• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Unconventional line-ups

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looking at the roster and the skills of our players, the Warriors have the opportunity to throw a lot of unconventional line-ups at opponents. Historically, the Warriors have tended to go small - we could do so again, but this year we can also go big. What line-ups would you like to see us use to try to throw teams off for a few minutes a game?

One line-up that could be really interesting to switch things up would be Iguodala/Thompson/Barnes/Lee/Speights. Simple approach with this line-up: post up the opponent's point guard, and the other 4 guys spread out to make doubling very, very difficult. All of Iggy, Thompson, and Barnes can effectively post up a small guy, and every guy on the court is a more than adequate outside shooter. (Not suggesting that they're at the 3-point line, but all 5 guys can hit at least a 15-footer pretty regularly.) Lee is noted as a good mid-range shooter, Speights is among the best in the league at it, and obviously Thompson and Barnes have skills. The weak link there is actually Iggy (though he might be the most likely to be guarded by the PG and thus, be the post-up guy), but if his man leaves him to help out, he'll just dive to the hoop.

(Note that I think you could substitute Speights with O'Neal in the above line-up and it would work very well as well.)

What other unconventional line-up could you see being effective, and how would you use it?

_so_money_

Dubmaster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, the flexibility is one of the things I'm looking forward to the most.

I would like to see Curry, Thompson, Iguodala, Barnes, and Bogut together for a lineup that might be considered small (at the PF position), but could give teams fits with tremendous athleticism and good defense.

Or a "twin towers" defensive lineup using Bogut and Ezeli together. Granted, they wouldn't score and it might be a disaster where they trip over each other, but I know I wouldn't want to bring the ball inside on them. Might be good to protect a lead.

But overall Iguodala is the key because he is solid as a 2 or 3, and could legitimately cover 1 or 4 in certain situations, or in an injury or foul trouble emergency. We are stacked at the 2/3, have one of the best PGs in the league at 1, one of the best defensive centers at the 5 (who should be better offensively this year if he stays healthy), and well, then there's Lee, who is certainly offensively gifted. Having Barnes as a new option at the 4 is huge and I don't see a big falloff with Speights instead of Landry.

So the flexibility is tremendous, it's up to Jackson to make it work with the right matchups and getting the mix and timing of his rotations right. I imagine it will take him some time to figure out what works best, so I won't be surprised to see some experimentation and oddball lineups earlier in the season. As well as probably some frustration for the fans when he guesses wrong, when we see for example foul trouble, or guys getting fatigued from playing too long because the substitutions were mis-timed, or the opposite, where someone with a hot hand gets removed too early from the game because "it's time for the next rotation".

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering about a twin tower D of O'neal and Bogut.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something to think about, when Bogut was out last year, there were times where D.Lee was our Center.

If Jackson wanted to go "big", he could throw out Bogut, SPeights, FE, JO, D.Lee in the front court in some combination.

When was the last time we had a group of capable bigs out there which opposing teams had to respect? Prior to the La Tax era?

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
real small

All teams have quirky lineups. It's a matter of figuring out the puzzle. I'm not sold that Igu has that much ability to play a quasi Point. My unconventional would be Curry Toney / Igu Barnes / Lee. Two dribblers, two slashers and a guy that hits the elbow jumper. It's small but fast. Funny thing is, it was Nelosn that all but invented the funny line up. He just had zero interest in discipline and defensive schemes.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the roster and the skills of our players, the Warriors have the opportunity to throw a lot of unconventional line-ups at opponents. Historically, the Warriors have tended to go small - we could do so again, but this year we can also go big. What line-ups would you like to see us use to try to throw teams off for a few minutes a game?

One line-up that could be really interesting to switch things up would be Iguodala/Thompson/Barnes/Lee/Speights. Simple approach with this line-up: post up the opponent's point guard, and the other 4 guys spread out to make doubling very, very difficult. All of Iggy, Thompson, and Barnes can effectively post up a small guy, and every guy on the court is a more than adequate outside shooter. (Not suggesting that they're at the 3-point line, but all 5 guys can hit at least a 15-footer pretty regularly.) Lee is noted as a good mid-range shooter, Speights is among the best in the league at it, and obviously Thompson and Barnes have skills. The weak link there is actually Iggy (though he might be the most likely to be guarded by the PG and thus, be the post-up guy), but if his man leaves him to help out, he'll just dive to the hoop.

(Note that I think you could substitute Speights with O'Neal in the above line-up and it would work very well as well.)

What other unconventional line-up could you see being effective, and how would you use it?

The part I really like about this lineup at times is that Iggy would create havoc on the point guard. Tony Parker would be taken all the way out of his game.

My unconventional lineup (for spurts) would be Toney (to lockup the point), Curry (to spread), Iggy, Thompson (at the 4) and Barnes (at the 5).

The opposition's big's wouldn't last for a minute.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too small. Small is good but this is ridiculous!

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too small. Small is good but this is ridiculous!

