and one on the college football board. Trolling is not allowed on boards like this and will generally get your posts removed. Pretty much everything google safe is allowed on the general board.

And since you are relatively new here you haven't learned how to deal with wallace. I wouldn't call him a troll at all. He is his own dewd to be sure, but he is relatively harmless. Don't take it all too seriously and you will be fine.

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oregon State? Very odd considering the egg they laid two weeks ago.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huskies landed in Chicago this afternoon. Sark reporting the team will catch a movie tomorrow afternoon and check out the town.

https://twitter.com/KeithPrice17/statuses/378254257767473152

Last edited by a moderator:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some info from a sports writer who covers the Illini, Ricky Widmer.

1. Who would you say is the most valuable player for the Illinois defense? How key will a good game from him be for the Illini?

I can’t pick one player on the Illini defense to be the MVP. There are two players I’d pick in linebackers Jonathan Brown and Mason Monheim. Illini will need great games out of both if they want to win. One thing the Illini defense has done well this season is control their opponents’ run game and they will need to do the same on Saturday. There are a lot of big players on the Washington offense, but I think the biggest one will running back Bishop Sankey. Because of this, Brown and Monheim will need to clog up any if all running lanes on Saturday.

2. Which offensive player for Washington do you feel will be the biggest issue for Illinois to gameplan against?

Bishop Sankey, hands down. Illinois has had to deal with a good quarterback this season (Munchie Legaux), but they haven’t had to deal with a primer running back yet this season. I think Sankey has the power to beat the Illini defense, but Illinois has been good against the run this season.

3. Illinois was iffy in the win over Southern Illinois but looked great last week against Cincinnati. Do you expect the Illini to execute against Washington like they did against Cincinnati, or do you feel they may revert back to their season-opening struggles?

Better every week. That is what I’m looking for from the Illini this season. With that kind of thinking, Illinois should be better than they were last week against Cincinnati. Washington should be a little worried about Saturday because of how big of a game it is for the Illini. Not only is Washington a quality opponent, but this game is only Illinois’ chance to rival Northwestern in Chicago and make a stance in the recruiting battle for Chicago.

4. Do you feel that Washington is overrated at #19 after the single win over Boise State?

I wouldn’t say that Washington is overrated at all. I mean, the Huskies might not be the Pac-12 champion this season (save that award for Stanford or Oregon). However, the Huskies are a very quality opponent and a good test for the Illini. Plus, I rather Washington be ranked #19 coming into this game because then the Illini can break the Top 25 with a win.

5. If Illinois loses this Saturday, how will you feel about the rest of their season? Do you think they’d still be prepared to build off of the 2-1 start during Big Ten play?

Illinois only won two games in 2012. Anything over that total is a positive in 2013. The Illini have proved that they have an offensive identity to build off of for the future with Bill Cubit, and things are looking up for the team. If the Huskies beat Illinois, I will still feel very positive about this season in the Big Ten. Anything can happen in conference play and Illinois might be that team that surprises some conference opponents this season.

6) Prediction time: Who do you got and why?

Illinois 38, Washington 35

Not only is the Chicago Homecoming game the most important non-conference game for Illinois, but it could be seen as the most important game of their season as well. Illinois and Northwestern have always fought over the city of Chicago and Northwestern even calls themselves, “Chicago’s Big Ten team.” On top of that, Illinois have a chance to win more games than they did a year ago after their first three games of the season. With a win this week, Illinois could also break into the AP Top 25.

nflspense

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, any word on what station it'll be on in the Seattle area? Huskies website said big 10 network... but the network has a different game listed at 3pm...

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, any word on what station it'll be on in the Seattle area? Huskies website said big 10 network... but the network has a different game listed at 3pm...

It's on the Big10 network for sure.

Comcast ch 404 or 632

Dish Network 439

DirecTV 610

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After afternoon practice at Grant Park, Huskies did their walkthrough at Soldier field.

tumblr_mt38bnUMmZ1sdkbydo2_1280.jpg

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like I'm staying home and watching it on a live stream online while listening to Bob and co on the tunein feed.

Let's get it done dawgs! Time to get to 2-0 and see where they are after two more weeks of working more on that offense.

uwdawgfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 35.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate these uniforms....