• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

uNC NOA

UKnation87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how UNC gets out of this one... It's hard to know what the NCAA will do but you have to believe they're going to come down pretty hard.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this the other day, and I wondered, is this tied to their earlier troubles with bogus classes and professors?

Or is this a new one? Guess I got to go ahead and read the article and see if they can clear it up for me

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, so from that, it says they 'reopened' the previous case.

That makes sense, couldnt imagine after that one, there would be something brand new coming up...

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We take these allegations very seriously, and we will carefully evaluate them to respond within the NCAA’s 90-day deadline,” Chancellor Carol L. Folt and Director of Athletics Bubba Cunningham said in a joint statement. "The University will publicly release the NCAA’s notice as soon as possible. The notice is lengthy and must be prepared for public dissemination to ensure we protect privacy rights as required by federal and state law."

In November, the Raleigh News & Observer reported that men's basketball players accounted for 35 bogus "paper" classes during the Tar Heels' 2004-05 national championship season.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeates-Redacted.jpg

Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham is already working on the response for public consumption...

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested to see what's going to happen UNC, because I legitimately have no idea how the NCAA is going to rule on this.

I grew up in North Carolina when Dean Smith was in control of the UNC program. This was when Duke was on the rise with Coach K (even though if you look at the history of Duke basketball, they have pretty much always been good outside of the late 60s to early 70s. This myth that Duke is a one coach program is pretty absurd) and State had just fired Valvano (and they haven't been the same since). Wake has had nice runs here and there with Odom, Prosser and even Gaudio. (they also had a run in the late 70s to mid 80s with Carl Tacy, which was a few years before I started watching ACC basketball)

However, UNC definitely had an aura about them. I grew up in Winston-Salem, but my parents were big UNC fans. I decided to stick with the hometown team (this was when Wake actually had a good basketball program. If I was growing up right now, I have no idea who I would choose), but I didn't hate UNC the way most Wake/State/Duke fans do.

It is weird to me when UNC doesn't spend the majority of the year in the Top 10.

If UNC is hammered, it is going to be really strange. I'm not saying they don't deserve it, because the facts do speak for themselves.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested to see what's going to happen UNC, because I legitimately have no idea how the NCAA is going to rule on this.

I grew up in North Carolina when Dean Smith was in control of the UNC program. This was when Duke was on the rise with Coach K (even though if you look at the history of Duke basketball, they have pretty much always been good outside of the late 60s to early 70s. This myth that Duke is a one coach program is pretty absurd) and State had just fired Valvano (and they haven't been the same since). Wake has had nice runs here and there with Odom, Prosser and even Gaudio. (they also had a run in the late 70s to mid 80s with Carl Tacy, which was a few years before I started watching ACC basketball)

However, UNC definitely had an aura about them. I grew up in Winston-Salem, but my parents were big UNC fans. I decided to stick with the hometown team (this was when Wake actually had a good basketball program. If I was growing up right now, I have no idea who I would choose), but I didn't hate UNC the way most Wake/State/Duke fans do.

It is weird to me when UNC doesn't spend the majority of the year in the Top 10.

If UNC is hammered, it is going to be really strange. I'm not saying they don't deserve it, because the facts do speak for themselves.

Yep, most forget the history of the old Southern Conference and emergence of ACC basketball with Wake Forest's Bones McKinney, NC State's Everett Case, and Duke's Vic Bubas. Most people don't know Vic Bubas took Duke to three Final Fours and they were Runner Up to UCLA in 1964. And again in 1978 Bill Foster took them to the Finals where they lost to Kentucky.

I knew all those guys at Wake Forest under Carl Tacy. Ernie Nestor and former DePaul HC Jerry Wainwright. I believe Nestor is at the Naval Academy as an assistant now in his late 60's.

The longer this issue of academic scandal hangs over uNC's head the worse it will get. They seem to be content stretching it out too.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recognize the guy sitting next to a standing Vic Bubas? That's Chuck Daly as an assistant coach at Duke.

