• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Tigers at White Sox

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a Thursday off day, the Sox regular season concludes with a 3 game series against Detroit. Here are the pitching matchups:

Lynn vs Peralta
Giolito vs Manning
Cease vs Alexander

There's no doubt with Lynn and Giolito going these first two games, they will likewise be going 1-2 in the Houston series. What might remain up in the air is if Cease will be the Game 3 starter or if Rodon checks out 100% healthy after his 5 inning/69 pitch outing tonite, does he get the call instead.

In any event, I don't see any of these pitchers out there all that long. 5 innings max, but more likely a set pitch count.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was nice to see Luis Robert steal a base - which I don't believe he has tried since his return. The stolen base lead to an insurance run.

Rodon's velocity is down, but he still knew how to pitch - paired with Kopech as the reliever would seem to work well - with the pace Kopech can deliver and being a righty to Rodon's lefty.

In the 9 games where - Robert, Abreu, Grandal, Moncada, Anderson and Jimenez all played in the lineup - the Sox are 7-2.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that the Tigers are on the threshold of a young playoff team, but the elements are in place for the Tigers and White Sox to have a lively rivalry in the coming years. I hope the Sox don't get baited into more on-field confrontations that could distract them going into the playoffs.

I'm looking forward to watching the core White Sox players together for the 10-12 games of the season.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that the Tigers are on the threshold of a young playoff team, but the elements are in place for the Tigers and White Sox to have a lively rivalry in the coming years. I hope the Sox don't get baited into more on-field confrontations that could distract them going into the playoffs.

I'm looking forward to watching the core White Sox players together for the 10-12 games of the season.

If they bean Jose in this series, God help us all.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they bean Jose in this series, God help us all.
Yeah - things will go nuclear fast if that happens. I hope the Sox are smart enough in this environment not to bean a Tiger in retaliation until 2022.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah - things will go nuclear fast if that happens. I hope the Sox are smart enough in this environment not to bean a Tiger in retaliation until 2022.

Pepperidge Farms remembers.

LOL...I still laugh at Parque's readiness after he beaned that dude...Everyone knew it was coming.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say, the Sox are looking like a team gearing up to do some damage in the playoffs. They've been operating on all cylinders of late. Lynn threw a fine game during his 5 inning/81 pitch outing tonite, then the pen took over and mopped up. Pito got his 30th dinger. Timmay went 4-4 and missed an opportunity to go 5-5 for the first time in his career when the pitcher chickened out and walked him on his last at bat. However, assuming he loses his appeal, which I'm guessing he will, then TA will start the '22 season on suspension. The one hope is if he doesn't beat it, then maybe the league will reduce it a game or two. But I wouldn't bank on that.

FWIW, tonite's attendance was 30,729. I was guessing the upper 20's while watching the game. I suppose a lot of folks were hanging around the concourses.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmy Anderson has a wonderful game last night in the field - at the plate and on the base paths. Captain Jose Abreu also came alive last night. Gavin Sheets continues to impress at the plate with his approach and seems to play better as the drama of the moment gets bigger.

Another sign of winning baseball is the Sox are throwing some serious leather in executing double plays and backing up their pitchers in the field. Congrats to Eloy Jimenez for overcoming my anxiety about his play in LF - he's made himself at least an average defender with a plus arm.

Luis Robert seems to have forgotten how to hit the cutoff man - I hope someone reminds him.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmy Anderson has a wonderful game last night in the field - at the plate and on the base paths. Captain Jose Abreu also came alive last night. Gavin Sheets continues to impress at the plate with his approach and seems to play better as the drama of the moment gets bigger.

Another sign of winning baseball is the Sox are throwing some serious leather in executing double plays and backing up their pitchers in the field. Congrats to Eloy Jimenez for overcoming my anxiety about his play in LF - he's made himself at least an average defender with a plus arm.

Luis Robert seems to have forgotten how to hit the cutoff man - I hope someone reminds him.
And perhaps most importantly, no scuffles, no retaliations.

Bearsfan81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice comeback - this team is riding some good momentum heading into the playoffs. Will be interesting to see if they try to keep it going or rest everyone tomorrow now that the game will be meaningless.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice comeback - this team is riding some good momentum heading into the playoffs. Will be interesting to see if they try to keep it going or rest everyone tomorrow now that the game will be meaningless.
Good point. Nothing to really play for unless there are any individual accolades or accomplishments some players are seeking. Then again, the team will have a minimum of four days rest before the Houston series commences, and that's assuming the regular season won't get extended due to the tiebreaking situation with the WC spots. So needing rest might not be that much of an issue.

Edit: Make that three days rest.

Last edited:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great comeback win by the Sox last night. Winning makes everyone happy - so perhaps it wasn't surprising the affection Sox players show La Russa after the game ended with many of them hugging Tony. So much better than bickering. :)

Bummer's last 38 batters faced have hit ground balls (37 times) or popped up (1 time). He really seems to be ready for the playoffs.

Hendriks is also playing with confidence and invincibility - as he hasn't given up an earned run in 6 weeks.

I don't think I would put Keuchel on the roster, but I certainly think La Russa sees the value in doing so. He is a playoff experienced guy - who has the respect of the other pitchers - and probably knows a lot about the Astros hitters still. If Keuchel is on the roster for this series - it doesn't mean he will be there for the next one - if the Sox advance.

So let's go tear up the Tigers today and get Abreu about 5 RBIs.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great comeback win by the Sox last night. Winning makes everyone happy - so perhaps it wasn't surprising the affection Sox players show La Russa after the game ended with many of them hugging Tony. So much better than bickering. :)

Bummer's last 38 batters faced have hit ground balls (37 times) or popped up (1 time). He really seems to be ready for the playoffs.

Hendriks is also playing with confidence and invincibility - as he hasn't given up an earned run in 6 weeks.

I don't think I would put Keuchel on the roster, but I certainly think La Russa sees the value in doing so. He is a playoff experienced guy - who has the respect of the other pitchers - and probably knows a lot about the Astros hitters still. If Keuchel is on the roster for this series - it doesn't mean he will be there for the next one - if the Sox advance.

So let's go tear up the Tigers today and get Abreu about 5 RBIs.
Great observation on Bummer. I had no idea about that. He really has struggled thru much of the season, some of which can be partly excused for pitching hurt. But the man could not have picked a better time to get his shit in order and once again show why he's such an integral part of the bullpen.