• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USC>>>UCF???

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I'm disgusted with my teams overall effort to schedule OOC. While we do got some good teams on the docket....Oklahoma State, Michigan State, Florida State, Oregon, Washington State, we have no business scheduling Portland State and even Marshall. When you play in the MWC or the AAC you need load that bitch with P5s. For God sake even mid rift teams like Minnesota, Iowa State or Arizona State look good on paper. If you can't beat the majority of those guys you really shouldn't be in the conversation anyway.

PS...as upset as I am with our OOC effort, I'd puke with UCF's effort.
Marshall is fine, but Portland State is a no-no. fyi: I'd enjoy an Iowa St-Boise St series, and it is not out of the question, as Iowa State usually has a non P-5 OOC series going with the notable exception of this year - which is the first year in forever the Cyclones have not had an OOC road game. Future road trips (besides B1G Iowa in the even years) include @ UNLV (MWC) in 2021, @ Ohio Univ. (MAC) in 2023, @ Arkansas State (Sun Belt) in 2025, @ Bowling Green (MAC) in 2027 and @ Tulane (AAC) in 2029.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once these dorks realize they can make a boatload more cash by going to an 8 team playoff it will happen. Money drives sports. It just does.

That's where I think you are wrong. The people paying for the playoffs all work for ESPN. They also own the rights to the majority of the bowl games. Why would they pay more for Clemson vs Auburn in a Quarterfinal when instead of Auburn vs Ohio St in the Rose Bowl, now they are getting Michigan vs Oregon in the Rose...but almost as importantly...they are not going to have anybody in the 4 lowest tier bowls that they not only have the rights for, but own outright.

ESPN is never going to pay for something they already get for free. In their mind 1vs8 + 4vs5, is not financially better than 1vs4 + 6vs8 when you already paid for the latter and people like you expect them to pay millions for the former.

The Championship game and semifinals are going to make the same money under either format, so you are making the assumption that a quarterfinal game is going to draw significantly better than a NY6 bowl...and the truth is, people watch the NY6 bowls regardless of matchup, so where are the profits?

cooljack

Destroyer of Worlds
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where I think you are wrong. The people paying for the playoffs all work for ESPN. They also own the rights to the majority of the bowl games. Why would they pay more for Clemson vs Auburn in a Quarterfinal when instead of Auburn vs Ohio St in the Rose Bowl, now they are getting Michigan vs Oregon in the Rose...but almost as importantly...they are not going to have anybody in the 4 lowest tier bowls that they not only have the rights for, but own outright.

ESPN is never going to pay for something they already get for free. In their mind 1vs8 + 4vs5, is not financially better than 1vs4 + 6vs8 when you already paid for the latter and people like you expect them to pay millions for the former.

The Championship game and semifinals are going to make the same money under either format, so you are making the assumption that a quarterfinal game is going to draw significantly better than a NY6 bowl...and the truth is, people watch the NY6 bowls regardless of matchup, so where are the profits?

The ESPN contract will expire eventually. We're probably a decade or so away but the extra 4 playoff games and all the huge revenue involved will outweigh all else eventually. An 8 team playoff will happen.

It is just a matter of time before the big rich wiffendorks realize the amount of cash they are throwing away by only having 2 semi games and a final when they could have the revenues from 7 games instead. Trust me it will happen even if I don't live long enough to see it happen.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marshall is fine, but Portland State is a no-no. fyi: I'd enjoy an Iowa St-Boise St series, and it is not out of the question, as Iowa State usually has a non P-5 OOC series going with the notable exception of this year - which is the first year in forever the Cyclones have not had an OOC road game. Future road trips (besides B1G Iowa in the even years) include @ UNLV (MWC) in 2021, @ Ohio Univ. (MAC) in 2023, @ Arkansas State (Sun Belt) in 2025, @ Bowling Green (MAC) in 2027 and @ Tulane (AAC) in 2029.
FYI I sat right on the edge of the Iowa State section the last/only time they came to the blue. Totally classy folks in a tough situation. If we sold beer I'd have sent a half dozen to the folks just across the isle.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ESPN contract will expire eventually. We're probably a decade or so away but the extra 4 playoff games and all the huge revenue involved will outweigh all else eventually. An 8 team playoff will happen.

It is just a matter of time before the big rich wiffendorks realize the amount of cash they are throwing away by only having 2 semi games and a final when they could have the revenues from 7 games instead. Trust me it will happen even if I don't live long enough to see it happen.

The point I was making is they don't think there is more money, so they don't see where they are throwing any away...and you're unconvincing argument of "because more money" is not persuading anyone who has to write a check.

As I said, Quarterfinals do not equal more money than NY6 in their eyes and only serve to cannibalize the games they are already showing...and if you think Fox or some other network is going to outbid the company that outright owns 16 bowls, you are delusional.

If ESPN thought there was money to be made on an 8-team playoff, guess what, there would already be an 8-team playoff.

cooljack

Destroyer of Worlds
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point I was making is they don't think there is more money, so they don't see where they are throwing any away...and you're unconvincing argument of "because more money" is not persuading anyone who has to write a check.

As I said, Quarterfinals do not equal more money than NY6 in their eyes and only serve to cannibalize the games they are already showing...and if you think Fox or some other network is going to outbid the company that outright owns 16 bowls, you are delusional.

If ESPN thought there was money to be made on an 8-team playoff, guess what, there would already be an 8-team playoff.

Wrong. The powers-that-be only want a 4 team playoff and that was hard enough to get right there. Many still gripe at the loss of the BCS and still think only 2 teams should play in one championship bowl game.

