• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Two Months of Joy - wiped out by a few hours of rage

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a cop who killed an unarmed man here in Oakland had his trial last year, people from all over came to Oakland specifically to riot. They knew that no matter what, there would be a riot in the streets when the verdict was announced. It was some legitimate people who were angry and a lot of non locals with a taste for violence and theft. It's a shame that they practiced their anarchy in a city they don't even live in and ruined it for the actual citizens...

Jimmy_the_Tongue

Walks Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Classy OP.... That being said, I could never understand why people loot their own neighborhoods... I remember people from south central LA, during the Rodney King riots, saying "Why are we burning down our own supermarkets, liqour stores, etc..." why not go to where the "enemy" lives and riot there? It's just a sad state of affairs no matter how you look at it...

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Classy OP.... That being said, I could never understand why people loot their own neighborhoods... I remember people from south central LA, during the Rodney King riots, saying "Why are we burning down our own supermarkets, liqour stores, etc..." why not go to where the "enemy" lives and riot there? It's just a sad state of affairs no matter how you look at it...

Cause it all boils down to the fact that people are assholes and are prone to a group mentality. If people start going crazy and looting, others join in because it's a chance to act out and get free shit while thinking you won't be caught because of all the chaos.

Even the most civilized person will suddenly trample over a small child, or destroy property in a situation like that. The worst are the people who just stand around and watch.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just look at people during the Holiday Season when they are going for the "must have" toy of the year. They freaking go crazy over something that they could buy with no problem in a couple of more weeks.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I had 2 months of the most hockey fun I have ever had. I have seen soo many highs and lows in this playoff run that I think I may have lived a lifetime of hockey. My emotions ran in so many ways, anger, bitterness, joy, elation, sadness, disappointment, hate, love, ecstasy, happiness. but what will stay with me for this whole run is the riots, the violence and the rage.

In 1994 I lived in Calgary so I did not experience the riots live, I was even working graveyard so I did not know about them until the next day. I was in the heart of this as it started. You could see the rage boil and the emotion spill over. It all started with one fat fuck that I saw flip over anything in his path. he literally was a one man wrecking crew that just destroyed any smaller object that he could. my brother and I saw this and turned around and headed a different direction we were going catch the sky train but the line looked like it was at least 2 hours long so we decided to head more outer city towards the sea bus and another sky train station. again another hour line up. Cabs were like animals in the calm before the storm. All gone out of the city. a 4 hour delay for those. so we hunkered down in a restaurant (one that would let us after ensuring we were not very drunk - in fact I hadn't one drink during the game) and had dinner.

Then the reports started coming in to our smart phones. Thats the thing with todays technology not like in 1994 where you relied on TV and Newspaper and Radio you have it at your finger tips

- Cars overturning
- Cars on fire
- People fighting
- Knife Fights
- Looting
- People being pushed off bridges onto the ticket booth at Rogers Arena
- Police engaging with People in violence

My brother and I quickly surveyed the surrounding area to make sure that one we had an escape route should it come our way or that we could barricade safely in case it really got out of control. We saw a young Man in a Boston shirt with his 6 year old Son in a Boston jersey we both said that should the thunder come we would rally around that man and his son. Thankfully it did not. It stayed inner city. We waited another 45 minutes and the Skytrain finally was running smooth and we got out of downtown.

What did I see? Smoke billowing from my beautiful city. The city that peacefully hosted the 2010 Winter Olympic Games, that is known for its kindness, its mountains, its water was on fire. Literally on fire. For what? For a game. A hockey game.

in 1994 I blamed it on some stupid people. in 2011 I still blame it on some stupid people. I only ask you one thing. Please do not judge Vancouver or its people on last night or 1994. If you watch closely on some of the more shocking incidents you will see that some people are hooded and cloaked. That Molotov cocktails were used. What hockey fan would have the time or even the thought to have those prepared? We had roving bands of "Chaos" members during the Olympics they were protestors using it as an excuse and they did do the same here. So please please dont judge what this city or its people are. Because we are certainly not. We are the Puckheads of the world, the Dash (even if he is in Victoria), Moogers (Victoria), Nazzyfans, Curtains etc... We have our differences for sure. But we are not that. No way.

