• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

um KOVY RETIRED

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Biggest winner in all of this: Los Angeles Kings.

We beat them out to keep Kovy in the Summer of 2010. They beat us in the 2012 SCF and are in much better shape than us at the moment.

how insane is that! but if kovy didnt come here no way we make the finals 2 years ago. then again the kings wouldnt of got richards and carter who are beasts

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
anyone get this classic example of devils fail today in their mail?

Past, Present and Future Devils
As the temperatures have risen this summer so has the excitement with your New Jersey Devils! The Devils ended June at the 2013 NHL Draft™ by trading the 9th overall pick for Cory Schneider, and Martin Brodeur selected his son, Anthony Brodeur, to close out the night. July began to sizzle with free agency when the Devils inked forwards Ryane Clowe, Michael Ryder and Rostislav Olesz then resigned Patrik Elias, Dainius Zubrus and Marek Zidlicky. This week, past Devils greats Brendan Shanahan and Scott Niedermayer were selected as part of the Hockey Hall of Fame’s 2013 class.

The second half of the summer is sure to be just as hot as the first, so make sure to stay up-to-date with the team by visiting New Jersey Devils or connect with the team on social media.

Want to formally join the newest members of our team? Become a Devils Season Ticket Holder NOW! Click here.

o devils you continue to amaze me

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Y! SPORTS

well that sheds a little more light on it.

guess it was about the money. amazing that it seems more then enough for 99% of nhl players

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cup, I spoke to my cousin last night. He doesn't directly talk to Kovy, but he did ask the building manager at the job site what is going on.
The guy told him that they plan on finishing the house and living there. The family likes it here. They go back and forth between here, Russia and Florida.

If this is true, then he is getting some insane contract in Russia, and might end up living in NJ half the year.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cup, I spoke to my cousin last night. He doesn't directly talk to Kovy, but he did ask the building manager at the job site what is going on.
The guy told him that they plan on finishing the house and living there. The family likes it here. They go back and forth between here, Russia and Florida.

If this is true, then he is getting some insane contract in Russia, and might end up living in NJ half the year.

yeah i guess if its 20 million tax free like some reports have it why not have a house in alpine thats like chump change. damn 20 million for a hockey player? how the heck is the team over there going to turn a profit? i know its not about that over there but still what do they want to get malkin there? for another 20 million?

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
About Alpine property taxes, they actually are not that bad. There are 2 million dollar homes there and you pay about 10 K in taxes.

Reason?
High property values, small amount of school age children, no apartment blocks, only 3 commercial establishments.
Mail must be picked up at the post office. The town doesn't provide any services.
Its very private, not crowded. Thus taxes are not that bad there.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
rp you sound like a resident.......can i come watch a game in your mansion?

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ha, I wish. I can guarantee you I don't live in Alpine.
If I did, sure stop by. Just let security know by the front gates that you are Cup and they will let you pass.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am sure Elias will say something controversial or necessary.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even sure Alpine has it's own police force, if they do it's a handful of guys. I think the surrounding towns all chip in if they need to respond to a call.

I'm hoping (really reaching here but...) this whole thing actually makes the team gel and everyone steps up their performance as a result of his departure. I'm sure the Sens thought their season was fucked when Karlsson went down last year, instead everyone elevated their game and made the playoffs. Let's see Zajac have a 25 goal year, Clowe hit the 20 G mark, Elias top 70 points. We may not win the cup but at least make it entertaining.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yea, Karlsson and Spezza were hurt. Even Anderson went down for them and they had a great season.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah only problem is we saw what happened last year when we lost him for 10 games. 0-10

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah only problem is we saw what happened last year when we lost him for 10 games. 0-10

Different circumstances. Hopefully this is a galvanizing experience. Kovy going down last year was the last straw for a team that already had a fragile mindset.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plenty of time to get things right between now and October..sprinkle in another signing or two and a training camp that we didnt have last year and hopefully its enough to overcome this loss.

I dont know how big the move will be but I think its safe to say that the team we have today isnt gonna be the same team that we drop the puck with on opening night.

devil421

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
his first game was at home against the leafs. devils won it late in the 3rd scoring 3 goals in the final 3 mins i believe it was.

i was there :( much like against the canes in game 7 :(

Must have been first road game then since I don't live in NJ.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Back to Kovy, this situation is bigger than just the Devils. This will affect the entire NHL.
Kovy is not the first one to express his desire to play in Russia.
The next time a GM tries to sign a Russian star, this will be in back of his mind.

What I hope happens is the NHL together does something to either penalize these kinds of actions, or comes to an agreement with the KHL to prevent this.

What is to stop Kovalchuk from collecting 20 million a year for 4 years and then saying I want to go back to playing in the NHL? The rules should prevent that.

This whole mess will be felt by the entire league.

Also, I read a guy like Radulov makes 9 million a year. Take out the escrow and taxes, and these guys collect a lot more than players in the NHL. Don't be surprised if we start seeing more players follow Kovy to Russia.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to Kovy, this situation is bigger than just the Devils. This will affect the entire NHL.
Kovy is not the first one to express his desire to play in Russia.
The next time a GM tries to sign a Russian star, this will be in back of his mind.

What I hope happens is the NHL together does something to either penalize these kinds of actions, or comes to an agreement with the KHL to prevent this.

What is to stop Kovalchuk from collecting 20 million a year for 4 years and then saying I want to go back to playing in the NHL? The rules should prevent that.

This whole mess will be felt by the entire league.

Also, I read a guy like Radulov makes 9 million a year. Take out the escrow and taxes, and these guys collect a lot more than players in the NHL. Don't be surprised if we start seeing more players follow Kovy to Russia.

Apparently if the Devils wanted to, the league would push the issue so that he would have to sit out a year in the KHL. The Devils said we don't give a fuck, so he's able to play. As for a return to the NHL, it would require the approval of all 30 teams. I don't see that happening.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well one thing is all 30 teams will get to vote whether to let him back in the NHL or not..cant see the Devils voting yes even in 5 years..especially if its with a different team.

The threat of the KHL has always been there but I agree now it will be on the minds of the brass much more because of Kovy's actions.

Special clauses in contracts will now have to be added because of this mess.