• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Urban Meyer: 'Penn State deserved to be in playoff'

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the teams that show they are the best over the season. Thats means being good yes, but you also have to win the games and prove it. Sadly, record seems to mean more than SoS, nd SoS decides when record is even. The exception being extreme differences.

LSU had a great resume that year, easily one of the best ever. But the 1st game was close, coming down to FG in OT, and the 2nd match was dominating by Alabama. If the 2nd game had been like the 1st, but exactly the opposite, it'd be different.
See this is where your stance on the system and determining the best teams is flawed. While a lot of people are discussing applying a system.That relies on the teams earning their spot in the play offs on the field.You're focal point is putting emphasis on SOS.Which is relative to rankings.Which while theses systems look at the games on the field.Rely heavily on politics and human opinion.Which leans more towards a paper tiger rather than the best team.The fact is this system is not the best team on the field.Its in actuality the best team on paper based on the opinions.Of people who are sitting in a chair playing Sunday morning QB.

Factor in other variables.Where schedules and rankings are manipulated.From the politics of coaches polls.Down to scheduling sister of the poor games.Where we do not get a clear picture.......To say teams like OSU,Michigan,Alabama,USC....Don't benefit froths system would be asinine.he old flawed systems full of human error.Played a major factor into moving towards the play off system.And as we have seen over the beginning stages of this system.There has been improvement.But there are still some visible inconsistencies and flaws in the system.

As anyone who has ever worked in systems knows.They take time to perfect.And there will always be a need for adjustments.The next step is to leave the rankings for the other bowl games.And arrive at a concrete selection process that removes human error and decisions based on opinions.Add 2-4 more play off spots.P5 conference champions are outbids and 1-3 at large bids.Is one method.Theres been a few others put on the table as well.Fortunately this is something that is being discussed on many levels.And it's looking a lot like they are going to be heading in the direction.Of reducing these question marks and human influence..And progressing to the best system possible.Whether we agree or not

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See this is where your stance on the system and determining the best teams is flawed. While a lot of people are discussing applying a system.That relies on the teams earning their spot in the play offs on the field.You're focal point is putting emphasis on SOS.Which is relative to rankings.Which while theses systems look at the games on the field.Rely heavily on politics and human opinion.Which leans more towards a paper tiger rather than the best team.The fact is this system is not the best team on the field.Its in actuality the best team on paper based on the opinions.Of people who are sitting in a chair playing Sunday morning QB.

Factor in other variables.Where schedules and rankings are manipulated.From the politics of coaches polls.Down to scheduling sister of the poor games.Where we do not get a clear picture.......To say teams like OSU,Michigan,Alabama,USC....Don't benefit froths system would be asinine.he old flawed systems full of human error.Played a major factor into moving towards the play off system.And as we have seen over the beginning stages of this system.There has been improvement.But there are still some visible inconsistencies and flaws in the system.

As anyone who has ever worked in systems knows.They take time to perfect.And there will always be a need for adjustments.The next step is to leave the rankings for the other bowl games.And arrive at a concrete selection process that removes human error and decisions based on opinions.Add 2-4 more play off spots.P5 conference champions are outbids and 1-3 at large bids.Is one method.Theres been a few others put on the table as well.Fortunately this is something that is being discussed on many levels.And it's looking a lot like they are going to be heading in the direction.Of reducing these question marks and human influence..And progressing to the best system possible.Whether we agree or not

It can be simple. Computer has USC 2017 valued at X. Well that is the average value for the team over the season. It doesn't say Bama destroyed them without Darnold. USC beat Washington with Darnold. Computer just sees a W for Bama and an L for Washington. Despite the fact that USC was a much different team between those games. SOS and computer rankings miss things like injuries and development. I am a fan of the geek stats, but I also realize they have limitations. Why I prefer a larger playoff. That and I like meaningful games. The more of them, the happier I am

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were a lot of rumors circling LSU for that title game, which was really strange for an undefeated team. My real point is that teams change over the course of a season. Sometimes it is the development of young talent. It can be injury related, either losing or gaining someone. The idea of proclaiming a "best team" over the course of a season is just stupid. If the idea was to be constant, than why coach after Sept 1? In the end playoffs serve 2 purposes. #1 to crown a champion. #2 to entertain the fan base. The idea of "best team" is nonsense.

It's not an either/or thing. Teams are better than others and that's a fact.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See this is where your stance on the system and determining the best teams is flawed. While a lot of people are discussing applying a system.That relies on the teams earning their spot in the play offs on the field.You're focal point is putting emphasis on SOS.Which is relative to rankings.

SoS is part of what determines ranking, not the other way around.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can be simple. Computer has USC 2017 valued at X. Well that is the average value for the team over the season. It doesn't say Bama destroyed them without Darnold. USC beat Washington with Darnold. Computer just sees a W for Bama and an L for Washington. Despite the fact that USC was a much different team between those games. SOS and computer rankings miss things like injuries and development. I am a fan of the geek stats, but I also realize they have limitations. Why I prefer a larger playoff. That and I like meaningful games. The more of them, the happier I am
I prefer meaningful games too. I don't care for the concept of committees or rankings under their current format. Human error and judgement calls play far too big a role. I want to see it put on the field. Rather than put in a meeting or voting booth. If SC gets there I want them to earn it imo. Definitely agree on play off expansion. There are so many benefits to it. It's insane not to expand

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not an either/or thing. Teams are better than others and that's a fact.

Yes, some teams are better than others and water is wet. Not sure the point.

It is also fact that Team A can be better than Team B in September and Team B can be better than Team A in Dec.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is also fact that Team A can be better than Team B in September and Team B can be better than Team A in Dec.

And all those games count as a "season".

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as we know both are based on off the field opinions. And an easily manipulated system. This is a fact

No, off the field opinon means absolutely nothing when it comes to SoS.

It's not a fact at all.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If team A defeats team B is team A the better team? I find it hard to claim a team that beat a team H2H. Played an extra game and won a conference. Is not the better team. This past season did show a need for stronger guidelines on many levels

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, off the field opinon means absolutely nothing when it comes to SoS.

It's not a fact at all.
So you're saying the AP and committee played the games?The coaches voting took the snaps?Polls and the committee are off the field opinions. Coaches polls are driven by politics.....Fact

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying the AP and committee played the games?The coaches voting took the snaps?Polls and the committee are off the field opinions. Coaches polls are driven by politics.....Fact

If you ever get a remote clue how SoS is done, let me know.

I'll give you a hint: The AP, the commitee and the coaches polls have a factor of......0.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blah, blah, fvckn blah.

Penn St. won the head to head with Ohio St. ... they proved it on the field. Go figure eh.

Penn St. won the B1G championship.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blah, blah, fvckn blah.

Penn St. won the head to head with Ohio St. ... they proved it on the field. Go figure eh.

Penn St. won the B1G championship.
If the committee didn't orchestrate a comeback. Block a field goal and step up on defense in the 4th quarter. Penn State would have never beat Ohio State. I believe SOS had an interception as well

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name the team that has made the CFP with two losses.

I'll wait.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After you name the team aside from Ohio State. That made the CFP without a conference championship

I'll wait :dhd:

Alabama could have lost to Florida last year and still made it.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After you name the team aside from Ohio State. That made the CFP without a conference championship

I'll wait :dhd:
tell you what - I will bet my board presence vs yours that another team that is not a conference champion makes the CFP again before the first 2 loss team. Deal?