Are Canuck Fans partly responsible? Oh yes of course. Its everywhere in pictures and video on cellphones and camera. Its in my mind.

We just lost the Stanley Cup. To the better team. Am I proud of my Team? Yes of course? I am disappointed that they fell apart in 4 of the last 5 games of the series, incredibly.

Congrats and remember my friends. This was not Vancouver.

Please vist sometime.

GO CANUCKS GO.......

I guess I'm just really disappointed because everyone always says BC bud is the best, but if that was true everyone would have been too mellowed out to trash the place.

Ah, just bustin your balls. I would love to come visit someday, it looks like an incredible world class city. If I come, I want the grand tour!

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm just really disappointed because everyone always says BC bud is the best, but if that was true everyone would have been too mellowed out to trash the place.

Ah, just bustin your balls. I would love to come visit someday, it looks like an incredible world class city. If I come, I want the grand tour!

The hell with the tour, I want the BC bud!! :pound:

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nw-bc-riot-numbers_1287877a.jpg

Curtrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

One reason why I am confused on how we, as a society, accept booze as much as we do. If you want to keep weed illegal, than booze should be considered an illegal drug as well. Persoanlly I do not think either should be illegal. I would rather teach our kids moderation and to be responsible in their substance abuse :P

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point 9 above mentioned the possibility of releasing the dogs...What about the bees?

Or the dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark they shoot bees at you?

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One reason why I am confused on how we, as a society, accept booze as much as we do. If you want to keep weed illegal, than booze should be considered an illegal drug as well. Persoanlly I do not think either should be illegal. I would rather teach our kids moderation and to be responsible in their substance abuse :P

I used to drink a shitload and smoke a ton of dope. Now, I don't really touch either (maybe once a year?). But yeah, how the hell is alcohol legal and weed a crime? Does anyone toke up at a sporting event and then spit on a kid because he's got another team's jersey on? Does anyone blaze up the chron and then try to pick a fight with everyone they meet? Fuck no, it's a peaceful drug and comparatively healthy and safe when put up against all the health problems that alcohol can cause.

It's a pretty huge hypocrisy.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point 9 above mentioned the possibility of releasing the dogs...What about the bees?

Or the dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark they shoot bees at you?

Old school Simpsons was the greatest.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matty, all our nucks fans... real glad you guys are safe. You're all class acts and last night was just pathetic what happened. it seems most of the attempts to downplay it I'm hearing are basically futile, this was a mass riot and there is no reasonable way to deny it, but I view it as the behavior of morons, not true nucks fans. Again, I'm just glad those here who attended last night got out safe. Looking at the photos you think Vancouver was suddenly transplanted w a large population of sunnis and shiites

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I personally will hold this against Vancouver forever. I now have no desire to visit their gorgeous city or ski at the best ski resort in North America despite years of coveting it. I have no desire to see the fabled Olympic sites. And I will rush to a snap judgment on more than a million people based on the antics of a few hundred in the wake of what must have been the most crushing sports moments the city has seen in decades and reflected decades of frustration that I, as a Capitals' fan, simply cannot relate to. I will overlook the involvement of a sketchy protest group and simply impune the motivations, actions, and apathy of thousands of people. I cannot understand why people attending the game would not jump into the middle of a scene with fires a-blazing and bricks a-hurling and put their lives and that of their children at risk to declare... "Hey! We are Canadians. We are better than this, eh?" In short, all of the observations of those of Vancouver (and Canada in general) from my entire lifetime and my fondness for the Canucks' posters on these boards were wiped out in a few quick moments as the nefarious character of an entire fan base, nay, city, was revealed.

Vancouver - you disgust me!

You are entitled to your opinion,however I do have to comment on it.

I would never let the antics of some crazed overboozed assholes let me group a fanbase,city or country,and judge them all,as you are doing.

What in the fuck did the Canucks posters here have to with anything?From what I,ve read here,most said ,that those involved were classless assholes.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
You are entitled to your opinion,however I do have to comment on it.

I would never let the antics of some crazed overboozed assholes let me group a fanbase,city or country,and judge them all,as you are doing.

What in the fuck did the Canucks posters here have to with anything?From what I,ve read here,most said ,that those involved were classless assholes.

your sarcasm meter is broken.
his post was in jest.

in keeping with the thread:

sarcasm_detector.jpg