• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UMass' Derrick Gordon says he's gay

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derrick Gordon, a sophomore starter for the University of Massachusetts men's basketball team, stepped forward Wednesday as the first openly gay player in Division I men's college basketball, sharing his story with ESPN and Outsports.

More from ESPN.com

fagan_kate_m.jpg
A network of mentors helped UMass starter Derrick Gordon in his journey to becoming the first openly gay male player in Division I basketball. Story

The 22-year-old shooting guard came out to his family, coaches and teammates in just a few days at the beginning of April. That's when he also decided to publicly acknowledge his sexuality.
"I just didn't want to hide anymore, in any way," Gordon told ESPN. "I didn't want to have to lie or sneak. I've been waiting and watching for the last few months, wondering when a Division I player would come out, and finally I just said, 'Why not me?'"
Gordon took to Twitter on Wednesday morning after the news broke.

I am the first Division 1 male basketball player to come out and not the last. I AM gay. I'm not afraid. I'm not alone.
- Derrick Gordon (@DerrickGordon02) April 9, 2014
Gordon, a native of Plainfield, N.J., said that a key moment for him came when the Brooklyn Nets signed veteran center Jason Collins to a 10-day contract in February. Collins, who publicly acknowledged his sexuality in April 2013, became the first openly gay player in NBA history when he took the court against the Los Angeles Lakers on Feb. 23.
"That was so important to me, knowing that sexuality didn't matter, that the NBA was OK with it," Gordon said.
Collins tweeted his support for Gordon on Wednesday.

I'm so proud of @flash2gordon. Another brave young man who is going to make it easier for so many others to live an authentic life. #courage
- Jason Collins (@jasoncollins34) April 9, 2014
A number of people in the UMass athletic administration worked closely with Gordon behind the scenes as he prepared to come out to his teammates.
"UMass is proud to have Derrick Gordon as a member of our athletic family and to honor his courage and openness as a gay student-athlete," athletic director John McCutcheon said in a written statement. "UMass is committed to creating a welcoming climate where every student-athlete, coach and staff member can be true to themselves as they pursue their athletic, academic and professional goals."
Gordon said he reached his decision to come out publicly in the days after the team's first-round loss to Tennessee in the NCAA tournament on March 21.

Derrick Gordon Bio

nba_g_gordon11_134x75.jpg
• 6-3 redshirt sophomore from Plainfield, N.J.
• Per-game averages last season: 9.4 points, 3.5 rebounds, 2.0 assists
• 2nd on team with 48 steals last season
• Attended St. Patrick High School in Elizabeth, N.J. (alma mater of Kyrie Irving, Samuel Dalembert, Al Harrington, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist among others) • Transferred to UMass from Western Kentucky before 2012-13 season (sat out 2012-13 season)

"I just had a lot of time to myself, thinking, and I didn't know what I was waiting for," said Gordon, who transferred to UMass after one season at Western Kentucky.
In his first season with UMass, the 6-foot-3 Gordon averaged 9.4 points and 3.5 rebounds per game. He started all 33 of the Minutemen's games and had a season-high 22 points on Nov. 21 against Nebraska.
He played his high school basketball at St. Patrick High in Elizabeth, N.J., one of the best prep programs in the country, then went on to lead Western Kentucky in scoring as a freshman with 11.8 points per game. The team made the NCAA tournament, and Gordon was a third-team All-Sun Belt Conference player as a true freshman, but he decided to transfer so he could be closer to his family.
Gordon came out to his teammates on April 2, after telling UMass coach Derek Kellogg in a phone conversation three days earlier. Kellogg stood by Gordon's side in the team meeting.
"From speaking with Derrick, I realized the pressure he had, the weight that was on his shoulders," Kellogg said. "You can already see in his demeanor that he is so much happier. I actually think this is something that brings our team closer together and helps Derrick play more freely."
Sophomore forward Tyler Bergantino said that even before Gordon addressed his teammates, there was something different in his demeanor.
"He looked happier, stress-free, like that was the real him," Bergantino said. "Before, when he would walk into the locker room, there was this cloud around him, like you couldn't quite get to him."
About a year ago, Gordon reached out to Wade Davis, executive director of the You Can Play Project, a group that works to ensure respect and safety for all athletes without regard for sexual orientation. Davis connected Gordon to a network of allies behind the scenes, and Gordon told ESPN these connections have been instrumental for him.
"Over the past year, I've gotten to know Derrick Gordon," Davis said. "He's like a little brother to me. I've watched him grow into a confident young man who is ready to be a leader on and off the court. His fearless desire to be his authentic self and his personal story of triumph will inspire others and continue to expand consciousness."
According to Gordon, after he made his announcement, one of his teammates immediately spoke up and said, "We got you; you're one of us." Afterward, Gordon and four other members of the team ate dinner together.
"Before, I usually just kept to myself because I didn't want to lie or be fake," Gordon said. "But not anymore. I feel so good right now. It's like this huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders."
Michael Sam, an All-American defensive end at Missouri, came out in interviews with ESPN, The New York Times and Outsports in February after his college career ended. He is projected as a middle-round prospect in next month's NFL draft.
Sam tweeted congratulations to Gordon after the announcement.

