• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UCLA and USC to the Big Ten

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Big 12 and Pac 12 merged could make two 11 teams divisions this all depends on what Notre Dame does if they don't join the Big 10 Oregon and Washington will have no choice thoughts?

WVU, Kansas, Kansas St, UCF, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Houston

Oregon, Oregon St, Arizona, Arizona St, Washington, Washington St, Utah, Stanford, BYU, Cal, Colorado

Play everyone in your own division that would be 10 games giving teams 2 open spots for whoever

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some chatter about Oregon and Notre Dame

N.D. will join the BigTen as long as they have have to play Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin or meeeechegan during the regular season. :heh:

Just joking around. Not a N.D. hater. Actually I hope Marcus Freeman's successful in South Bend.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Big 12 and Pac 12 merged could make two 11 teams divisions this all depends on what Notre Dame does if they don't join the Big 10 Oregon and Washington will have no choice thoughts?

WVU, Kansas, Kansas St, UCF, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Houston

Oregon, Oregon St, Arizona, Arizona St, Washington, Washington St, Utah, Stanford, BYU, Cal, Colorado

Play everyone in your own division that would be 10 games giving teams 2 open spots for whoever
Another possibility is the PAC-12 and Big 12 stalemate and ND drags their feet waiting for the ACC to collapse.

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's next?

Notre Dame

USC pushing ND to join the BIG.
ND only comes with Stanford.
Makes two of it's annual games in conference, add the couple they play in the BIG.
And NBC who they have their contract with now helps by getting the piece of the BIG which they are bidding on now.

About the ACC.
The Big 12
could be the key to unlocking the Grant of Right bottle neck in the ACC.
Among the other three is the Big 12 who may be in the driver's seat.
Brett Yormark the new Commissioner of the Big 12 an ESPN conference now could go directly to ESPN.
The pitch, we could go coast to coast with 20 teams if you could take care of the ACC Grant of Rights.
And those schools going to the SEC and the Big 12 would still be ESPN product with added PAC 12 schools to replace a couple that might go BIG Ten and Fox.
They have 12 schools now.

If you're going to be the little brother, be the biggest little brother you can.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everyone seems to forget The B1G DOES look at a school's research dollar intake. Nebraska did meet the minimum requirements when they got accepted but I think they are regretting that pick now? Could Nebraska get the boot in favor of a better school?

So seeing so many bring up Oregon as if they are a no brainer doesn't make sense to me? It's connection to Nike could have something to do with it, I suppose? And that makes it seem even worse to me.
Not a big fan of the B1G talking about/considering taking Oregon. Crappy research dollar intake. I mean USC and UCLA added to the B1G in athletics, academics, research and media footprint, and both are national brands. Oregon's only been decent recently because of Uncle Phil's dirty money in 3 sports, granted 2 of them are the big 2, but it is dity money and I don't like that. That guy dies? Oregon is not that big of a state, it's media footprint is not as big as Washington's. I think it would be a bad pick up. If they feel the need to get anothe west coast team to pair up with UW, go with Stanford, the cream of the crop, the belle of the ball.

Washington? Sure. You get a top notch academic school that rakes in the research dollars, the Seattle media market, but not sure how well their athletics have been, but joining the B1G could help with that?

Stanford? Already made the case for them.

Cal? Top notch academically and research dollars wise, but it's not adding a ton to the media footprint seeing as the B1G already took 2 Cali schools, and their athletics have not been that great.

Arizona? Better pick than Oregon in my book. They've done well in football in the past and joining the B1G could help them, although it wouldn't help them beat out USC/UCLA for Cali recruits. Decent academics and research dollar intake. Arizona wouldn't be a bad media footprint, either.

Arizona St? Seems to be similar to Arizona almost across the board, did better than Arizona recently in fb, and not that I think it would ever be a determining factor, but possible a sort of tie breaker, ASU does have hockey, hockey does play on the B1G Network and the B1G wants more teams in it's hockey conference. USC and UCLA both used to have hockey teams back in the 1930s, so it wouldn't shock me if one or both of those schools considered adding hockey in the future.