Just getting everybody on board with the BCS Championship Game was hard enough and the Rose Bowl held out at first and refused to participate. Or have you forgotten about that?

The only reason we have a 4 team playoff right now is so the rich can keep getting richer. It will go to 8 teams eventually. To say never is wrong. Never is a very long time.

Never say never. Even Sean Connery came back to do another Bond flick for the horde of cash offered to him.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. The powers-that-be only want a 4 team playoff and that was hard enough to get right there. Many still gripe at the loss of the BCS and still think only 2 teams should play in one championship bowl game.

Just getting everybody on board with the BCS Championship Game was hard enough and the Rose Bowl held out at first and refused to participate. Or have you forgotten about that?

The only reason we have a 4 team playoff right now is so the rich can keep getting richer. It will go to 8 teams eventually. To say never is wrong. Never is a very long time.

Never say never. Even Sean Connery came back to do another Bond flick for the horde of cash offered to him.
Not arguing with your logic at all, but with literally 3 dead weeks in December I don't see the down side to expanding to 8. Generates revenue AND eliminates all whimpering.

cooljack

Destroyer of Worlds
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not arguing with your logic at all, but with literally 3 dead weeks in December I don't see the down side to expanding to 8. Generates revenue AND eliminates all whimpering.

Bro that's never going to happen. Whoever gets left out will always pitch a bitch and moan about it. That will not change.

But I get what you're saying so it's all good.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bro that's never going to happen. Whoever gets left out will always pitch a bitch and moan about it. That will not change.

But I get what you're saying so it's all good.
True dat....should have said "nearly all LEGITIMATE whimpering".

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 would definitely be more fair, but the quality of the Championship Game would suffer IMO with an extra Playoff Game. It's already kind of crappy as it is after the quick turn-around from the semis. Thankfully, this year, there is a two week break between the semis and the Championship Game.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI I sat right on the edge of the Iowa State section the last/only time they came to the blue. Totally classy folks in a tough situation. If we sold beer I'd have sent a half dozen to the folks just across the isle.
Thanks for being nice to the Cyclone fans who made it! Unfortunately, I was not one of them as I was in Florida that Bowl season. However, the next time ISU plays @ Boise State, I'll do my best to go!

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, it has already happened, teams like UCF and Boise State are already better than most mid tier P5 teams. But few P5 schools have ANY interest in scheduling home & home games with teams like the Knights or the Broncos. They'd rather schedule FCS schools or really bad Group of 5 teams to come to their house and pad their records.

I don't like it when my team schedules FCS teams that they beat 45-10, nor do I like it when Alabama does it. But there is zero chance that big schools like the Tide will do such a thing like travel to Boise. So one does what they have to do. At least in Boise's defense, they seldom do it, Portland State was only the 3rd FCS team that they've scheduled since they've been a factor in the conversation. But still, that's 3 times too many.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL, if ESPN wanted an 8 team playoff, there would be an 8 team playoff. Money talks bullshit walks. There is not a Conference in the country that would so no to ESPN, they spend way to much money with each conference. ESPN owns 16 bowls and has the tv rights to 35 of 40 bowls and all the NY6 games and playoffs. Why would they fuck up a good thing for them, if they don't see value.

I have no doubt there will be pressure from some quarters to expand to 8, but unless they are willing to do it for no extra money, or ESPN sees value that they do not currently see, it isn't happening. Maybe someday when there is a streaming service willing to pony up a billion dollars, that is unlikely to happen before the next contracts expire.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The time/date has been dictated by CBS for many years now. In fact, the Sun Bowl is one of the few bowl games that is NOT broadcast on ESPN/ABC.

This year it is "High Noon" El Paso time on New Year's Eve. (Good time for a game in the wild, wild, West.)

Well if we ever played it on New Years even I would’ve maybe enjoyed it more. I went a few years back when they played Miami. My co worker had an in law that lives right outside San Antonio so we made in Christmas and

One other thing that is never brought up into the money evaluation. With the NY6 bowls you have nearly a month for fans to book hotels and such. NFL are home games except the Super Bowl which you got two weeks and such. There is a reason tickets remained for Bama vs Clemson and were going for $5 at gametime. You can’t reasonably think two separate fan bases are going to travel to neutral site games 3 times if they make it to a title. As of now with the 4 you only have to make one late minute arrangement and it’s still never a real sellout. We all know the NCAA isn’t going to reach into their pockets once the sponsorship fruit is squeezed dry.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The time/date has been dictated by CBS for many years now. In fact, the Sun Bowl is one of the few bowl games that is NOT broadcast on ESPN/ABC.

This year it is "High Noon" El Paso time on New Year's Eve. (Good time for a game in the wild, wild, West.)

Well when we are involved in the bowl game tell the Sun Bowl folks to make sure it’s on New Years Eve so we can enjoy it. I’m not sure what’s worse taking a day trip to Pullman or El Paso...though I’m sure El Paso is a better place if you stay over night but we were exhausted from our drive from San Antonio and the race back on my one trip there...maybe I’ll give it another try but I also didn’t read the weather report that it was going to snow so maybe my terrible day wasn’t all on El Paso.

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 would definitely be more fair, but the quality of the Championship Game would suffer IMO with an extra Playoff Game. It's already kind of crappy as it is after the quick turn-around from the semis. Thankfully, this year, there is a two week break between the semis and the Championship Game.
Eventually they have to expand to 8. I'd like to see the 5 conference champs (no more than 2 losses) and 3 at large teams. That might allow for "mid major" teams to participate and take their beat down.

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlike Boise, UCF isn't making this all about us. We are UCFighting to change the system.

Our HC and AD has been ruthless about the system being corrupt.

#UCFacts