• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UNL

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like lots of school are going to cancel classes tomorrow. This is a lot of snow.

We have friends in Lincoln who lost power and were still without power last I heard, which was during the Superbowl.

One of our friends over here east of the Mississippi lost power and lots of others did to, but it came on in six hours.

We were lucky, our power lines are buried underground so my house could not lose power, but if the exposed power lines down the hill go down, then the whole neighborhood is without power. One time a car took out a power pole and another time a bird nest caused a transformer to blow up and catch fire.

Enjoy your day.

I get to shovel snow again but at least it finally stopped snowing and even more surprising our neighborhood was plowed.

chucksker

Chuck Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On campus it's 4-6 at most. But the drifts are making it much worse, not to mention it rained all yesterday then froze in to ice overnight. But the snow itself is almost negligible really

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
probably partially due to the cold. the low today in omaha was to be -9 and that was at like 6am. not even supposed to get into the teens until late this afternoon.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14 inches of snow.

Thank god it got cold and made the snow more powdery.

Right now, our air temp feels like Negative 20. We are zero right now.

Yesterday, I shoveled most of the paved driveway, but I have 102 feet of gravel driveway.

I had to shovel the gravel driveway so my wife could get out this morning. But shoveling 14 inches of snow sucks.

I estimate I shoveled 102 feet by 6.5 feet by 14 inches of snow, that is around 750 cubic feet of snow. At 20 pounds per cubic foot, that is 15,000 pounds or 7.5 tons of snow. All hand shoveled by moi. My wife thinks I am insane.

I actually like doing it because it is a great workout, even though I bitch and moan to try and gain sympathy.

My son and I are safely ensconced in our warm house while my wife is at work. She said if we need anything to give her a call and she will bring it back on the way home.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On campus it's 4-6 at most. But the drifts are making it much worse, not to mention it rained all yesterday then froze in to ice overnight. But the snow itself is almost negligible really

Yep. And even the first snow that came down Saturday night was really wet. Everything is under a few inches of ice. I heard a semi driver died on I-80 near Lincoln yesterday.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14 inches of snow.

Thank god it got cold and made the snow more powdery.

Right now, our air temp feels like Negative 20. We are zero right now.

Yesterday, I shoveled most of the paved driveway, but I have 102 feet of gravel driveway.

I had to shovel the gravel driveway so my wife could get out this morning. But shoveling 14 inches of snow sucks.

I estimate I shoveled 102 feet by 6.5 feet by 14 inches of snow, that is around 750 cubic feet of snow. At 20 pounds per cubic foot, that is 15,000 pounds or 7.5 tons of snow. All hand shoveled by moi. My wife thinks I am insane.

I actually like doing it because it is a great workout, even though I bitch and moan to try and gain sympathy.

My son and I are safely ensconced in our warm house while my wife is at work. She said if we need anything to give her a call and she will bring it back on the way home.
That's a lot of driveway, you need one of these.
hqdefault.jpg

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow is snow really 20lbs per square foot???? I woulda thought closer to 10. That's crazy

The powdery stuff is 10 lbs per cubic foot.

But that wet stuff that comes down at 32 degrees and collects and causes tree branches to break and buildings to collapse can be up to 35 lbs per cubic foot or more. I believe building codes are for 35 lbs per cubic foot.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was 79 and sunny here last weekend..this weekend too.

jjm..what happenend to ye Ban Ned facebook account? i wuz lookin fer it

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't know how they could cancel classes on monday and not today…today is twice as bad

They can't afford to cancel today because they cancelled Monday. If they cancel now, it would be like canceling a week's worth of class for MW classes.