Colorado? Like the Oregon talk, I don't like this talk, either. Their athletics suck, I'm thinking their academics and research are worse than Nebraska's. They do have a decent media footprint but I can't believe the B1G would stoop to taking this bad of an option when there are so many more out there? I'm wondering(hoping) that the Colorado and Oregon talk is just to peak the interest of other schools? Like I said, that's what I want, not necessarily what I think is going on.

Utah? Nah. Do I even need to explain why? Same definitely goes for WSU and OSU.

Out of the Pac, I know Notre Dame is a high priority, and ND is in the hockey B1G so maybe, just maybe that has made that more possible? I still hope it never happens. I hope Notre Dame holds out til it's too late and gets left out in the cold.

There are several good ACC schools I could see the B1G going after. The only reason I don't like UNC is because they won't go to the B1G without Duke coming along and I definitely don't want Duke in the B1G. Virginia & Georgia Tech deliver most of what the B1G wants right now, cept high quality fb, but they took Rutgers and Maryland, so research and media footprint seem to be more important than how good their football is? Miami and FSU deliver a big media footprint and potentially some good football, but not sure how they rate academically or research wise? Louisville has seemingly been on the rise in sports at least. Cincy? B1G doesn't want a 2nd team from the same state if possible, not sure if USC/UCLA got a pass in that regard because other factors made up for that or what? Saw TCU mentioned, getting a school from Texas would be a good move, not sure TCU is the best one to go with, but I don't know enough about TCU, tbh.

I think the Pac's best move right now is to start talking to the Big 12 about a merger.

The B1G? Not sure if they are going to hold off on expansion for now and see what comes up, and react to what another conference does like it seems they did to the SEC's adding UT/OU, or if they want to be the first to go bigger than 16? Might depend on who they can and can not add? If the right schools come a knocking, they might not be able to resist?

How do I feel about the USC/UCLA add? The vast majority of me hates it with every fiber of my being. I don't like either school, and I'm not sure how I feel about flying out to Commiefornia to see any games. The weather might be nice out there in November, so that's not the worse thing.

Guess it gives diehard football fans something to talk about in the offseason?

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everyone seems to forget The B1G DOES look at a school's research dollar intake. Nebraska did meet the minimum requirements when they got accepted but I think they are regretting that pick now? Could Nebraska get the boot in favor of a better school?

So seeing so many bring up Oregon as if they are a no brainer doesn't make sense to me? It's connection to Nike could have something to do with it, I suppose? And that makes it seem even worse to me.
Not a big fan of the B1G talking about/considering taking Oregon. Crappy research dollar intake. I mean USC and UCLA added to the B1G in athletics, academics, research and media footprint, and both are national brands. Oregon's only been decent recently because of Uncle Phil's dirty money in 3 sports, granted 2 of them are the big 2, but it is dity money and I don't like that. That guy dies? Oregon is not that big of a state, it's media footprint is not as big as Washington's. I think it would be a bad pick up. If they feel the need to get anothe west coast team to pair up with UW, go with Stanford, the cream of the crop, the belle of the ball.

Washington? Sure. You get a top notch academic school that rakes in the research dollars, the Seattle media market, but not sure how well their athletics have been, but joining the B1G could help with that?

Cal? Top notch academically and research dollars wise, but it's not adding a ton to the media footprint seeing as the B1G already took 2 Cali schools, and their athletics have not been that great.

Arizona? Better pick than Oregon in my book. They've done well in football in the past and joining the B1G could help them, although it wouldn't help them beat out USC/UCLA for Cali recruits. Decent academics and research dollar intake. Arizona wouldn't be a bad media footprint, either.

Arizona St? Seems to be similar to Arizona almost across the board, did better than Arizona recently in fb, and not that I think it would ever be a determining factor, but possible a sort of tie breaker, ASU does have hockey, hockey does play on the B1G Network and the B1G wants more teams in it's hockey conference. USC and UCLA both used to have hockey teams back in the 1930s, so it wouldn't shock me if one or both of those schools considered adding hockey in the future.

