• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UGA flies family of injured Southern player (spinal injury)

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UGA flies in family of Southern player with serious spinal injury - CBSSports.com

Devon Gales sustained a serious spinal injury and neck fractures in a collision on special teams in Southern's game against Georgia on Saturday.

Gales was transported to Athens Regional Hospital immediately where he remains. Gales' neck was stabilized and he has movement in his upper body.

Southern released a statement on Sunday updating his health status.

"Gales suffered several fractures in his neck that were stabilized," said the statement. "He continues to have movement in his upper body and remains in good spirits and will remain at Athens Regional until he is released to return to Baton Rouge for further treatment."

The University of Georgia paid to fly Gales' family out to Athens on Saturday night and drove them to the hospital, according to Dawg Nation. Georgia coach Mark Richt, other members of the coaching staff and team chaplains have visited Gales in the hospital on Sunday.

“We're trying to cover him up with as much love as we can, and let him know that we care, let him know that we're here to help,” Richt said to Dawg Nation. “We're just gonna continue to pray, and I know the Bulldog nation is behind him as well. There may come a time where there may be some needs. Not exactly sure yet. But it does come to that I'm going to be calling all Dawgs to get involved and to help out.”

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kudos to Georgia, Richt is a stand-up guy. Prayers for the kid to make a full recovery, regardless of whether or not his football playing days continue

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several fractures? jesus

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several fractures? jesus

not all fractured vertebrae are the same. there are many factors that go into the degree of severity of the injury. they aren't as rare as many think. I have no idea to the severity of his fractures but i hope they are of the more common easily treatable ones and that it doesn't cause him complications/pain for the rest of his life. No one deserves that shit.

Hopefully Richt's actions will catch on and become a trend and this kind of good faith gesture will become almost expected in the world of college football.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not all fractured vertebrae are the same. there are many factors that go into the degree of severity of the injury. they aren't as rare as many think. I have no idea to the severity of his fractures but i hope they are of the more common easily treatable ones and that it doesn't cause him complications/pain for the rest of his life. No one deserves that shit.

Hopefully Richt's actions will catch on and become a trend and this kind of good faith gesture will become almost expected in the world of college football.

Or any world of sports in general.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or any world of sports in general.
i agree although amateur sports should get some extra attention paid their way. A lot of these kids are dirt poor and their families even poorer. Special circumstances should be made in these situations in terms of the monetary gift rules the schools are allowed to donate. I'm not 100% sure how all that works though so maybe there are already some provisions in there about that.

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when will they know if he'll regain any movement in his lower body? can some of these fractures only temporarily paralyze those areas?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very classy by Richt and Georgia. Prayers for Gales to make a full recovery.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess it's a longshot to recover use of lower extremities. But like it was touched on above, wont really know for sure for awhile.

Agree that I think Richt is a good guy, and he also called on the UGA family to help with costs for this kid.