• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

US Patent Office Cancels Trademark for Washington

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not offended, first and foremost. Unlike you, I actually LISTEN to people.

The NCAI, the National Congress of American Indians, has been fighting this since 1968.

But people like you never listen, or learn.

Unlike you, I value people.

NO matter what side of the fence you sit on this issue, this is an excellent read......lengthy, but good nonetheless.

Washington Redskins racist? Native American views on NFL team name | The MMQB with Peter King

I do not take away anyone's right to feel what they want regarding this debate. I just don't agree with your take. Which is all good.

What I want to emphasize is that there is MUCH to be determined in terms of where public opinion and ESPECIALLY the NA community stands on this issue.

Time will provide the answer and results.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not take away anyone's right to feel what they want regarding this debate. I just don't agree with your take. Which is all good.

What I want to emphasize is that there is MUCH to be determined in terms of where public opinion and ESPECIALLY the NA community stands on this issue.

Time will provide the answer and results.

I can respect your position. I don't think public opinion really matters here. If the NA community does not support it, they have their reasons for it. Many don't understand why they are against a lot of the indian mascots either.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here - why don't you read what an actual Indian thinks on the matter.

A 'Redskin' Is the Scalped Head of a Native American, Sold, Like a Pelt, for Cash - Esquire

That does notmatch what I am finding, maybe it is the NA's that have perputrated the real crime here.

"Redskin is first recorded in the late 17th century and was applied to the Algonquian peoples generally, but specifically to the Delaware (who lived in what is now southern New York State and New York City, New Jersey, and eastern Pennsylvania). Redskin referred not to the natural skin color of the Delaware, but to their use of vermilion face paint and body paint. In time, however, through a process that in linguistics is called pejoration, by which a neutral term acquires an unfavorable connotation or denotation, redskin lost its neutral, accurate descriptive sense and became a term of disparagement. Red man is first recorded in the early 17th century and was originally neutral in tone. Red Indian is first recorded in the early 19th century and was used by the British, far more than by Americans, to distinguish the Indians of the subcontinent from the Indians of the Americas. All three terms are dated or offensive. American Indian and Native American are now the standard umbrella terms. Of course, if it is possible or appropriate, one can also use specific tribal names (Cheyenne, Nez Percé, etc.)."
redskin: definition of redskin in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)

noun Slang: Often Disparaging and Offensive.
a North American Indian.
Redskin | Define Redskin at Dictionary.com

"But where did the word "redskin" come from? Many dictionaries and history books say the term came about in reference to the Beothuk tribe of what is now Newfoundland, Canada. The Beothuk were said to paint their bodies with red ochre, leading white settlers to refer to them as "red men."According to Smithsonian historian Ives Goddard, early historical records indicate that "Redskin" was used as a self-identifier by Native Americans to differentiate between the two races. Goddard found that the first use of the word "redskin" came in 1769, in negotiations between the Piankashaws and Col. John Wilkins. Throughout the 1800s, the word was frequently used by Native Americans as they negotiated with the French and later the Americans."

Are You Ready For Some Controversy? The History Of 'Redskin' : Code Switch : NPR

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can respect your position. I don't think public opinion really matters here. If the NA community does not support it, they have their reasons for it. Many don't understand why they are against a lot of the indian mascots either.

:suds: Cheers Star. Thx for respectfully agreeing to disagree.

I do have to add this small point here. I actually DO think this will play out in the court of public opinion. And history does swing toward the side of the squeaky wheel, way too often. Too the detriment of personal/civil liberties, way too often.

I just hope it will include the Majority of NAs, NOT one outlier vocal corrupt spokesperson (with an agenda, the dude has done nothing to help his tribe) from the Oneida nation and 50 white senators that want their 15 minutes of fame, when they should be focused on REAL issues facing NAs and the country at large.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robotic Dreams, you are once again spot on. I especially enjoyed the reference to what it must be like to be a liberal "pussy". lol.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds: Cheers Star. Thx for respectfully agreeing to disagree.

I do have to add this small point here. I actually DO think this will play out in the court of public opinion. And history does swing toward the side of the squeaky wheel, way too often. Too the detriment of personal/civil liberties, way too often.

I just hope it will include the Majority of NAs, NOT one outlier vocal corrupt spokesperson (with an agenda, the dude has done nothing to help his tribe) from the Oneida nation and 50 white senators that want their 15 minutes of fame, when they should be focused on REAL issues facing NAs and the country at large.

Man I've watched the skins for years......so as a FAN of football, I do have an attachment to the name.

But I do understand (or at least attempt to) the Native Americans and how they feel here. MANY of their concerns do not get addressed because they are such a small part of the population. NO politician has to ever worry about losing their seat because of the NA vote.

Once again - they've been fighting this since 1968......this is not about one man's crusade. This has been going on for quite a long time.

