• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Uncle Lou: "No coach until after draft"

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well then he should be able to focus on the most important facet of all. That $60-70M he owes Parise.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not having one for the draft isn't too big an issue but I'd really like to have one by free agency. I've heard literally nothing regarding who is in the mix (which isn't surprising), but I'd love to know if we're close to choosing somebody or ir we're still over a month away.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not surprised and while it would be nice but it doesn't bother me much

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ive never viewed it as something pertinent

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
doesnt bother you much? you ever think though that the revolving head coaching door is partly due to the hiring process they hold?

there has to be something MAJOR wrong with the process if you go through as many head coaches as this team does

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm willing to put a lot of blame on Langs as well, but we shall see what the future has in store for us.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
doesnt bother you much? you ever think though that the revolving head coaching door is partly due to the hiring process they hold?

there has to be something MAJOR wrong with the process if you go through as many head coaches as this team does

90% of our head coaching carousel is the players, IMO.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it doesn't bother me much from a draft perspective, yes the coach of a team is involved but they are not majore pieces of the selectioin process in most cases, unless your talking a team with a staple coach such as buffalo w ruff or babcock in det, or formerly bowman.

even the special on the oilers last year, renney had next to nothing to do w the process. is it a nice thing to have? yes but i don't view it as pertinent.

HOWEVER i think more on point with what you're saying the tendency to take 6 years is bothersome in its own right in that my god just get a fucking coach in place. the longer time they have to settle in the better

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
it doesn't bother me much from a draft perspective, yes the coach of a team is involved but they are not majore pieces of the selectioin process in most cases, unless your talking a team with a staple coach such as buffalo w ruff or babcock in det, or formerly bowman.

even the special on the oilers last year, renney had next to nothing to do w the process. is it a nice thing to have? yes but i don't view it as pertinent.

HOWEVER i think more on point with what you're saying the tendency to take 6 years is bothersome in its own right in that my god just get a fucking coach in place. the longer time they have to settle in the better

Well don't forget that two of them had to leave for health reasons, and Sutter was homesick.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well don't forget that two of them had to leave for health reasons, and Sutter was homesick.

this is very true, and for the most part nothing short of bad luck for both parties involved, but i do have to agree with cup as far as potential fillers to the vacancy go in that most people vying for coaching jobs from the outside looking in don't think about that. but they damn sure have that feeling its a revolving door here.

not thats its right, in fact its downright stupid, but it could very well be the reality

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is spot on. I may not agree with the way Lou handles coaches for the most part, but there have been some uncontrollable circumstances involved as well. As far as the draft, I don't think you need a coach in place to know who to pick at #4. I would however like one sooner rather than later.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it's fairly obvious that Pat Burns would still be our coach in a better world. Such a great guy.

Re Sutter: I was really pissed when he decided to leave that then jump ship to Calgary right away, but I do believe the guy wanted to be closer to his wife, kids, farm team, ranch. It's got to be tough living out of a hotel for 9+ months.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also have to think though, even if a potential coach gets the boot after a year or 2 here, they will most likely have a great record to pad their resume with so guys may be willing to take a chance here.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thread taking off get some life in here nice!

Dko I see what your saying about the coach not being involved..but he's going to be coaching the guy he should have a voice. You make a few examples. Renney not being.involved and yet the oilers are dead last two years in a row...but babcock and ruff both solid staples are and look how well their team go? Not sure but look at filatov Hitchcock hated the kid nevergave him a shot...not sure if he was drafted before hitch got there if anyonr can check

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You can argue that only one coach got fired since the devils last won a Cup.

I still don't like this waiting process. It just cements the fact that the players hold priority over the coach. It makes it look like Lou hires coaches based off of the type of team he's built. Once the team changes he dumps the coach and gets someone with a more practical style.

Why can't he just get a really good coach and then build a team to compliment their style. Ruff and Trotz have done great because of this and both those teams had to work with bargain players and a restricted salary cap.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i agree with this. i dont understand how under such a strong armed man like lou can he let this team become coach killers? wheres the accountability?

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd like to point out that what the Flyers just did is the opposite of the Devils. As Cup was saying our players are coach killers and we can't find the right coach. Things were apparently not right in Flyerland, and the GM decided to ship out two foundational blocks to the franchise instead of getting a new coach.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree to some extent with their moves...if a player is a problem you can only cater to them for so long. But what I don't get is I thought their problems were between the two of them? Why ship both? I give the flyers credit...I think they rushed these moves. Bit still credit when making a big move let alone 2!

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree to some extent with their moves...if a player is a problem you can only cater to them for so long. But what I don't get is I thought their problems were between the two of them? Why ship both? I give the flyers credit...I think they rushed these moves. Bit still credit when making a big move let alone 2!

From my understanding there was sort of a click with Richards, Carter, and I THINK Upshall, but I'm not 100% sure on that.