• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Twins Off Season Commentary

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm in favor of a rebuild. All the money that was thrown at a handful of players never paid dividends. As I have said many times, these guys have proven they arent the ones to get it done, so lets just reload and give it another go with some younger guys. Use the money that gets freed up to go after some decent young talent. My only problem there is that I dont trust Billy to land the right guys and I dont have faith that Gardenhire can make them winners, regardless. But I know what we have right now wont be the ticket to a championship.

Kubel's bat is fairly valuable, as might Cuddyer's be. Its a matter of how much they will be wanting to remain on the team. If the price is too high, go young and lets just understand that that is they way of it for now. I liked alot of the flashes we saw this season from some of those that got called up. Just a matter of can they maintain it throughout a long season. There is hope there, though.

You are correct Sandy, Glenn Perkins is not the closing answer for this team. Even if we went younger, I wouldnt want this guy closing games. Start losing close ones and morale will take a header. Best to leave Perk in the 7th and 8th and go after a real life closer to be. Yes, I know Nathan was a middle reliever when we grabbed him up, but that was a one in a million conversion. Nathan's attitude and Perkins's attitude are not similar. Use some free money to get a reliable guy not named Matt Capps.

But I agree with you, rebuild or don't rebuild. But don't straddle the fence. That's a waste of time and money.

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Via MLB Trade Rumors:

Jeff Gray, 29, spent the 2011 season with the Mariners and White Sox. He posted a 4.28 ERA with 4.3 K/9 and 3.9 BB/9 in 48 1/3 innings of relief.

Matt Maloney spent most of the season at Triple-A, where he posted a 2.99 ERA, 5.6 K/9, 1.2 BB/9, and 0.9 HR/9 in 81 1/3 innings, missing much of the season with a cracked rib. Baseball America ranked him eighth among Reds prospects a few years ago, noting that his ceiling was that of a back-of-the-rotation starter.

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While nobody can be sure how Perk would respond to the closer role he is probably at least worth a look. With the uncertainty of where Nathan may land he might be the next most reliable arm in the pen. Last season he was usually good to put a few down in an inning.

buckamania

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PC - No doubt about it. The way things look now the Twins are in no position to dismiss anyone as a pitcher. I'm not sold on Perkins but I understand your take on this and sincerely hope you are right. Pitching is in a shambles on the Twins.Lets' not forget what a pancake Slowey became last year also. He was counted on as a starter and he went to pieces instead. How about Liriano? Is he done? I'm never sure who we will see when he takes the mound.

The Twins are like a house that got hit by a tornado. Everything was reduced to rubble in a short period by something no one saw coming or could plan for. Rebuilding may take years unless Mauer & Morneau ride to the rescue. Good luck on that idea.

buckamania

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PC - Off the Twins for a second, what's the rumor I heard that the Viking's stadium-deal is dead and that the Vikes are open to moving? Anyone else please advise too. Thanks!

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PC - Off the Twins for a second, what's the rumor I heard that the Viking's stadium-deal is dead and that the Vikes are open to moving? Anyone else please advise too. Thanks!

I have not been following it too closely but I have heard many different things back and forth over the past year or so. I hope they can work something out because all hell will break lose if the Vikes ship out.

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No one saw this coming, Buck? I have been pointing these very shortcomings out for 3 years now. The signs were there to anyone willing to see with their eyes and not their heart. Things just werent that good, and we did seem to always be in the right place at the right time to avoid paying the bill. No more. Tax man is knocking.

Mr.Potatohead

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
me too. but i'm even smarter than you. i predicted the tigers would win the division, the yankees would lose to them . the rangers would beat the tigers and the cardenals would beat the rangers. i said this 4 yrs ago. so im smarter than you.

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have been saying we had these weakness's for a long time. Its why you guys hate me now and refuse to even engage me in conversation. Its ok though. I dont need your acceptance to validate my opinion. It is interesting that you are all now starting to see what I saw years ago. My complaints (that seem to rub you all wrong)- had management been on the ball - could have been addressed in some manner to avoid this situation. As Buck has stated, if this were George's team, those moves would have already happened. He would have made it clear its was just good business. We dont do that in Minnesota, so now we are stuck with a mess. My PoV is to just get it over with now and rebuild. I'm sure some of you think we can still compete, but I dont see it being worth the cost in time or money to pretend. Sorry if that bothers you guys.

Mr. Potatohead (Bump) Dont start on me bro. If you have nothing to add, then dont. You guys have your own thread and I never post on it. Hell, I dont even log in and read it. So say what you want about me there, I dont care. But this post was started by someone who had some valid points and asked for other fans views on the Minnesota Twins and their future moves. Like yourselves, I have ideas, and the right to present them. So I have and I've been polite about it. Make sure you're polite as well.

SandyBeach26

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Via MLB Trade Rumors:

Jeff Gray, 29, spent the 2011 season with the Mariners and White Sox. He posted a 4.28 ERA with 4.3 K/9 and 3.9 BB/9 in 48 1/3 innings of relief.

Matt Maloney spent most of the season at Triple-A, where he posted a 2.99 ERA, 5.6 K/9, 1.2 BB/9, and 0.9 HR/9 in 81 1/3 innings, missing much of the season with a cracked rib. Baseball America ranked him eighth among Reds prospects a few years ago, noting that his ceiling was that of a back-of-the-rotation starter.

