• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UCLA and USC to the Big Ten

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly

There are only a handful of rivalries left the have National interest.

USC/Notre Dame
Michigan/Ohio State
OU/Texas
Alabama/Auburn
Florida/Georgia
Army/Navy (one of my favorites)

Some of those may not move the needle,
But we tune in anyway
We shall see. I'm sure they intend to try and keep playing it and USC has succeeded in maintaining it while playing 9 P12 games so it's possible

But those good intentions can go out the window fast when you're playing 5 road games in the B10 and they're

@Wisconsin
@Iowa
@Nebraska
@Penn St
@Ohio St

Its possible but there's a difference between playing a B10 road schedule as a team from California and playing a P12 road schedule

The benefit for USC is they won't need the extra money from the additional home game as they'll be making so much moreb in the B10

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they aren't done. Some of these might be further along for joining than others. take cal out.

Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Miami, and Florida State,

I still think the B1G stands pat until ND decides what they’re going to do.
I’m still expecting the PAC to get raided by the Big XII and the PAC to take some Mountain West schools as a result. Maybe the MW takes a couple of C-USA schools (NMSU and UTEP) and then the rest of C-USA gets gobbled up by either the MAC, AAC or Sun Belt.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC is in a strange spot. They need more $$$, they need to expand, but any move they make could open legal loopholes in the GOR deal that is keeping current members in the conference.

Honestly not sure what is going to happen.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC is in a strange spot. They need more $$$, they need to expand, but any move they make could open legal loopholes in the GOR deal that is keeping current members in the conference.

Honestly not sure what is going to happen.
They need to somehow convince Notre Dame and someone else to come aboard along with getting ESPN to renegotiate their deal to keep up with the SEC and B1G. Neither one I’m sure is no easy task. Swafford being behind the eight ball all of those years has really hurt the conference.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to somehow convince Notre Dame and someone else to come aboard along with getting ESPN to renegotiate their deal to keep up with the SEC and B1G. Neither one I’m sure is no easy task. Swafford being behind the eight ball all of those years has really hurt the conference.
Yeah, Swofford may very well have run the conference into an iceberg. Not like there weren’t a whole slew of people on deck shouting a warning to him.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly

There are only a handful of rivalries left the have National interest.

USC/Notre Dame
Michigan/Ohio State
OU/Texas
Alabama/Auburn
Florida/Georgia
Army/Navy (one of my favorites)

Some of those may not move the needle,
But we tune in anyway

As far as rivalries Army/Navy should always be considered one of the best. It's not about the records or bowl games. It's about what those kids do after their playing days that makes it so special.

Go Navy!

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Swofford may very well have run the conference into an iceberg. Not like there weren’t a whole slew of people on deck shouting a warning to him.
You’re definitely right about that. Phillips is not in an enviable situation right now to say the least.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall see. I'm sure they intend to try and keep playing it and USC has succeeded in maintaining it while playing 9 P12 games so it's possible

But those good intentions can go out the window fast when you're playing 5 road games in the B10 and they're

@Wisconsin
@Iowa
@Nebraska
@Penn St
@Ohio St

Its possible but there's a difference between playing a B10 road schedule as a team from California and playing a P12 road schedule

The benefit for USC is they won't need the extra money from the additional home game as they'll be making so much moreb in the B10
I don't mean to be rude, but...

A) What are the chances that USC would ever have to face those teams in the same year and on the road?

B) I think OU and Texas need to worry more than USC:
Ohio State < Alabama
Michigan < Louisiana State
Wisconsin < Georgia
Penn State < Florida
Iowa < Auburn
Michigan State < Texas A&M
Minnesota < Arkansas
Nebraska < Tennessee

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A) What are the chances that USC would ever have to face those teams in the same year and on the road?

Ohio State < Alabama
Wisconsin < Georgia
Penn State < Florida
Iowa < Auburn
Minnesota < Arkansas
Nebraska < Tennessee

Actually pretty good as they'll be in the West so itll be rotated with the East opponents

But that's not really the point either

The point is it's exceedingly tough for teams who play 9 league games to have a permanent OOC opponent. Especially one as good as ND

If you're USC and your goal is to make the playoff then scheduling ND every year on top of playing a 9 game B10 schedule isn't a good way to do it

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@Wisconsin
@Iowa
@Nebraska
@Penn St
@Ohio St

lol

USC/Notre Dame isn't going anywhere.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't see USC/N.D. going away. When did the rivalry start, 1925? And I think the only time it was canceled was during WW II.

1926. The game wasn't played 1943-1945 (WW2) and in 2020 (Covid).

The only other time there was a serious threat was, I believe in the '30s, Notre Dame considered canceling because of how long it took to travel by train from South Bend to LA.

