• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Umpire missed calls...

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even a fan of Darvish...but today he threw a breaking ball and it was pretty much up the middle and it was called a ball.

Verlander had one his previous start too...curveball literally up the middle...called a ball

Do these umps ever get held accountable???

I feel like any time an ump makes a bad call and goes off and ejects the player who reacts to it needs to get suspended and have to issue a public apology

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even a fan of Darvish...but today he threw a breaking ball and it was pretty much up the middle and it was called a ball.

Verlander had one his previous start too...curveball literally up the middle...called a ball

Do these umps ever get held accountable???

I feel like any time an ump makes a bad call and goes off and ejects the player who reacts to it needs to get suspended and have to issue a public apology

The missed calls are one thing, the umps are human after all, but when an ump ramps up the argument is when I have a problem.
Verlander says OMG on that call Sunday and the HP Ump has to be restrained by the catcher?
A J Burnett had a pitch get called against him last week, raised his hand a couple of inches and the HP Ump charged the mound to the point that the 3rd base Ump had to start that way like he was gonna get in between them.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem is those assholes aren't held accountable. On the missed call on Darvish AJ asked for the ball, said something and walked to the mound. The umpire threw him out. AJ looked at him and said something along the lines of "I just asked for another ball." And walked off, but kulpa had to have the last word and basically chased him down. Fucking assholes.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The missed calls are one thing, the umps are human after all, but when an ump ramps up the argument is when I have a problem.
Verlander says OMG on that call Sunday and the HP Ump has to be restrained by the catcher?
A J Burnett had a pitch get called against him last week, raised his hand a couple of inches and the HP Ump charged the mound to the point that the 3rd base Ump had to start that way like he was gonna get in between them.

Exactly!

It's getting ridiculous how much these umps get away with on the field these days. Baseball is the only sport where the officials sometimes overshadow the actual players.

Umps really need to get reprehended for their course of action. There's so many instances where you see the Ump initiating the conflict with the player after a frustrated gesture from a bad call...it's ridiculous.

Officials/Refs/Umps should never be bigger than the player and the game...baseball needs to fix this problem

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with whats been said.

It isn't the calls here in this situation that are the problem. Sure, they were bad calls but on balls and strikes that is going to happen sometimes.

It is the way the umps acted after the fact with JV and AJ that was ridiculous. So they were wrong and threw a hissy fit. Aj even gets tossed.

That is the joke of it all.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Sunday, Jeff Locke was called for a balk by the home plate umpire, the umpire with the worst view of the play. He appeared to mouth to Locke, "You didn't step off." He very clearly had stepped off. He even did it slowly and casually since he had the runner out so easily. Yet the Pirates could not appeal to another base umpire who had a better view.

At least on that play, though, the umpire didn't toss Locke for questioning the call.