• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tyron Smith

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players know what their value is. If you give a contract to a current player or another teams current player it's pretty much the same. As far as renegotiating the cheap first year contracts there is also a benefit to not doing that for those cheap players. Once you do it you lose that $2M cap hit and incur more. To me it just comes down to how you structure things. What has killed Dallas is giving too much money to guys that don't deserve it or paying guys for what they've already done, not what you expect them to do in the future.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players know what their value is. If you give a contract to a current player or another teams current player it's pretty much the same. As far as renegotiating the cheap first year contracts there is also a benefit to not doing that for those cheap players. Once you do it you lose that $2M cap hit and incur more. To me it just comes down to how you structure things. What has killed Dallas is giving too much money to guys that don't deserve it or paying guys for what they've already done, not what you expect them to do in the future.

I agree. THats why Philly dumped Desean. THat was their one really bad contract. He was getting over 10 million this year and 11 and 12 mill over the next two years. All teams make mistakes and thats why Philly got rid of that contract even if it does hurt them on the field. Teams can roll over the cap monies. Philly didnt really sign any major FA's even though they are more then 20 mill under the cap right now. THey are going to use that money and Deseans to resign Foles, Cox, Boykin and Kendricks early. If Foles has a big year again Philly is going to have to dig really deep in their pockets. Im sure they will try to low ball him after this year buy breaking his rookie contract 2 years early. I understand the salary cap but it sucks when you cant even keep the good players you draft. I also think teams should have the ability to over pay 1 or 2 name players without it affecting their cap. DeMarcus Ware is a Cowboy and it would be nice to have some sort of waiver to keep these guys like DeMarcus or Dawkins. It just wont seem right seeing Ware in Broncos blue just as it was hard to see an aging Dawkins in the same Bronco blue.

Players do know their worth but if they can get that big guaranteed bonus money early sometimes they bite. But while this works it has also burned teams as well. Star player get pissed being under paid even if they were rewarded early. Its definitely not a cure all.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free was great early on last year. Later in the year he wasn't quite as good. He certainly earned his contract last year and is reasonable again this year, but then it goes up again. We still need to upgrade the spot long term and RG as well, but it isn't a huge need that we must fill, more a place to upgrade if it presents itself. IMO we should be upgrading one of the two spots this year and the other next year. Only so many spots to upgrade in one offseason. If we grab a guy like Lewan we let Free and MB fight for the spot at RG. If we get a guy like Martin maybe we start him at Guard and then move him to Tackle the next year. If we don't use a draft pick on OL we need to sign someone because the Guard depth is very weak right now. I'm hesitant to rely on Waters coming back even though I would be happy to have him back for one more year.

oh I am with you on drafting another lineman. I don't think of free as some kinda all pro or anything. Just his performance to salary last year was fine with me. What I would have said but you already pointed out. We couldn't fix every spot in one year. I think Guard is our weakest spot of the 5 right now, & heard through the million draft articles that we might be interested in Martin as a guard. Something about arms not being long enough for a pro tackle or something. I don't know enough about lineman technique to refute this. Just what I read.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh I am with you on drafting another lineman. I don't think of free as some kinda all pro or anything. Just his performance to salary last year was fine with me. What I would have said but you already pointed out. We couldn't fix every spot in one year. I think Guard is our weakest spot of the 5 right now, & heard through the million draft articles that we might be interested in Martin as a guard. Something about arms not being long enough for a pro tackle or something. I don't know enough about lineman technique to refute this. Just what I read.

The only thing about Martin is ......... Jerry doesn't draft guards in the 1st round

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing about Martin is ......... Jerry doesn't draft guards in the 1st round

that is because back in the day with the huge contracts 1st rounders got, it wasn't worth the bang for the buck.
Jerry doesn't draft center in the 1st until last year too.
trends will continue to change from back in the day with the rookie cap. Not saying we will draft him, or even be offense at all. Just saying if he is one of the BPA, the old days trends wont matter.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is because back in the day with the huge contracts 1st rounders got, it wasn't worth the bang for the buck.
Jerry doesn't draft center in the 1st until last year too.
trends will continue to change from back in the day with the rookie cap. Not saying we will draft him, or even be offense at all. Just saying if he is one of the BPA, the old days trends wont matter.

True but Frederick was pick 32nd ..... That's the only range Jerry would take a guard at.

Now if they think he is a tackle then at 16 makes sense

Will be plenty of guards in the later rounds ... he's the only one I have seen mocked in the 1st so far and he is a G/T both guy

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but Frederick was pick 32nd ..... That's the only range Jerry would take a guard at.

Now if they think he is a tackle then at 16 makes sense

Will be plenty of guards in the later rounds ... he's the only one I have seen mocked in the 1st so far and he is a G/T both guy

Since we got Melton at DT, I have no favorites for round 1. I am one of the few that wouldn't mind trading back, unless the scouts have some guy rated much higher than the rest, but seems like a lot of these guys are gonna be in the same ballpark rating wise. So if they trade back say like Net has us going back to 26. Who knows. You gonna be upset picking up a quality O-lineman at 26?

Right now the only guy I am hoping to get, is ward, but I am starting to see him go in the 1st round in mocks, even one where he went ahead of pryor. So I don't think he will be around at #47.
Gonna be a wide open interesting draft this year for sure.

Personally I just want to draft some more O-line somewhere in the draft. Doesn't have to be 1st round. DL is a given is gonna be drafted.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we got Melton at DT, I have no favorites for round 1. I am one of the few that wouldn't mind trading back, unless the scouts have some guy rated much higher than the rest, but seems like a lot of these guys are gonna be in the same ballpark rating wise. So if they trade back say like Net has us going back to 26. Who knows. You gonna be upset picking up a quality O-lineman at 26?

Right now the only guy I am hoping to get, is ward, but I am starting to see him go in the 1st round in mocks, even one where he went ahead of pryor. So I don't think he will be around at #47.
Gonna be a wide open interesting draft this year for sure.

Personally I just want to draft some more O-line somewhere in the draft. Doesn't have to be 1st round. DL is a given is gonna be drafted.

If we traded down I wouldn't complain if he is the pick.

Honestly I want the 1st 3 rounds used on defense though if I'm truly honest unless someone falls in our lap and it's a can't refuse pick

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we traded down I wouldn't complain if he is the pick.

Honestly I want the 1st 3 rounds used on defense though if I'm truly honest unless someone falls in our lap and it's a can't refuse pick

yeah I am gonna find it hard to be upset with the 1st couple rounds. Unless we pick a QB or TE or something completely off base. We can go in any direction & not screw up really. (without knowing the future)

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah I am gonna find it hard to be upset with the 1st couple rounds. Unless we pick a QB or TE or something completely off base. We can go in any direction & not screw up really. (without knowing the future)

Watch us go QB, TE, RB rounds 1 - 3:laugh.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch us go QB, TE, RB rounds 1 - 3:laugh.

Manster I am gonna need your address, so if this happens I can come over with 3000 cowboy fans & go all Eriko on your Ass :becky:

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it happens you can find me at Valley Ranch. Besides Eriko wouldn't travel.:yahoo:

Oh I'm sure he would travel ....... If he could ever figure out how to fix his Big Wheel and get mommy's permission to ride it across the street :laugh3: