• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tyron Smith

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys exercised LT Tyron Smith's team option for 2015.

Going by the 2014 transition-tag numbers, Smith will be due $10.039 million in 2015. He's making $2.079 million this season. The No. 9 overall pick of the 2011 draft, Smith has missed one game in three years, and emerged as a Pro-Bowl talent on Tony Romo's blindside. Still only 23, he'll get locked up long-term sooner rather than later.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys exercised LT Tyron Smith's team option for 2015.

Going by the 2014 transition-tag numbers, Smith will be due $10.039 million in 2015. He's making $2.079 million this season. The No. 9 overall pick of the 2011 draft, Smith has missed one game in three years, and emerged as a Pro-Bowl talent on Tony Romo's blindside. Still only 23, he'll get locked up long-term sooner rather than later.

If assume that his deal gets done right after Dez deal, and I believe Dez will get a deal by mid season. Don't think we carry TSmith at that number next season just a safeguard.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If assume that his deal gets done right after Dez deal, and I believe Dez will get a deal by mid season. Don't think we carry TSmith at that number next season just a safeguard.

Oh I do

10 million is a bargain deal for a top 5 left tackle.
When he gets a new deal ... and he will ..... He's going to make alot more than 10 million per year..... more like 15 a year.
Which he deserves.

unfortunately Dez is also going to get about 15 a year...... which he doesn't deserve

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know opinion vary on players and their value. I know that me and you Twist or polar opposites regarding Dez Bryant and his worth. I believe Dez is the most important player on this team and wold warrant what ever contract he gets. Some will argue Tyron Smith and opinions will probably be around 50/50 on the issues so it's certainly debatable. Others will even argue Romo because qb is the most important position. Romo to me is not as important as Dez imo and here's why; he's 34 yrs old and I don't expect him to be on this team past 2 more seasons. Another reason to me is Dez is far better at his position than Romo is at his own. Finally I actually expect to began to see a decline in Romo's performance conversely Dez is entering his prime. Dez is a huge risk but i'm more confident in him today than I was at this point 2 seasons ago. We need to lock Dez up, but it would be wise to have conduct provisions in his contract.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know opinion vary on players and their value. I know that me and you Twist or polar opposites regarding Dez Bryant and his worth. I believe Dez is the most important player on this team and wold warrant what ever contract he gets. Some will argue Tyron Smith and opinions will probably be around 50/50 on the issues so it's certainly debatable. Others will even argue Romo because qb is the most important position. Romo to me is not as important as Dez imo and here's why; he's 34 yrs old and I don't expect him to be on this team past 2 more seasons. Another reason to me is Dez is far better at his position than Romo is at his own. Finally I actually expect to began to see a decline in Romo's performance conversely Dez is entering his prime. Dez is a huge risk but i'm more confident in him today than I was at this point 2 seasons ago. We need to lock Dez up, but it would be wise to have conduct provisions in his contract.

Im not going to say we are polar opposites when it comes to Dez....... We don't agree though

I think Smith is the most important player we have and the absolute must keep player.

He is without question a top 5 LT ... is only 23..... and doesn't miss games or have injury issues. He's also an absolute professional on and off the field.

Personally I'd say most will say Qb and LT are the two most important positions on the field. Doubt you will find anyone that will rate a WR as the most important position.

My thing with Dez is always going to ride on how much money he wants in his new deal. If he takes less than 10 a year....... I'm all for it. If he wants top 5 receiver money (which I don't think he is top 5) Then I want him to go on down the road.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't we still have quite a bit of cap room left on this year? I hope we buy some cheap roster/depth fillers, get our draftees signed, and then use whatever room is left (minus a million to cover injury replacements) to go ahead and front load a contract for at least Tyron and maybe both he and Dez.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't we still have quite a bit of cap room left on this year? I hope we buy some cheap roster/depth fillers, get our draftees signed, and then use whatever room is left (minus a million to cover injury replacements) to go ahead and front load a contract for at least Tyron and maybe both he and Dez.

I don't think we should do that with Smith at all right now. If we do nothing he is still here for two more seasons. Why extend him today and kill our cap this year with 1/5 of the signing bonus to do it? I think Dez definitely gets extended before Smith because this is Dez's last year under contract. Smith will get his...just not yet...

I do agree with using this years savings, just that I use it for Dez, not Tyron. It's not picking Dez over Smith it's just being smart with the order we do things in.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

we have roughly 6.4 million

which is about enough to sign our draft class. And either pick up a guy after the draft or keep it in reserves in case of injuries (which is likely what we will do and should do considering the past 2 years)

There's no extra to front load ANY contracts.

In fact if Dez gets a deal this season ( mid way or however) it's going to have to be back loaded so we can get through the restructures of Romo and Carr

With the Cowboys taking the option on Smith we wont be looking to do a new deal with him until next offseason/ season That 10 million he is going to make next year will be cheaper than any year of his new deal.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some roster fillers would be nice, but I think whatever help we have coming is going to be from our 11 pick draft class. Some picks are gonna have to be need over BPA IMO. No complaints here, we had to bite the bullet at some point

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we should do that with Smith at all right now. If we do nothing he is still here for two more seasons. Why extend him today and kill our cap this year with 1/5 of the signing bonus to do it? I think Dez definitely gets extended before Smith because this is Dez's last year under contract. Smith will get his...just not yet...

I do agree with using this years savings, just that I use it for Dez, not Tyron. It's not picking Dez over Smith it's just being smart with the order we do things in.

