• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tyrann Mathieu Gets Paid.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cards resigned him for 5/$62.5 with $40 mil guaranteed. Considering that the Cards had little cap room left for 2016, it will be interesting to see how this was structured.

Now on to Campbell's contract. I have a feeling both Jones an Floyd will wait till after the season or late into the season to get done.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Value considering how much Mathieu is actually in the slot.

Yep. I believe he was the top rated CB last season. The Cards really play a 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 most of the time. The offense really dictates where Mathieu lines up.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the best in the league. Great deal if he stays on the field.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I'm sayin'...they must have a MASSIVE insurance policy on this kid's knees

Those are just the announced numbers. They are always inflated. I am willing to bet that much of that guaranteed money is for injury. Or guaranteed on X date at the start of the new league year. I don't think he got much of a signing bonus with there being no cap room right now.

I also wonder if this 5 years + 2016 or is 2016 included in the 5 years. He is making peanuts($1,499,593) this season.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap. Very good player and skeletons in closet seem to be staying there...but not sure this was the best negotiating AZ could do. $40M guaranteed???:noidea:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to rate this a C grade.

Mathieu is one of the best safeties in the league, but safeties aren't worth $40M+ guaranteed over 5 years. WTF are the Cards thinking? Overall the money makes sense at ~$13M/per but why the huge guaranteed amount? I think the Cards FO saw the Chiefs ridiculous spend on Fisher and figured it was just standard to throw money at players.

Regardless, Mathieu is one of the best safeties in the league, so the Cards locking him up is a solid move. Don't understand the money, but understand the player and want/need to keep him.

Last edited:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mathieu is one of the best safeties in the league, but safeties aren't worth $40M+ guaranteed over 5 years. WTF are the Cards thinking? Overall the money makes sense at ~$13M/per but why the huge guaranteed amount? I think the Cards FO saw the Chiefs ridiculous spend on Fisher and figured it was just standard to throw money at players.
  1. Mathieu is simultaneously the best slot CB and safety in the NFL when he's on the field.
  2. He's in the slot over 60% of the time
  3. The guaranteed is related almost certainly to 1 and 2 being in concert with each other- there is not a comparable "safety" that can do what Mathieu does. If anyone is one dimensional, it's Earl Thomas who plays more deep safety than any of the recent safeties to get a payday. Beating Earl's contract by ~1M AAV roughly when adjusting for the rise in the cap is more than reasonable.
  4. Eric Fisher is a LT, even guys coming off of mediocre and injury prone resumes get over 10M AAV's like candy, such as Russell Okung. The vague comparison to a S/NCB is just apples and oranges.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Regardless, Mathieu is one of the best safeties in the league, so the Cards locking him up is a solid move. Don't understand the money, but understand the player and want/need to keep him.

I will give it a B. Obviously great player that when healthy is one of the most dangerous weapons on the defensive side of the ball in the NFL. The injury history and off the field history though have to be a huge worry. I know he has been clean so far but you always worry something triggers that past behavior again. Throw in he plays a very physical position at a smaller size so injuries already piling up I wonder if he can actually stay healthy consistently.

I agree I don't think they needed to completely rewrite the guaranteed side of things when it came to the Safety position. Highest before this being $28 million heck just a jump to $30 million would have been fine but man this blew the entire market out of the water. Big risk but obviously big reward for a player of his caliber.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol @ "C" grade

Mathieu played 61% of his snaps at CB. And was rated the #1 CB last year. And that $40 mil is not straight-up guaranteed. Some of the "guarantee" will be for injury, some will be guaranteed after playing X amount of games, & some will be X amount guaranteed on day X of the new league year each season.

"Guaranteed" in the NFL doesn't mean what the definition of that word implies.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Mathieu is simultaneously the best slot CB and safety in the NFL when he's on the field.
  3. The guaranteed is related almost certainly to 1 and 2 being in concert with each other- there is not a comparable "safety" that can do what Mathieu does. If anyone is one dimensional, it's Earl Thomas who plays more deep safety than any of the recent safeties to get a payday. Beating Earl's contract by ~1M AAV roughly when adjusting for the rise in the cap is more than reasonable.
  4. Eric Fisher is a LT, even guys coming off of mediocre and injury prone resumes get over 10M AAV's like candy, such as Russell Okung. The vague comparison to a S/NCB is just apples and oranges.

I'm not sure I would keep using Okung to show that kind of money. Yes he signed a 5-year deal with the Broncos but in reality it is a 1-year deal for $5 million with an option by the Broncos if they want to sign him after this season. So until they sign him for that 4-year extension I would say right now is value is only $5 million per year at this point.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, top of the market for a CB is $15+ mil, top for a S is $10+ mil. They split the difference.

People forget that Mathieu is only 24 years old, so this contract will play out through his prime years.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I would keep using Okung to show that kind of money. Yes he signed a 5-year deal with the Broncos but in reality it is a 1-year deal for $5 million with an option by the Broncos if they want to sign him after this season. So until they sign him for that 4-year extension I would say right now is value is only $5 million per year at this point.
To be quite frank, with the lack of compelling LT prospects at the end of the 1st round, I'd find it to be very unsurprising to see that option get picked up unless a prospect steps up. And the AAV isn't entirely irrelevant I don't think, but the odd language does make it an awkward one.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, top of the market for a CB is $15+ mil, top for a S is $10+ mil. They split the difference.

People forget that Mathieu is only 24 years old, so this contract will play out through his prime years.
Yep- if there was less guaranteed, that AAV goes up and that's a headache if you're trying to win now with Palmer along with upcoming contracts for Campbell's and Jones' contracts.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he stays healthy, this is a great contract. The Cardinals have been aggressive for a few years now and they show no signs of letting up. They appear comfortable banking on Honey Badger to stay healthy. I'm a bit more concerned myself...but they should know more than me.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be quite frank, with the lack of compelling LT prospects at the end of the 1st round, I'd find it to be very unsurprising to see that option get picked up unless a prospect steps up. And the AAV isn't entirely irrelevant I don't think, but the odd language does make it an awkward one.

Somewhat true. If he stays healthy and plays well I would be shocked if they didn't keep him but he does have an injury history and some history of down times so just going to have to wait and see what happens. They have the cap space so if he is even above average I wouldn't be shocked if they kept him. I do think they are hoping that they can actually develop the talent of Stephenson and eventually have him be our LT since he is cheaper and doesn't have the injury history. So far reports from camp have been promising for Stephenson. I know most Chiefs fans were excited to see him go but I do think he is a guy that has all the talent needed just needs to know how to use that great athleticism to his advantage.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hard to argue with any of that. Mathieu is a great player. Still think the Cards could've gotten him cheaper. Can't hand out an A grade for that, but a C isn't bad. Just an average signing. "Good job, you signed an elite guy you wanted for a bit of overpriced salary. Done and done."