I respect the opinions of those who are at least ATTEMPTING to hear both sides of the issue. Some here simply are incapable of walking in others' shoes.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The term "redskin" is, at most, an obsolete slur. Pretty common in the 19th Century, and maybe the early 20th. Not really used today. Find me an American Indian who has actually been called a redskin, and maybe I'll agree that they have something to bitch about.

I'm not a Skins fan, or an American Indian, so I normally wouldn't care either way. HOWEVER, as a matter of principle, I oppose political correctness across the board, as a threat to freedom of speech and thought.

The Skins should appeal, to the SCOTUS if need be. And if all else fails, they should dump the logo (a relatively dignified Indian portrait, based on the old Buffalo nickel), and demand to keep the trademarked name with a new, non-Indian logo...a couple of those little red potatoes. Yes...I'm saying DEFY this ruling. Freedom must trump "sensitivity" in this country.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The term "redskin" is, at most, an obsolete slur. Pretty common in the 19th Century, and maybe the early 20th. Not really used today. Find me an American Indian who has actually been called a redskin, and maybe I'll agree that they have something to bitch about.

I'm not a Skins fan, or an American Indian, so I normally wouldn't care either way. HOWEVER, as a matter of principle, I oppose political correctness across the board, as a threat to freedom of speech and thought.

The Skins should appeal, to the SCOTUS if need be. And if all else fails, they should dump the logo (a relatively dignified Indian portrait, based on the old Buffalo nickel), and demand to keep the trademarked name with a new, non-Indian logo...a couple of those little red potatoes. Yes...I'm saying DEFY this ruling. Freedom must trump "sensitivity" in this country.

The ruling doesn't really change anything.

They still have the logo and name.......its just dubious at best if you use it and they sue that they can win. They probably will anyway because they'll have more cash on hand than you.

This ruling does affect cash flow, but other than that doesn't mean a whole lot. This isn't even the first time they've lost the trademark.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't understand why people are so offended by the name. I might be wrong but I don't believe the people who chose the name for the team meant it as an insult to indians. I would imagine it was meant to show the team as warriors. Isn't there more important things to focus our attention on? I can without question say if they ever named a team the Las Vegas Honkeys, Portland Crackers or Mississippi White Trash I wouldn't even pretend to be upset about it, who cares, move on!

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am Irish... I am offended by the name 'FIGHTING' Irish... and a logo of a leprechaun.... Notre Dame must be held accountable for this heinous stereotype. We must put a stop to this once and for all.

No kidding. Everybody complains about the Cleveland Indians logo being offensive, but really the Fighting Irish is just as bad when you get right down to it.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't understand why people are so offended by the name. I might be wrong but I don't believe the people who chose the name for the team meant it as an insult to indians. I would imagine it was meant to show the team as warriors. Isn't there more important things to focus our attention on? I can without question say if they ever named a team the Las Vegas Honkeys, Portland Crackers or Mississippi White Trash I wouldn't even pretend to be upset about it, who cares, move on!

As long as there the "white cheddar" Crackers and NOT "yellow belly" ones.:whistle:

BTW...

How long before China starts dumping cheap "injun" gear on us all?

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FACT: YOU do not, nor does Dan Snyder, get to DECIDE what is racist to a population. The American Indian, enmasse, has been beating this drum for decades.

wrong, not even 1/10th of Indians care

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So people in the government are going beyond their function to target people because of political issues? I don't believe it.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wrong, not even 1/10th of Indians care

It's funny how people continue to reference a bullshit poll from 10 years ago.

They are also Native Americans. Indians are citizens of India.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, where the hell is a newer unbiased poll that supports this PC Insanity? Right. There isn't one. You bet your ass, if it existed, it would be publicized.

Also the term Native American was a term the US Census Bureau came up with, Not NAs. Yet another example of people who are not NAs determining what they should be 'named'. Continued hypocrisy.

The most appropriate term to reference, would actually be by tribal name.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

its a general understood term and I'll use it. yep, its been 10 years and still the only people visibly bitching are a bunch of dumb white people.

this is just a personal agenda brought about by a few Indians with political aspirations. lets say they change the name...the indian population wont change and the government still wont help them with anything valid and all they did was kill their heritage by killing anything that points at indian history in America

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, where the hell is a newer unbiased poll that supports this PC Insanity? Right. There isn't one. You bet your ass, if it existed, it would be publicized.

Also the term Native American was a term the US Census Bureau came up with, Not NAs. Yet another example of people who are not NAs determining what they should be 'named'. Continued hypocrisy.

The most appropriate term to reference, would actually be by tribal name.

A. If you truly are interested in the newer unbiased polls, I give you a head start. Google You have to do the rest...no free rides.

B. I'm not referencing only one tribe or else I absolutely would refer to them by their tribal name.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A. If you truly are interested in the newer unbiased polls, I give you a head start. Google You have to do the rest...no free rides.

B. I'm not referencing only one tribe or else I absolutely would refer to them by their tribal name.

ive googled for the last 6 months and there is nothing substantial to crow about