Many congratulations to you Derrick Gordon @flash2gordon - you have so many in your corner and we're all proud and rooting for you #courage

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This morning sc teased before commercial that they had a HUGE landmark breaking news announcement in college basketball.

I was intrigued and hung around a few minutes before heading out to work.

As soon as they started talking about "the 4th leading scorer on UMass" I figured it out and went on my merry way.

The bottom line is I just don't care. Sure, props to him for his courage or whatever and props to his coach and teammates for doing what any decent human being would do... but I just don't care.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is though, this is still an issue in today's world. It is becoming more and more of a non-issue but I'd say we are still pretty far off.

I don't care about anyone's sexual orientation, I just don't.

But his story will probably help other kids out there struggling with this, and for that I commend him.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is though, this is still an issue in today's world. It is becoming more and more of a non-issue but I'd say we are still pretty far off.

But his story will probably help other kids out there struggling with this, and for that I commend him.

:agree:

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This morning sc teased before commercial that they had a HUGE landmark breaking news announcement in college basketball.

I was intrigued and hung around a few minutes before heading out to work.

As soon as they started talking about "the 4th leading scorer on UMass" I figured it out and went on my merry way.

The bottom line is I just don't care. Sure, props to him for his courage or whatever and props to his coach and teammates for doing what any decent human being would do... but I just don't care.

:agree: I don't get it either. I know several openly gay Division I athletes. The 4th leading scorer for UMass gets articles written about him, makes the front page of the news, and is being talked about on Sports Center because he is a male and his teammates and coaches are accepting of his sexuality?

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already sick of this whole gay thing. Can't wait until all the "first openly gay athlete at this level" bullshit ends. If America doesn't want it to be an issue then they shouldn't make a big deal about it.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My issue is:

I know how I view an attractive woman and just love a hard body. One that is naked....It would take a lot of conditioning for me to not get a hard-on if we were both in a shower. And if she bent over to pick up the soap...man....A lot is being asked of me.

How do gay men address this?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He desperately wants to be drafted.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue is:

I know how I view an attractive woman and just love a hard body. One that is naked....It would take a lot of conditioning for me to not get a hard-on if we were both in a shower. And if she bent over to pick up the soap...man....A lot is being asked of me.

You think it's going to be different for him now since he's out of the closet?

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue is:

I'm sure most are the last to shower or if it's a home game don't even shower.

On the lax team there was a dude I was certain was gay, come to find out he is. I wasn't bothered then, even knowing.

I never witnessed him staring at me with a huge boner, and if he did, I honestly don't know how I'd react.

But I didn't care than, and I don't now.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad he came out and felt like he could but come on this is 2014 why should there be any pressure on someone to come out? Why should it matter which sex you like? Why should people feel ashamed about who they are?

People need to learn acceptance.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think it's going to be different for him now since he's out of the closet?

What I'm getting is because he hasn't created an issue in the shower before, why would he change. I guess that's fine. I thought about my earlier comment and we (girls and guys) went skinny dipping in high school and we didn't have any issues. But I was looking and figuring out who I was going to ask out though. :nod:

I'm sure most are the last to shower or if it's a home game don't even shower.

On the lax team there was a dude I was certain was gay, come to find out he is. I wasn't bothered then, even knowing.

I never witnessed him staring at me with a huge boner, and if he did, I honestly don't know how I'd react.

But I didn't care than, and I don't now.

Ok...that's a great answer from a guy who's been there. I'm sure we've all showered with gay men before and just didn't know it.

We'll see if as more people come out of the closet, people don't become more bold with their next move....which is who they are going to ask out.

Ok...my next question:

If it's ok for Gay men to shower with us "breeders"...is it ok for us male and female breeders to start using the same showers? If not what is the difference?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw his picture. He looks less than intelligent.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we had a nice hiatus from the most pushed agenda in the last decade.

Toucanbird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*yawn* Oh, I'm sorry. This is news? A gay D1 college basketball player? :omg:

Seriously though, why is this news? *sigh* There goes ESPN again spouting off "news that they think is news but 90% of America couldn't give a $h!t."

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*yawn* Oh, I'm sorry. This is news? A gay D1 college basketball player? :omg:

Seriously though, why is this news? *sigh* There goes ESPN again spouting off "news that they think is news but 90% of America couldn't give a $h!t."

Nor should we honestly. I mean it shouldn't matter in this day and age.

WEEI even brought up the story to say that media and everyone should just stop making this into a big deal and "breaking news."

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nor should we honestly. I mean it shouldn't matter in this day and age.

WEEI even brought up the story to say that media and everyone should just stop making this into a big deal and "breaking news."

The kid from Missouri(football) came out first anyways. This guy waited till someone else broke the ice and then did it as well.

I didn't read this story, but how exactly did he announce this?? A press conference or something like that??

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue is:

The same way attractive or even average women handle it.

Be aware that every single man they work with, go to school with, and is friends with them, maybe even 2nd cousins wants to screw them, and carry on with life...