Colorado? Like the Oregon talk, I don't like this talk, either. Their athletics suck, I'm thinking their academics and research are worse than Nebraska's. They do have a decent media footprint but I can't believe the B1G would stoop to taking this bad of an option when there are so many more out there? I'm wondering(hoping) that the Colorado and Oregon talk is just to peak the interest of other schools? Like I said, that's what I want, not necessarily what I think is going on.

Out of the Pac, I know Notre Dame is a high priority, and ND is in the hockey B1G so maybe, just maybe that has made that more possible? I still hope it never happens. I hope Notre Dame holds out til it's too late and gets left out in the cold.

There are several good ACC schools I could see the B1G going after. The only reason I don't like UNC is because they won't go to the B1G without Duke coming along and I definitely don't want Duke in the B1G. Virginia & Georgia Tech deliver most of what the B1G wants right now, cept high quality fb, but they took Rutgers and Maryland, so research and media footprint seem to be more important than how good their football is? Miami and FSU deliver a big media footprint and potentially some good football, but not sure how they rate academically or research wise? Louisville has seemingly been on the rise in sports at least. Cincy? B1G doesn't want a 2nd team from the same state if possible, not sure if USC/UCLA got a pass in that regard because other factors made up for that or what? Saw TCU mentioned, getting a school from Texas would be a good move, not sure TCU is the best one to go with, but I don't know enough about TCU, tbh.

I think the Pac's best move right now is to start talking to the Big 12 about a merger.

The B1G? Not sure if they are going to hold off on expansion for now and see what comes up, and react to what another conference does like it seems they did to the SEC's adding UT/OU, or if they want to be the first to go bigger than 16? Might depend on who they can and can not add? If the right schools come a knocking, they might not be able to resist?

How do I feel about the USC/UCLA add? The vast majority of me hates it with every fiber of my being. I don't like either school, and I'm not sure how I feel about flying out to Commiefornia to see any games. The weather might be nice out there in November, so that's not the worse thing.

You want a really well done set of slides that includes the research dollars here's a well done one. It covers a bunch of over expansion stuff too but the research dollars is interesting. As Maryland fan and alumni I was surprised how much we spend. We were not embarrassed.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley saw Wazzu is on the schedule for the next 2 years and begged to get out of the conference.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, no conference is going to nab a core ACC team. I just don’t see it. Of course, I’m guessing no Pac-12 fan saw this, so… But, while the ACC didn’t score on the TV deals like others, they DID contractually lock down their membership. I see it more likely at this point that IF Notre Dame bolts (they probably have the $$$ to breach contract), the ACC has leverage to nab West Virginia and I’d see Cincy, but would prefer Okie State probably?

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, no conference is going to nab a core ACC team. I just don’t see it. Of course, I’m guessing no Pac-12 fan saw this, so… But, while the ACC didn’t score on the TV deals like others, they DID contractually lock down their membership. I see it more likely at this point that IF Notre Dame bolts (they probably have the $$$ to breach contract), the ACC has leverage to nab West Virginia and I’d see Cincy, but would prefer Okie State probably?
So exactly what market revenue does WV bring to the ACC to increase the average current school full share?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If any school gets a boot in the BIG, it's Rutgers for sketchy financial dealings/situations and being a complete zero when it comes to content generation. There an example of why markets are only part of the story.

Who the fuck outside of NY/NJ gives a shit about literally anything Rutgers? Some rando CFB junkie would stream OSU-Anybody though.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So exactly what market revenue does WV bring to the ACC to increase the average current school full share?
I don’t think the ACC plays the “Market Share” game the way others do. Is that naive? Maybe. But I see it as wanting to remain a tight knit, but relevant group is all.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any school gets a boot in the BIG, it's Rutgers for sketchy financial dealings/situations and being a complete zero when it comes to content generation. There an example of why markets are only part of the story.

Who the fuck outside of NY/NJ gives a shit about literally anything Rutgers? Some rando CFB junkie would stream OSU-Anybody though.
It just seems weird to boot a school that just joined. Honestly still don’t feel Rutgers OR Maryland really belong, but whatevs.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just seems weird to boot a school that just joined. Honestly still don’t feel Rutgers OR Maryland really belong, but whatevs.
Well, yeah, probably wouldn't happen. Just straining myself thinking how some dude justifies booting Nebraska.