Knute Rockne convinced them to keep it by arguing that, in the future, all travel would be by air.

Last edited:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

USC/Notre Dame isn't going anywhere.
Initially im sure you're right

I'd wager within 10 years its not being played anymore though. Lots of important rivalries have been lost over the years

Hope I'm wrong. Love the game

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd wager within 10 years its not being played anymore though.

And you would lose. I'd argue that if the B1G could somehow leverage the USC/ND game, they could get ND to join the conference rather than lose that game.

But they couldn't without USC's cooperation...which they wouldn't get.

No offense, but trying to claim this game could be jeopardized by USC going to the PAC, shows you don't know anything about how committed both programs are to keeping the game.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you would lose. I'd argue that if the B1G could somehow leverage the USC/ND game, they could get ND to join the conference rather than lose that game.

But they couldn't without USC's cooperation...which they wouldn't get.

No offense, but trying to claim this game could be jeopardized by USC going to the PAC, shows you don't know anything about how committed both programs are to keeping the game.
Maybe. Like i said in 100% sure that's the thought process now

I can list you a dozen rivalries that fans used to believe would never go away too

I get it. You're a SC fan and you believe this rivalry is somehow more special than those other ones were.

Only time will tell so there's not much point in debating it

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1926. The game wasn't played 1943-1945 (WW2) and in 2020 (Covid).

The only other time there was a serious threat was, I believe in the '30s, Notre Dame considered canceling because of how long it took to travel by train from South Bend to LA.

Knute Rockne convinced them to keep it by arguing that, in the future, all travel would be by air.

Hey I was at close about when the rivalry started. Thought I was off by a couple of years when I guessed. And it's a good thing it wasn't canceled. Rivalry games are always great.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ohio State < Alabama
Wisconsin < Georgia
Penn State < Florida
Iowa < Auburn
Minnesota < Arkansas
Nebraska < Tennessee
How do you figure all of those SEC teams are better than those B1G teams? Are you honestly that biases/ignorant? Wow, dude.

I mean Georgia over the Badgers, ok and Tennessee over the hapless Corn huskers, sure but LSU has to go back to 2014 to gain a 1 win advantage over Michigan, excluding 2020.

The rest of your list is total BS.

PSU has 63 wins since 2014, Florida only has 57*.

Iowa has 64 vs Auburn's 56*.

MSU has 60 vs A&M's 56*.

Minnesota has 55 vs Arkansas' 40*, lol.

* - all totals excluding 2020's covid unbalanced schedule.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually pretty good as they'll be in the West so itll be rotated with the East opponents

But that's not really the point either

The point is it's exceedingly tough for teams who play 9 league games to have a permanent OOC opponent. Especially one as good as ND

If you're USC and your goal is to make the playoff then scheduling ND every year on top of playing a 9 game B10 schedule isn't a good way to do it
I understand your point but it misses the mark. A 9-games conference schedule is too much. In order to play a round robin with 14 teams (now) would require 91 conference games. The SEC and ACC manage to find their conference Champ with only 56 games plus the CCG game(62.6% of needed). The Big Ten uses 63 +1 currently (70.3% of needed). The PAC with 12 teams could play a round robin with a total of 66 but plays 54 +1 CCG (83.3% of needed). The Big 12 would need 45 games to round robin but play 46 (102.2% of needed). There are 64 P5 conference teams (omitting ND for the moment) . In order to play an OOC-only round robin among the 64 teams there would need to be 1632 games per year, of which teams usually play 30-32 games (or less than 2%)!! Many of these aren't very meaningful (e.g., Michigan vs Vanderbilt).

IF each P5 team played TWO P5 opponents OOC that would give 64 games (out of 1632!). IF each P5 team played ONE G5 teams each year that also would give 64 games.

The P5 teams need to agree to play TWO P5 opponent and ONE G5 opponent every year. The other nine games are up to the conferences. They can play 9 conference games or 8 conference games and ONE "freebie". It's their conference let then do as they wish to determine their winner. But no whining about being left out of the playoffs.

There is something else to remember in OOC vs IC games. Let's assume all P5 conferences are alike in strength and depth (for the sake of argument). The #1 team in each conference can only schedule teams #2-14 in their own conference or #8 on average. IF they play a random OOC game vs a P5 team then on average the opponents strength would be 7.5 (opponents #1-14) or better than the in-conference strength! For the top 1/2 of the conference replacing a random in conference game with a random OOC games on average would improve their SOS! Now, since teams gets to pick their OOC opponent as opposed to the usual conference rotation schedule then teams can improve their SOS IF they choose to do so but again no bitching allowed about getting bumped for poor SOS!