• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

US Patent Office Cancels Trademark for Washington

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. The correct definition of the 'n word' is ignorant. Does anyone actually use it in that form? No, people use it for it's racist meaning. I have never in my life heard someone use the word 'redskin' as an insult.

Some total ignoramus might have used it that way, but it is definitely NOT traditionally used in that context. :suds:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but your post has to be the DUMBEST post I have ever seen.

You start out by saying it is racist, and you claim it is affecting real people. How the hell is a name that has been in use for a few decades affecting anyone other than the person that wants their 15 minutes of fame?

Yes, this means a few $$$ for the Washington Redskins, but what about every other team or school out there? The HS that my Dad went to was the Chiefs, my Mom was a Redmen, and how much is it going to cost the schools to change? Has there been outrage at the local levels? No there has not been, this proves that you sir are the real racist, and the tribes that signed on are also the true racist, not the team and NFL.

There has been quite a lot of outrage at the local level. A lot of high schools and colleges have changed their native american names.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FACT: simply because a dictionary (with continuous changing nuances to definition) declares a word 'possibly' used as a derogatory term, DOES NOT necessarily validate that the word itself is racist. It must ALSO include content and context to be determined racist.

FACT: YOU do not, nor does Dan Snyder, get to DECIDE what is racist to a population. The American Indian, enmasse, has been beating this drum for decades.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FACT: YOU do not, nor does Dan Snyder, get to DECIDE what is racist to a population. The American Indian, enmasse, has been beating this drum for decades.

:suspicious:

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lmfao, you want to support that last sentence with any evidence or should I just take your word for it? Good Lord, you liberals are incredibly offended at all times. I wonder what's it like being such a weak-minded pussy. :noidea:

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The word BY DEFINITION IS A RACIAL SLUR. Try picking up a dictionary.

And American Indians have been fighting this for DECADES, not weeks as some of you seem to imagine. The problem is they only make up 1% of the population, so most of you simply ignored their objections.

You have no ground to stand on. You, and those that think like you, ARE WRONG. It's not a debate or discussion.

FACT - it IS a racial slur.
FACT - EVERY American Indian tribe has signed documentation AGAINST the use of the term
FACT - the truth is in front of you, but you CHOOSE to support the lies.

Continue to wallow in your ignorance. The name will be forcibly changed, it's just a matter of time, and RIGHTFULLY so.

Then maybe the NA's should not have called themself Red Skins. "one of the earliest known citations of its use is by a Native American called Chief Black Thunder [9] in which he stated: “My Father—Restrain your feelings, and hear calmly what I shall say. I shall tell it to you plainly, I shall not speak with fear and trembling. I feel no fear. I have no cause to fear. I have never injured you, and innocence can feel no fear. I turn to all, red skins and white skins, and challenge an accusation against me".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskin_(slang)

Slang, and Racism are not the something.

Racism according to Dictionary.com
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

By using the term Redskins we are not following any of the three outlined points. Therefore it is a slang term, not a racist term.

Slang per Dictionary.com
1. very informal usage in vocabulary and idiom that is characteristically more metaphorical, playful, elliptical, vivid, and ephemeral than ordinary language, as Hit the road.
2. (in English and some other languages) speech and writing characterized by the use of vulgar and socially taboo vocabulary and idiomatic expressions.
3. the jargon of a particular class, profession, etc.
4. the special vocabulary of thieves, vagabonds, etc.; argot.
Maybe you need to get your points correct before you argue them.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Luckily YOU do not either.

This ultimately will be determined by the courts and hopefully, an actual new poll of NAs will be provided that will be a reflection of how the NA community feel about the term TODAY and, NOT the very vocal leader of the Oneida Nation( who is considered a joke by many in his tribe). And a bunch of PC idiots.

And I'll abide by the decision.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then maybe the NA's should not have called themself Red Skins. "one of the earliest known citations of its use is by a Native American called Chief Black Thunder [9] in which he stated: “My Father—Restrain your feelings, and hear calmly what I shall say. I shall tell it to you plainly, I shall not speak with fear and trembling. I feel no fear. I have no cause to fear. I have never injured you, and innocence can feel no fear. I turn to all, red skins and white skins, and challenge an accusation against me".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskin_(slang)

Slang, and Racism are not the something.

Racism according to Dictionary.com
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

By using the term Redskins we are not following any of the three outlined points. Therefore it is a slang term, not a racist term.

Slang per Dictionary.com
1. very informal usage in vocabulary and idiom that is characteristically more metaphorical, playful, elliptical, vivid, and ephemeral than ordinary language, as Hit the road.
2. (in English and some other languages) speech and writing characterized by the use of vulgar and socially taboo vocabulary and idiomatic expressions.
3. the jargon of a particular class, profession, etc.
4. the special vocabulary of thieves, vagabonds, etc.; argot.
Maybe you need to get your points correct before you argue them.

GREAT POST! :suds:

What gets me is the categorical acceptance by some, that 'everyone' knows and accepts the word REDSKIN as a derogatory term. Insanity. This has NOT been determined and/or accepted by everyone, to this point in time.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which is why just 10 years ago, 90% of Native Americans polled said that they did not find the term racist.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmfao, you want to support that last sentence with any evidence or should I just take your word for it? Good Lord, you liberals are incredibly offended at all times. I wonder what's it like being such a weak-minded pussy. :noidea:

Gogle works for you as well as everyone here. They've taken the team to court DECADES ago. This is not new......just your ignorance.

Good Lord, people like you - how do you function being ignorant of EVERYTHING outside of yourself and opinions?

Do you EVER take into account how anyone else feels or is affected by ANYTHING you say or do? Does it ever occur to you that you do not live here alone, and share this great land with all kinds of people?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why just 10 years ago, 90% of Native Americans polled said that they did not find the term racist.

Maybe you should actually look up that "poll" - they've proven that farce for what it was multiple times over. No active members of any tribe were polled

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you should actually look up that "poll" - they've proven that farce for what it was multiple times over. No active members of any tribe were polled

Who's proven it a farce? You like to make a lot of factual statements without any evidence whatsoever to back it up.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:10:

But let's just conveniently NOT use any appropriate polling that doesn't support ones argument. Have the PC police provided any better representation of a newer unbiased poll that supports the 'racist' claims/agenda they purport the Redskins franchise is propagating? Bah. Hypocrisy.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the term Redskin is so offensive to Native Americans "en masse," why are so many schools with high Native American populations called the Redskins?

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gogle works for you as well as everyone here. They've taken the team to court DECADES ago. This is not new......just your ignorance.

Good Lord, people like you - how do you function being ignorant of EVERYTHING outside of yourself and opinions?

Do you EVER take into account how anyone else feels or is affected by ANYTHING you say or do? Does it ever occur to you that you do not live here alone, and share this great land with all kinds of people?

Seeing as how you focus on all "racist" agendas, I find your opinions laughable at best. I'm not ignorant of anything, offended one, I simply don't buy the liberal driven propaganda. You do. That says more about you than it does about me. You're looking for a reason to be offended, I'm not.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing as how you focus on all "racist" agendas, I find your opinions laughable at best. I'm not ignorant of anything, offended one, I simply don't buy the liberal driven propaganda. You do. That says more about you than it does about me. You're looking for a reason to be offended, I'm not.

I'm not offended, first and foremost. Unlike you, I actually LISTEN to people.

The NCAI, the National Congress of American Indians, has been fighting this since 1968.

But people like you never listen, or learn.

Unlike you, I value people.