Thats your opinion. Mine is that we would win a 5-7 minute shootout with this lineup.

Iggy 6'7 with 7ft wingspan, Klay 6'7, and Barnes 6'8 with 7ft wingspan isn't all that small.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny because I had an argument with dumbass heat fans on the general board and they said Bogut and igoudala are not top defenders at there position

_so_money_

Dubmaster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny because I had an argument with dumbass heat fans on the general board and they said Bogut and igoudala are not top defenders at there position

Well what does "top" mean? The very best? Top 5? Above average?

_so_money_

Dubmaster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they're protecting a lead for a short period, one of these lineups (depending on matchups) would be interesting:

Bogut | Ezeli | Green | Iguodala | Douglas
Bogut | Ezeli | Iguodala | Thompson | Douglas
Bogut | Green | Iguodala | Thompson | Douglas

Those could be devastating, I'd venture to guess there aren't many teams who could put up a lot of points in a hurry on those lineups. Or substitute Barnes for Green if you want to go a little more offensive without sacrificing too much D.

Last edited by a moderator:

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I'm worried most about is once again Mark Jackson's rotation. I know it's just the preseason but his tendency to go with a 5 in, 5 out lineup completely irritates me. Jackson said he intends to rest Curry, Bogut and Lee more, but I hope it's not at the same time. The lineup I think that would give teams some fits would be:

Iguodala, Thompson, Barnes, Green and Lee (Big, small lineup)

This lineup has size at the guard positions, and while it gives up size at the big positions, it more than makes up for with athleticism. These guys could cause fits defensively and be off to the races on the offensive end. This lineup kind of reminds me of the "We Believe" team where they had Baron, J-Rich, Jackson, Barnes and Harrington. They weren't the biggest but their athleticism helped them overcome a lot. They also ran teams off the floor. A lineup with Iguodala, Klay, Barnes, Green and Lee would be awesome and exciting to watch.

_so_money_

Dubmaster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the wholesale lineup substitutions are just awful and the wheels fall off when Jackson uses it. Need to keep at least 1-2 starters in the mix at all times, which should not be a problem, even with Barnes being out.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the wholesale lineup substitutions are just awful and the wheels fall off when Jackson uses it. Need to keep at least 1-2 starters in the mix at all times, which should not be a problem, even with Barnes being out.

I'm starting to get concerned about HB's health.

With HB out, the starters are forced to play 30+ mins a night and has a
carryover affect that affects the rotation that way.

JO/Green/Speights as are 6th man isn't a pleasant as HB rocking that role.

We may be able to get around the lower tier teams, but against the elite, we need the depth to keep the pressure up. I.E I'm sure we beat SAC last night with HB in the game.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to get concerned about HB's health.

With HB out, the starters are forced to play 30+ mins a night and has a
carryover affect that affects the rotation that way.

JO/Green/Speights as are 6th man isn't a pleasant as HB rocking that role.

We may be able to get around the lower tier teams, but against the elite, we need the depth to keep the pressure up. I.E I'm sure we beat SAC last night with HB in the game.

Bump, and your 6th man coming off the bench Wed? I'm guessing D. Green so they go small vs Gasol/Kaman

Another case of preseason being too long, I know HB had a crazy 1st year, playing more Ball than at anypoint in his College career + Postseason + Olympic Camps + Overseas to China, he is the future, and we need to bubble wrap his foot pronto.

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Bump.

Kinda looked like much of the first half against the Grizzlies today. Sure, it was mainly Bogut instead of Speights, but he just stayed outside the lane and then made sharp cuts to the hoop, so it was a slightly different end effect but same overall strategy.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump.

Kinda looked like much of the first half against the Grizzlies today. Sure, it was mainly Bogut instead of Speights, but he just stayed outside the lane and then made sharp cuts to the hoop, so it was a slightly different end effect but same overall strategy.

I get the sense that Speights is on Jackson's shit list. Doesn't play smart and doesn't play D.

It will be interesting to see what Speights does in the second half. He will play. Jackson has no choice!

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I get the sense that Speights is on Jackson's shit list. Doesn't play smart and doesn't play D.

It will be interesting to see what Speights does in the second half. He will play. Jackson has no choice!

Yeah, Speights has earned his way to the shit list with horrendous, stupid plays on a repeated basis. Even though Memphis had Gasol and Koufos on the floor late in the first half, Jackson yanked Speights out of the game for a bonehead play and stuck Draymond in to guard them. That's kind of where it's gotten, but it's because Speights has not only played badly, he's played stupidly.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Speights has earned his way to the shit list with horrendous, stupid plays on a repeated basis. Even though Memphis had Gasol and Koufos on the floor late in the first half, Jackson yanked Speights out of the game for a bonehead play and stuck Draymond in to guard them. That's kind of where it's gotten, but it's because Speights has not only played badly, he's played stupidly.

Just happened again, this time with Speights fouling Randolph far from the basket...followed by a quick yank and Barnes entering the game.