If Dez will do a deal, then I agree. If he won't then get Tyron under contract. If we get Tyron under a contract this year, and load a chunk of money this year, it could get us significant savings next year...instead of that $10M number being the hit. Get that down to $6M and it helps a ton :)

we have roughly 6.4 million

which is about enough to sign our draft class. And either pick up a guy after the draft or keep it in reserves in case of injuries (which is likely what we will do and should do considering the past 2 years)

There's no extra to front load ANY contracts.

In fact if Dez gets a deal this season ( mid way or however) it's going to have to be back loaded so we can get through the restructures of Romo and Carr

With the Cowboys taking the option on Smith we wont be looking to do a new deal with him until next offseason/ season

That makes sense. I read someone a while ago that said when Miles comes off the books we will have about $10M in room. That could have been before some guys got signed though.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: No argument from me on Tyron at all like I said we need to keep both players its not an either or for me. It's timing we have to retain both players to me. Twist as far as what positions or most important we've already had that discussion. To the point In general I think most would agree with you. My exception is when you have an elite talent at wr like I believe he is taking that DL/OL great player isn't an etched in stone decision for me. If I know I can have a top 5-7 wr playing at a high level for a decade give me that wr. that just my opinion. Not a probowl talent but an all pro talent. I believe dez can be that guy.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dez is the 2nd best wr in the NFC 3rd at worse. If Julio is better it's like having a choice between Kim Kardashian and Megan Good. can't gone wrong with either chick or insert what ever chick floats your boat.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dez will do a deal, then I agree. If he won't then get Tyron under contract. If we get Tyron under a contract this year, and load a chunk of money this year, it could get us significant savings next year...instead of that $10M number being the hit. Get that down to $6M and it helps a ton :)

That makes sense. I read someone a while ago that said when Miles comes off the books we will have about $10M in room. That could have been before some guys got signed though.

Romo's restructure is going to hurt us next year. He cap number in 2015 is 27 million.

The money to resign Dez will come from the space we call dead money this year. ( We are paying 20 million to guys currently not on the team.)
The only dead money we will have next year is Austin. which wont be alot.
Wont get us out of cap hell either though. Dez will get around 15 a year .... so that money is already spent.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: No argument from me on Tyron at all like I said we need to keep both players its not an either or for me. It's timing we have to retain both players to me. Twist as far as what positions or most important we've already had that discussion. To the point In general I think most would agree with you. My exception is when you have an elite talent at wr like I believe he is taking that DL/OL great player isn't an etched in stone decision for me. If I know I can have a top 5-7 wr playing at a high level for a decade give me that wr. that just my opinion. Not a probowl talent but an all pro talent. I believe dez can be that guy.

He is why I disagree

Look at Detroit..... Not a playoff win with the best in the game at receiver.
Look at us with Dez not a single playoff win
ATL has two great receivers .... what have they won?
Bengals ????

now look at Seattle and San Fran...... neither has an elite receiver just SOLID receivers.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is why I disagree

Look at Detroit..... Not a playoff win with the best in the game at receiver.
Look at us with Dez not a single playoff win
ATL has two great receivers .... what have they won?
Bengals ????

now look at Seattle and San Fran...... neither has an elite receiver just SOLID receivers.

You have to take a holistic view point though. Both those teams or better than Dallas on both sides of the ball as well as ownership. SF/SEA have better OL play top to bottom, better DL play top to bottom, Better LB play better RB and better defensive backfields that's a knockout. Then look at the coaching and ownership it's no contest there either. We may be better at wr and possibly qb play but than can be argued as well.

Last year ATL had injury at both wr positions and have a mediocre coach and a mediocre defense but I'm willing to beat that they will be a playoff team next season and possibly contended in the NFC championship game. Detriot is just a better version of Dallas with worse coaching and worse ownership.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals or the Bengals and the Red Rifle is probably a top 20 qb.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to take a holistic view point though. Both those teams or better than Dallas on both sides of the ball as well as ownership. SF/SEA have better OL play top to bottom, better DL play top to bottom, Better LB play better RB and better defensive backfields that's a knockout.

But that has constantly been my point when it comes to resigning Dez.

I think we would be a much better team using that money on Linemen. Both sides of the ball.

We have sit here for a decade with a team of "superstars" being over payed. and one playoff win to show for it.
Now most of those guys are gone.

I do not want to watch us do the same shit again......

and look at it like this.

When we resign Dez and we will. Next year Dez Carr Romo and Smith alone will cost 65 million .... HALF of the entire cap ..... it's just not the smart way to build for the future

Romo 27
Carr 12.7
Smith 10
Dez 10-15
and if we keep Free.... He's getting almost 10 next year as well

Last edited by a moderator:

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tw1st3d;48196 and if we keep Free.... He's getting almost 10 next year as well[/QUOTE said:
What about the major paycut he took?

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to take a holistic view point though. Both those teams or better than Dallas on both sides of the ball as well as ownership. SF/SEA have better OL play top to bottom, better DL play top to bottom, Better LB play better RB and better defensive backfields that's a knockout. Then look at the coaching and ownership it's no contest there either. We may be better at wr and possibly qb play but than can be argued as well.

Last year ATL had injury at both wr positions and have a mediocre coach and a mediocre defense but I'm willing to beat that they will be a playoff team next season and possibly contended in the NFC championship game. Detriot is just a better version of Dallas with worse coaching and worse ownership.
think that is exactly Twists point. Seattle & SF win in the trenches. (both sides of the ball)
So if it was a choose one or the other, work on your line.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it shows we have 12.8 mil (dont know if this is updated) but heard we will spend 7 mil in the draft.