• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UCLA and USC to the Big Ten

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean you're not wrong but i get Freds point too

All of us here are older than kids picking colleges now so we remember when Team X was good but lots of recruits don't

It's a fair question to ask "at what point does what you did in the past become irrelevant to recruits"

The Gators ( since they were brought up ) last won a natty when the kids looking to go to college next season were 3 years old

Do they care anymore about that than they do Minnesota winning one 60 years ago?

We all tend to look at stuff through our own prism so yeah when youre 45 year old guy like myself of course you think "well obviously Florida is a easy better football school than Minnesota" but if you're a 16 year old you probably don't see much difference

It's never a bad thing to have some pride in the team(s) you root for. But he just takes it over the top all the time.

I have never seen someone overly pimp-up a team that hasn't won a national title since 1960 and hasn't been very relevant on the national stage or even in conference in decades.

Fleck's done a nice job so far. But he doesn't have the Gophers challenging for a division title on any type of a regular basis. And the national stage, forget about that. Yet Freddy says some of the dumbest things in an attempt to make the program look better than they really are.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's never a bad thing to have some pride in the team(s) you root for. But he just takes it over the top all the time.

I have never seen someone overly pimp-up a team that hasn't won a national title since 1960 and hasn't been very relevant on the national stage or even in conference in decades.

Fleck's done a nice job so far. But he doesn't have the Gophers challenging for a division title on any type of a regular basis. And the national stage, forget about that. Yet Freddy says some of the dumbest things in an attempt to make the program look better than they really are.
I think it would actually be an interesting thread to pretend you were a 16 year old kid and then debate the teams you would consider as most relevant

Id eager of be very different from what most of us think it'd be if you were liking at it solely from the eyes of a teenager.

The top 8-10b would probably not be to different than most would think but if you got into that 11-25 range I'd be very very different imo

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would actually be an interesting thread to pretend you were a 16 year old kid and then debate the teams you would consider as most relevant

Id eager of be very different from what most of us think it'd be if you were liking at it solely from the eyes of a teenager.

The top 8-10b would probably not be to different than most would think but if you got into that 11-25 range I'd be very very different imo

When I was 16 N.D. won the national title that year & The U were in the middle of winning 2 titles in 3 years.

The U, FSU, N.D., Nebraska, Oklahoma. Maybe I missed some. But those were the relevant teams I remember from back then. Barry Sanders and his video game like numbers on his way to the Heisman.

I turn 50 next week. Thanks for making me feel old!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B1G should deny ND games against B1G conference members.
Let's see them get $75mil playing directional tech and the service academies.

lol

Good luck getting USC to go along with that.

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

Good luck getting USC to go along with that.
You're right
Most don't realize that the BIG Ten is indirectly responsible for ND being a national brand. :)
Early 1900's when the BIG Ten schools were playing football, ND was all in.
Then later an Anti Catholic guy became the BIG Ten Commissioner and wouldn't let them play ND
Caused ND to schedule all over to overcome that issue
And it ended up working out well for them

Funny if the coast to coast conference that was to become the PAC wasn't done in by the Pentagon, ND would have been in that conference

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC will do what they are told by the B1G.

lol

If you say so. The B1G doesn't have as much leverage as you seem to think. USC brings the 2nd largest market in the country. I'd be willing to bet that keeping the ND game has already been negotiated before USC agreed to join.

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

If you say so. The B1G doesn't have as much leverage as you seem to think. USC brings the 2nd largest market in the country. I'd be willing to bet that keeping the ND game has already been negotiated before USC agreed to join.
USC will have 3 non con games to do whatever they wish

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

Id be shocked if USC continues to play ND regularly

With 9 league games very few teams have a traditional OOC risk they play each year

Iowa has been trying to dump ISU for a decade.

It's just too hard to get so the home games you need AND also play a quality OOC schedule when you're locked into a game each year especially for a team like USC who will be leaving behind other big rivals they'll likely want to play semi frequently too

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With 9 league games very few teams have a traditional OOC risk they play each year

It's just too hard to get so the home games you need AND also play a quality OOC schedule when you're locked into a game each year especially for a team like USC who will be leaving behind other big rivals they'll likely want to play semi frequently too
Yeah there are only a handful left like Iowa/Iowa St
Georgia/GT

Not sure the Ok/Ok St game will continue annually

For USC you'd have maybe Stanford, Cal and ND
Then maybe Washington and Oregon on ones list?

