• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Two Months of Joy - wiped out by a few hours of rage

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I had 2 months of the most hockey fun I have ever had. I have seen soo many highs and lows in this playoff run that I think I may have lived a lifetime of hockey. My emotions ran in so many ways, anger, bitterness, joy, elation, sadness, disappointment, hate, love, ecstasy, happiness. but what will stay with me for this whole run is the riots, the violence and the rage.

In 1994 I lived in Calgary so I did not experience the riots live, I was even working graveyard so I did not know about them until the next day. I was in the heart of this as it started. You could see the rage boil and the emotion spill over. It all started with one fat fuck that I saw flip over anything in his path. he literally was a one man wrecking crew that just destroyed any smaller object that he could. my brother and I saw this and turned around and headed a different direction we were going catch the sky train but the line looked like it was at least 2 hours long so we decided to head more outer city towards the sea bus and another sky train station. again another hour line up. Cabs were like animals in the calm before the storm. All gone out of the city. a 4 hour delay for those. so we hunkered down in a restaurant (one that would let us after ensuring we were not very drunk - in fact I hadn't one drink during the game) and had dinner.

Then the reports started coming in to our smart phones. Thats the thing with todays technology not like in 1994 where you relied on TV and Newspaper and Radio you have it at your finger tips

- Cars overturning
- Cars on fire
- People fighting
- Knife Fights
- Looting
- People being pushed off bridges onto the ticket booth at Rogers Arena
- Police engaging with People in violence

My brother and I quickly surveyed the surrounding area to make sure that one we had an escape route should it come our way or that we could barricade safely in case it really got out of control. We saw a young Man in a Boston shirt with his 6 year old Son in a Boston jersey we both said that should the thunder come we would rally around that man and his son. Thankfully it did not. It stayed inner city. We waited another 45 minutes and the Skytrain finally was running smooth and we got out of downtown.

What did I see? Smoke billowing from my beautiful city. The city that peacefully hosted the 2010 Winter Olympic Games, that is known for its kindness, its mountains, its water was on fire. Literally on fire. For what? For a game. A hockey game.

in 1994 I blamed it on some stupid people. in 2011 I still blame it on some stupid people. I only ask you one thing. Please do not judge Vancouver or its people on last night or 1994. If you watch closely on some of the more shocking incidents you will see that some people are hooded and cloaked. That Molotov cocktails were used. What hockey fan would have the time or even the thought to have those prepared? We had roving bands of "Chaos" members during the Olympics they were protestors using it as an excuse and they did do the same here. So please please dont judge what this city or its people are. Because we are certainly not. We are the Puckheads of the world, the Dash (even if he is in Victoria), Moogers (Victoria), Nazzyfans, Curtains etc... We have our differences for sure. But we are not that. No way.

Are Canuck Fans partly responsible? Oh yes of course. Its everywhere in pictures and video on cellphones and camera. Its in my mind.

We just lost the Stanley Cup. To the better team. Am I proud of my Team? Yes of course? I am disappointed that they fell apart in 4 of the last 5 games of the series, incredibly.

Congrats and remember my friends. This was not Vancouver.

Please vist sometime.

GO CANUCKS GO.......

Last edited by a moderator:

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunatelty this probably would have happened if they won too. Truly sad.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be visiting and definitely hitting you up brother. If not next season then definitely the next. You guys are awesome.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing you guys is all the image for Vancouver I need :)

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very glad to hear that you and your brother got out of the city safely Matt. I know it's a broken record but it is such a shame a few assholes can ruin it for everybody.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post, matt...We cheer for different teams and we take occassional digs at each other from time-to-time, but it's just friendly ribbing and hopefully no offense is taken.

After the game, I walked to my workplace in Burnaby as I had to complete a task for today and I saw two young kids with Canucks shirts playing hockey with a tennis ball in the driveway. That cheered me up quite a bit after watching some of the display in downtown Vancouver last night.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great post matt. keep your chin up nucks fans. your team had a great run and the experience will pay dividends in the future.

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great post Matt. It is truly sad that there are those few out there who will use any excuse for bad (even evil) behavior and draw the masses in with their thuggery.

I would much prefer to remember the intelligent Canucks fans in Rogers Center who stood and cheered for Tim Thomas as he was presented the Conn Smythe because they knew it was deserving and that they had witnessed an historic performance. I don't know if you guys noticed but unlike the NBA finals, the fans didn't leave the arena before the game was even over. Almost all of stayed for the presentation (maybe in part to get a shot at booing that weasel Bettman, lol) and applauded the Bruins and saluted our guys for a great, if not disappointing run.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We saw a young Man in a Boston shirt with his 6 year old Son in a Boston jersey we both said that should the thunder come we would rally around that man and his son. Thankfully it did not.

Good job. I am sure they would have felt great to know they could trust somebody.

:thumb:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly do not hold it against the city, all it takes is a few idiots and it happens. I do not understand the logic behind 'we won so lets destroy stuff' or 'we lost so lets destroy stuff' but it happens all over.

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great post mat and you should be proud of your team ..they did good .. there were 28 other teams sittin at home watching the stanley cup .. and congrats to boston also

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I personally will hold this against Vancouver forever. I now have no desire to visit their gorgeous city or ski at the best ski resort in North America despite years of coveting it. I have no desire to see the fabled Olympic sites. And I will rush to a snap judgment on more than a million people based on the antics of a few hundred in the wake of what must have been the most crushing sports moments the city has seen in decades and reflected decades of frustration that I, as a Capitals' fan, simply cannot relate to. I will overlook the involvement of a sketchy protest group and simply impune the motivations, actions, and apathy of thousands of people. I cannot understand why people attending the game would not jump into the middle of a scene with fires a-blazing and bricks a-hurling and put their lives and that of their children at risk to declare... "Hey! We are Canadians. We are better than this, eh?" In short, all of the observations of those of Vancouver (and Canada in general) from my entire lifetime and my fondness for the Canucks' posters on these boards were wiped out in a few quick moments as the nefarious character of an entire fan base, nay, city, was revealed.

Vancouver - you disgust me!

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gallery_shocking_scenes_from_the_vancouver_game_riots.jpg

First of all what is Mike Ribiero doing there? I am not surprised he is involved in this. Second, nice purse buddy.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO! This guy commits a crime, could very well be charged for it because of photos he is in and what does he steal? A fucking purse. LOL

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
shit Matty - i thought you made it out in the first wave of people after the game.
kind of forgot that in addition to the 20k at the game, there was 100k+ watching outdoors.
I guess THAT will never happen again.

where were you bunkered down?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have things finally calmed down? or is the city still a mess?

CanadianWalrus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i'll say it again, i have never been so proud of my generation and my country. i hope stephen harper and our goldman sachs affiliated central banker marc carney that helped purposley engineer a canadian housing bubble are watching closely. Canadians are going to need to get as rowdy as possible when they are asked to bail out the CHMC which insured every mortgage in the country with less than 20% down on the taxpayers dime.

this was just a warmup like the g20

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shit Matty - i thought you made it out in the first wave of people after the game.
kind of forgot that in addition to the 20k at the game, there was 100k+ watching outdoors.
I guess THAT will never happen again.

where were you bunkered down?

also did you take Skytrain home mattola?

a friend of mine ended up taking the canada line to get to white rock because the expo line was a gong show ... people pissing in the trains

FUCKIN SURREY!

Attachments

• surrey.jpg
    surrey.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 18