81343774-college-basketball-ncaa-final-four-duke-coach-gettyimages.jpg

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, most forget the history of the old Southern Conference and emergence of ACC basketball with Wake Forest's Bones McKinney, NC State's Everett Case, and Duke's Vic Bubas. Most people don't know Vic Bubas took Duke to three Final Fours and they were Runner Up to UCLA in 1964. And again in 1978 Bill Foster took them to the Finals where they lost to Kentucky.

I knew all those guys at Wake Forest under Carl Tacy. Ernie Nestor and former DePaul HC Jerry Wainwright. I believe Nestor is at the Naval Academy as an assistant now in his late 60's.

The longer this issue of academic scandal hangs over uNC's head the worse it will get. They seem to be content stretching it out too.

Ernie Nestor was also an assistant under Dave Odom at Wake during the '90s.

Everett Case and Vic Bubas might be the two most under-rated coaches in College Basketball history. Everett Case was basically the grandfather of ACC basketball and Vic Bubas had a 106-32 ACC record in 10 years at Duke and took them to three Final Fours.

The academic scandal has really hurt UNC's recruiting. They have zero Top 100 players in the class of 2015 and I don't think they are really a major player in Harry Giles' recruitment (I'm not sure about their chances with Dennis Smith, Jr and Bam)

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://3qh929iorux3fdpl532k03kg.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/NCAA-NOA.pdf

By the way, Dougie, I've heard from reliable sources that Harry Giles is down to Wake, Duke and Kentucky. UNC isn't in the picture at all.

Yep, it's already affecting their recruiting. And I have a hard time believing Roy hasn't read the NOA's or even discussed them with Bubba Cunningham or anyone else? That's pure bullshit right there. Plain and simple. His salary without Nike, other endorsements is at $1,911,402.00 and that makes him the highest paid State employee in North Carolina. That being in serious jeopardy would have him lawyer up at the very least.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 Level 1 violations, including Lack of Institutional Control

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine how upset all the athletes will be once a tutor reads and summarizes the NOA for them.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. The NCAA charged UNC with providing impermissible benefits via academic counselors in the AFAM department and 10 athletes exceeding independent study course limits.

2. Jan Boxill, academic advisor to the women's basketball team, is alleged to have provided impermissible academic assistance to women's basketball players.

3. Deb Crowder, the administrative assistant to AFAM department head Julius Nyang'oro, violated ethical conduct by not assisting NCAA investigation.

4. AFAM department chair Julius Nyang'oro violated ethical conduct by not assisting with the NCAA investigation.

5. The NCAA charged UNC with a lack of institutional control for all of the above charges.

YIKES!

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it doesn't look that bad

I thought it could be much worse. None of the current big coaches got stuck with anything tangible on their names.

UNC will likely get to play in the NCAA and lose a few schollies is all, get a bowl ban, and probation for a few year.

For all the months of hearing rumors, the actual investigative results are mediocre.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it doesn't look that bad

I thought it could be much worse. None of the current big coaches got stuck with anything tangible on their names.

UNC will likely get to play in the NCAA and lose a few schollies is all, get a bowl ban, and probation for a few year.

For all the months of hearing rumors, the actual investigative results are mediocre.

A lack of institutional control sort of encompasses everything though. But yes, there are things missing from the Wainstein Report.

Whats missing in the NCAAs case against UNC | News & Observer News & Observer

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight now it seems pretty obvious that the SU case was just setting the bar for allowing UNC to get off without vacating any titles or Final Fours.

It looks to me like the NCAA is trying to look tough once again (serious "Level 1" charges and the scary "lack of institutional control") but they don't want to hit anybody where it hurts and actually have somebody vacate a Final Four or god forbid a Title. They've cherry picked their allegations so they don't pain themselves into the "strict liability" corner. They're throwing former faculty members under the bus but not really acknowledging the dozens of players that should have been ineligible to play.

UNC is going to end up just like SU. They're going to be allowed to play in the post season with their most promising team in several years. They're going to lose a few scholarships and they might have to vacate some wins from seasons that didn't amount to much anyway. They'll keep their banners. They'll keep their coach. And everything else will be business as usual.