WV used to play Pitt every year but doesn't now

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah there are only a handful left like Iowa/Iowa St
Georgia/GT

Not sure the Ok/Ok St game will continue annually

For USC you'd have maybe Stanford, Cal and ND
Then maybe Washington and Oregon on ones list?

WV used to play Pitt every year but doesn't now
And UGA and GT only play 8 conference games too. Same with Clemson/So Carolina, Florida and FSU etc

Leagues that play 9 rarely rarely have that traditional OOC game

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And UGA and GT only play 8 conference games too. Same with Clemson/So Carolina, Florida and FSU etc

Leagues that play 9 rarely rarely have that traditional OOC game
For the in conference rivalry, I like the new 3-6-6 or 3-5-5 schedule models.
You get to keep at least 1 or 2
USC/UCLA etc
Hope the BIG Ten goes that way.

Doesn't help Maryland or Rutgers, they haven't been around long enough to have BIG Ten rivalry
If the BIG goes that way, I'm sure Rutgers will be one of our 3.
The 2 new kids.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the in conference rivalry, I like the new 3-6-6 or 3-5-5 schedule models.
You get to keep at least 1 or 2
USC/UCLA etc
Hope the BIG Ten goes that way.

Doesn't help Maryland or Rutgers, they haven't been around long enough to have BIG Ten rivalry
If the BIG goes that way, I'm sure Rutgers will be one of our 3.
The 2 new kids.
I honestly prefer 4 pods of 4 myself

Then you get 3 teams you play every year and rotate the other 6

So like

OSU
PSU
MD
Rutgers

MSU
Michigan
Indiana
Purdue

Illinois
NW
Wisconsin
Mineesota

USC
UCLA
Iowa
Nebraska

4 pod winners play in the B10 semis then winners in the title game

Likely won't happen but I'd prefer that

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

They can always go back to the Pac.

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly prefer 4 pods of 4 myself

Then you get 3 teams you play every year and rotate the other 6

So like

OSU
PSU
MD
Rutgers

MSU
Michigan
Indiana
Purdue

Illinois
NW
Wisconsin
Mineesota

USC
UCLA
Iowa
Nebraska

4 pod winners play in the B10 semis then winners in the title game

Likely won't happen but I'd prefer that
With the 12 game schedule can add two games? vs the one game now

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the 12 game schedule can add two games? vs the one game now
Itd only be 1 extra game for 2 teams

The alternative is going 4/5/6 years without paying a team in your own conference ( which i hate )

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd be shocked if they don't.

I don't think some folks understand how dedicated both schools are to keeping that game. The only ''big rival'' USC has besides the Domers is UCLA and they are coming with USC.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yes he has. He's only been there 5 years, most people are willing to forget a coaches first season at a new school. So if you look at the last 4 years, and throw out the covid year, he got them into a bowl game in season two and won, and he's challenged for the Division Title the last 2 non-covid seasons. Technically he's won a Division Title. And it's not like he got blown out in the games that would have given him the outright Division Titles, he lost those games by less than 7 points.

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Itd only be 1 extra game for 2 teams

The alternative is going 4/5/6 years without paying a team in your own conference ( which i hate )
Yeah I hate that too
Which is why I like the 3-6-6, you play 6 home and away every 4 years.
Your POD does too, just don't know if we can. :)

Tritonboat71

50-55-56-74-75-85-00
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be shocked if they don't.

I don't think some folks understand how dedicated both schools are to keeping that game. The only ''big rival'' USC has besides the Domers is UCLA and they are coming with USC.

Exactly

There are only a handful of rivalries left the have National interest.

USC/Notre Dame
Michigan/Ohio State
OU/Texas
Alabama/Auburn
Florida/Georgia
Army/Navy (one of my favorites)

Some of those may not move the needle,
But we tune in anyway