• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Twins at White Sox

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Twins pitcher man…I shall dub him “The Badonkadonk.”

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah man. Even Badonkadonk thought that was out…

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Popular or unpopular opinion: Booing pickoff attempts is a tradition that should end.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Popular or unpopular opinion: Booing pickoff attempts is a tradition that should end.
I've always hated both booing the pickup attempt and booing a hit by pitch when it clearly wasn't the intention. It can be a big spot and a HBP helps the home team late in a game. Pitcher accidentally plunks a hitter with a 78 MPH curve ball with an 0-2 count to load the bases and instead of cheering the crowd goes "BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"... uh... what?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, it just wasn't our night. Got outpitched and outplayed. With the Twins struggling as they've been, I really felt we should have taken at least 3 out of 4. Guess a split will have to suffice. Tribe won, so we're back to 8.5 up.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's stupid.... The more the pitcher throws over there - the better the chance for a blown pitch or a throwing error. That's like a Cubs fan kind of deal.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's stupid.... The more the pitcher throws over there - the better the chance for a blown pitch or a throwing error. That's like a Cubs fan kind of deal.

Dude...Buehrle was a f*cking champ at pickoffs.

F*ck I miss him.

But yes, every time the crowd boos after a pickoff...I just sit there silently and think "But why?"

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But yes, every time the crowd boos after a pickoff...I just sit there silently and think "But why?"
seriously? because people are stupid! they're thinking "oh man, they're trying to hurt us. trying to pick our guy off. boo that!"

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude...Buehrle was a f*cking champ at pickoffs.

F*ck I miss him.

You know Buehrle was good enough on the pickoff that he didn't waste any attempt - he was always gauging something. I miss him too - one of my few favorite White Sox pitchers of all time - with Gary Peters and Wilbur Woods.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know Buehrle was good enough on the pickoff that he didn't waste any attempt - he was always gauging something. I miss him too - one of my few favorite White Sox pitchers of all time - with Gary Peters and Wilbur Woods.
I liked BlackJack too.

My dad became a Sox fan because of Early Wynn, and also to be different from all his buddies (he was on the north side of the city surrounded by Cubs fans)

Buehrle was so good at all the peripheral stuff besides pitching. Great fielder, great pickoff move, worked fast. He really belongs in the HOF.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked BlackJack too.

My dad became a Sox fan because of Early Wynn, and also to be different from all his buddies (he was on the north side of the city surrounded by Cubs fans)

Buehrle was so good at all the peripheral stuff besides pitching. Great fielder, great pickoff move, worked fast. He really belongs in the HOF.
I saw Early Winn get his 300th win on TV

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked BlackJack too.

Buehrle was a household name and a White Sox legend. However, he is not a hall of fame pitcher. Much like Paul Konerko - he is just fine where he is. In the "Hall of Very Good".

The body of work is long and consistently "good". However, he received Cy Young votes in only one season and never a single 1st place vote. He was never among the league's elite or anywhere near the conversation for being the best. Buehrle also never really even had a "dominant" season as he never posted an ERA below 3. Just a damn good pitcher, who had a damn fine career.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buehrle was a household name and a White Sox legend. However, he is not a hall of fame pitcher. Much like Paul Konerko - he is just fine where he is. In the "Hall of Very Good".

The body of work is long and consistently "good". However, he received Cy Young votes in only one season and never a single 1st place vote. He was never among the league's elite or anywhere near the conversation for being the best. Buehrle also never really even had a "dominant" season as he never posted an ERA below 3. Just a damn good pitcher, who had a damn fine career.
Yeah you're probably right. Better than HOFer Don Sutton though :D

Looking at both of them on BBREF, they both averaged 14-11 win/loss for their career. Buehrle had a career ERA+ of 117, to Sutton's 108. But Sutton pitched a lot longer and got well over 300 wins so there you have it. In 7 more years of pitching, Sutton only had 6 more career WAR.

Buehrle's last season in Toronto was pretty strong (2015), wonder why he quit...

Last edited:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you're probably right. Better than HOFer Don Sutton though :D

Looking at both of them on BBREF, they both averaged 14-11 win/loss for their career. Buehrle had a career ERA+ of 117, to Sutton's 108. But Sutton pitched a lot longer and got well over 300 wins so there you have it. In 7 more years of pitching, Sutton only had 6 more career WAR.

Buehrle's last season in Toronto was pretty strong (2015), wonder why he quit...
Well, I get what you're saying. However, if you look, Sutton's prime was noticeably more dominant than Buehrle's. Led the league in WHIP 4x, won an ERA title, led in K/BB ratio multiple times, contended for a Cy Young multiple times.

And fair or not (I subscribe to the modern notion that wins are a very peripheral stat for an individual pitcher)... 324 wins is usually a surefire HOF'er. Especially in an era where wins were much more highly valued.

And yeah, I remember thinking he would pitch forever. His last season in Toronto started strong. I think he won his first 8 starts with a sub 2 ERA or something crazy like that. Things kind of caught up with him in the 2nd half of that year. He could have kept going, but he probably just felt it was time. He got his 200th win. No contender would have likely wanted him in their rotation for a shot at a 2nd ring. Just... nothing left to prove and a family at home. I think.

Bearsfan81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I get what you're saying. However, if you look, Sutton's prime was noticeably more dominant than Buehrle's. Led the league in WHIP 4x, won an ERA title, led in K/BB ratio multiple times, contended for a Cy Young multiple times.

And fair or not (I subscribe to the modern notion that wins are a very peripheral stat for an individual pitcher)... 324 wins is usually a surefire HOF'er. Especially in an era where wins were much more highly valued.

And yeah, I remember thinking he would pitch forever. His last season in Toronto started strong. I think he won his first 8 starts with a sub 2 ERA or something crazy like that. Things kind of caught up with him in the 2nd half of that year. He could have kept going, but he probably just felt it was time. He got his 200th win. No contender would have likely wanted him in their rotation for a shot at a 2nd ring. Just... nothing left to prove and a family at home. I think.

IIRC the Blue Jays made the playoffs that year and he was left off the roster due to his recent struggles. I bet that was a factor in his decision to quit as well.