• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Unfocused commercials

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diabetes? Everyone of those prescription med commercials are hilarious. I’ll watch them only to hear at the end how many side effects they have. I think they are reaching drippy nose territory.
If I ever develop psoriasis, I’m just gonna have psoriasis.

Not risking having a cracked taint.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also as far as commercials generally speaking… Back in college, I wrote a paper about advertising and one of the segments of it was how flashy and fast paced they became over time.

You know, like commercials from the 50s and 60s you might have scenes or images depicted on screen for 5-10 seconds at a time, with occasional panning shots and fluidity to them.

Fast forward to more recently, you’ve got commercials where there’s sometimes 4-5 different images/scenes in a matter of 2 seconds or in some cases even less, very frantic, all over the place and then the denouement of giant flashy letters!

Kind of a loose analogy on how society has changed as well honestly.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also as far as commercials generally speaking… Back in college, I wrote a paper about advertising and one of the segments of it was how flashy and fast paced they became over time.

You know, like commercials from the 50s and 60s you might have scenes or images depicted on screen for 5-10 seconds at a time, with occasional panning shots and fluidity to them.

Fast forward to more recently, you’ve got commercials where there’s sometimes 4-5 different images/scenes in a matter of 2 seconds or in some cases even less, very frantic, all over the place and then the denouement of giant flashy letters!

Kind of a loose analogy on how society has changed as well honestly.
Great insight man. Cheers!
I’ve been in the industry for a long time too. 30+ years. Thinking about writing a book. The funny side of PR or something like that.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Advertising and Public Relations are brothers, they grew up together. Since the 90-00s advertising overtook PR, which has been somewhat dreary. I miss good old-fashioned PR.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PR has always been content focused. New media acts like they invented this.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the best strategy is good PR, with surgical advertising. But to the point, bibigo meets none of that criteria.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still gotta beat really fat women in those fuckin' Jardience diabetes ads.

Their product is specifically for fat people so .. but they did replace the first woman who had no sense of rhythm. She was all out of sync with the rest of them dancing and she was massive. She looked ridiculous and really got my nerves for some reason. I apparently wasn't alone because I googled it and found other folks with the same gripe.

They replaced her with a blond less obese woman who can actually dance and isn't bad looking at all for a fat gal.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their product is specifically for fat people so .. but they did replace the first woman who had no sense of rhythm. She was all out of sync with the rest of them dancing and she was massive. She looked ridiculous and really got my nerves for some reason. I apparently wasn't alone because I googled it and found other folks with the same gripe.

They replaced her with a blond less obese woman who can actually dance and isn't bad looking at all for a fat gal.
In commercials, they cast people that look like the target audience. They have expanded horizons. Barbie no longer has ailments of these types.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel so much better for almost never watching commercials. I make it a point not to watch fucking commercials. Let alone get aggravated by them.

Even the Super Bowl commercials that everybody just seems to rave about. I just don’t do them.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All in all, it’s very cunning. The ad agencies have been feeding non-stop BS into millions of homes for at least 100 years.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technology messed up the traditional global PR agencies and market big time. Few were prepared. Fees went downhill fast.

For example, Burson-Marsteller, they have a fancy digital name now and are getting pummeled. They were #1 for years, competing with the biggest in real PR.

Today, in most cases a free-lancer nobody knows knows more about you and your industry than a traditional firm, which has lost its values, will produce equal if not better results.

Last edited:

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All in all, it’s very cunning. The ad agencies have been feeding non-stop BS into millions of homes for at least 100 years.
lol... yes, quite cunning... clever even.
But are seldom insidious, malevolent or purposely deceptive.
IMO ad agency management are and employ some of society's most intelligent, insightful people.
I had the pleasure of working with RossRoy, BozellJacobs, JWThompson, D'ArcyMacmanusMasius and WellsRichGreene...
on clients ranging from Coors and Budweiser to Citibank, Westin, Midas, Goodyear, Ford and Jaguar...et al
Your point re need good pr is correct...hard to advertise/sell corn flakes if blight takes the crops out.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO ad agency management are and employ some of society's most intelligent, insightful people.
I had the pleasure of working with RossRoy, BozellJacobs, JWThompson, D'ArcyMacmanusMasius and WellsRichGreene...
on clients ranging from Coors and Budweiser to Citibank, Westin, Midas, Goodyear, Ford and Jaguar...et al
Your point re need good pr is correct...hard to advertise/sell corn flakes if blight takes the crops out.
Wow! Welcome to the real world bro.
It is true, it is creative, but sometimes that is not enough.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, ok
bro

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best clients know that advertising sucks. They are pivoting to more interesting alternatives for branding, sales

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats, keep it going. Man
I used to love doing that work. It has changed a lot in 20 years, what do you think?

We did a lot of collaborating with JWT, Y&R, and other great ad agencies. I was on the PR side. Today that work is paid at 1/10 of what it was in the 90s.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats, keep it going. Man
I used to love doing that work. It has changed a lot in 20 years, what do you think?

We did a lot of collaborating with JWT, Y&R, and other great ad agencies. I was on the PR side. Today that work is paid at 1/10 of what it was in the 90s.
pfft, lol... I quit thinking when I retired 12 years ago.
  • awarded a US Patent for an invention in 1990... founded company to produce invention... sold lots... sold company in 1995... still get royalties.
  • invented 'a novel, unique method of relaying a message' (my lawyer's words) with a product already ubiquitous throughout several industries... instead of informing workers of underground cables or lawns with fresh pesticides, I figured to tap the collegiate/professional fan products markets - copped licenses for several universities... had a ball promoting the product... sold lots... sold company in 2011... still get royalties.

Attachments

• row a dobbers (2).jpg
    row a dobbers (2).jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 1

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pfft, lol... I quit thinking when I retired 12 years ago.
  • awarded a US Patent for an invention in 1990... founded company to produce invention... sold lots... sold company in 1995... still get royalties.
  • invented 'a novel, unique method of relaying a message' (my lawyer's words) with a product already ubiquitous throughout several industries... instead of informing workers of underground cables or lawns with fresh pesticides, I figured to tap the collegiate/professional fan products markets - copped licenses for several universities... had a ball promoting the product... sold lots... sold company in 2011... still get royalties.
That is kick ass man, cheers!
What’s next?