Evening fans...

Well, while not spectacular moves by any stretch of the imagination, I suppose waiver claims to get as many bodies as possible can't hurt. And let's not forget the two guys Minnesota got for Young in 2011. Nelson (Single A) and Oliveros (AAA-MLB).

Again, those weren't spectacular either (though I hear Nelson has good potential....though he won't be much help in 2012), but you just never know with relievers. They could come out of NOWHERE and surprise people.

Personally, I am very interested in seeing how the Cuddyer/Kubel/Nathan FA status plays out. I know they are officially out in the market, but I wonder how strong a push the Twins will make to try to resign them.

Between watching this and my hometown Tampa Bay Rays decisions regarding their pitching staff (they currently have SEVEN MLB ready starters!!) and shoring up their hitting, the off season should be pretty interesting for me.

As for the off topic Vikings thing:
My husband is NONE TOO HAPPY about it. He is Minneapolis born n raised, and he suffered through the loss of the North Stars (he has been tepid on hockey ever since), and if he were to lose the Vikings as well, chances are he would become a full blown Tampa Bay Buccaneer fan, as the disgust with Vikings move would be too much.

So how has everyone been lately?

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Sandy. Doing alright here. Not too much excitement going on yet. I'm looking forward to the hot stove heating up as we get into the winter. It's one of the few things that keep me entertained during that time since winter sports don't do much for me.

What says you buck? What's up Mr. Potato?

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Twins like old players who are possibly near exiting their prime. Think they will make a move for J Rollins if he doesn't settle up with the Phils again? I'd say probably not but I woulnd't mind having him at SS for the Twinks. :noidea:

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:nod: Yep, you caught me. My difference of opinion is so inflamitory. I wonder why you guys have such an issue with it, since none of it is an attack on you personally. If you go back and read the posts made here, the only ones making personal attacks and being a--holes are you (Bump) and Buck. Well, I think it shows your true character to all who read what you say. I dont need to harp on it.

But I truly do wish there were more Twins fans on this site. I am sure if there were, there would be more folks who agree with me and my PoV's and I wouldnt be singled out so abusively. There were quite a few of them on the other site, so I know I am not alone. But its all good. I'm a big boy. I can stand alone, if need be :thumb: I can hold my own in any discussion concerning the Twins. I enjoy it - even when you dont agree with me.

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PC - No doubt about it. The way things look now the Twins are in no position to dismiss anyone as a pitcher. I'm not sold on Perkins but I understand your take on this and sincerely hope you are right. Pitching is in a shambles on the Twins.Lets' not forget what a pancake Slowey became last year also. He was counted on as a starter and he went to pieces instead. How about Liriano? Is he done? I'm never sure who we will see when he takes the mound.

The Twins are like a house that got hit by a tornado. Everything was reduced to rubble in a short period by something no one saw coming or could plan for. Rebuilding may take years unless Mauer & Morneau ride to the rescue. Good luck on that idea.

I feel ya on that buck and agree but with the way he pitched last season it is not hard to see why his name is thrown out in the conversation. I seem to remember him pulling off a couple saves this past season and looking pretty good in doing so. Whether or not he can carry that torch an entire season is up for debate. It sounds like Nathan wants to close for sure and seems to be willing to return if things go right. All I know is he is not getting any younger and wants to play on a team that wins and is a contender and the last few seasons have been a bit of a dissapointment for the Twins. :frown:

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lets hope Nathan re-signs so we dont have to experience a Perkins for closer situation. In just a couple years on the team, he has done a whole lot of whining. Not sure thats closer mentality. Gotta be a tough nut to be a quality closer..

buckamania

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PC - Hey buddy! I've been away a few days fishing out in the Gulf of Mexico and I'm dog-a_s tired but I read that link you posted on Morneau. It says what so many of us have all along, the guy got his bell rung real good and his career is probably over because of it. The same thing happened to Troy Aikman and Cory Koskie. All of this is really too bad, because he (Morneau) flashed some awesome talent at times, and (you know where I'm going with this one) his salary will kill the Twins for years to come.

Have you noticed that that little turd from Fox is here now and it looks like one of his playmates is with him. The ignore button is so nice!

P/S - Beach - No offense intended but I'm too tired to reply to your always fun posts. I'll catch up with you later today, maybe.

Seeya!

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PC - Hey buddy! I've been away a few days fishing out in the Gulf of Mexico and I'm dog-a_s tired but I read that link you posted on Morneau. It says what so many of us have all along, the guy got his bell rung real good and his career is probably over because of it. The same thing happened to Troy Aikman and Cory Koskie. All of this is really too bad, because he (Morneau) flashed some awesome talent at times, and (you know where I'm going with this one) his salary will kill the Twins for years to come.

Have you noticed that that little turd from Fox is here now and it looks like one of his playmates is with him. The ignore button is so nice!
P/S - Beach - No offense intended but I'm too tired to reply to your always fun posts. I'll catch up with you later today, maybe.

Seeya!

Agreed!

Hauvster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed. Morneau's career is over. Save the money and move on. 14mill can go along way towards a replacement. Or if you keep Cuddyer, then put it on an ace.