• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Turnover sustainability

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A lot of people have said that it's unlikely we sustain our turnover success from this year. I agree that hanging another +28 is unlikely, but I don't know that a drastic change should be expected.

Offensively speaking, we likely throw more than 5 INTs, but if Smith is at QB, I don't think it would be significantly more. He has shown over the last season and a half that he protects the ball well (I won't call it good decision making, because that implies that QBs make decisions to throw INTs. Smith is extremely careful and rarely takes a risk thus lowering his INT total). I don't see this changing next year.

We fumbled 5 times this year in the run game. That number seems really low. We lost 2 of them. That also seems really low. Smith fumbled 7 times. We lost 2 of those.

However, in 2010 non-QBs fumbled 6 times and we lost 2. We seem to have sustained that. Smith fumbled 4 times and lost 2.

In 2009 non-QBs fumbled 5 times and we lost 2. Smith fumbled 3 times and lost 1.

I think based on a 3 year trend we do a pretty good job of not fumbling and it has proven that protecting the football in terms of lost fumbles is sustainable.

So the takeaways. . .
We had 38 takeaways this year. This tied us for 1st with GB. We were first in fumble recovers with 15 (we forced 20 fumbles which was tied for 4th). To recover 75% of fumbles seems like a lot. However 14 teams recovered roughly 75% of their forced fumbles (note that not all fumbles are considered forced as NE recovered 110% of forced fumbles). Minnesota recovered 15 of 20 as well. So recovering 3 of 4 forced fumbles does not seem "out of whack."

Interceptions could be a different story. Obviously re-signing Goldson and Rogers would play a role (combined for 12 of our 23), but Goldson has always shown good ball skills and hands. There is no reason to expect a regression there. Rogers may have been an anomaly this year and may regress. Brown showed very good ball skills and the willingness to make plays on the ball. I don't expect a regression there.

Most importantly with INTs though, 22 of 23 came from our DBs. Willis was the only non-DB to have an INT. I would expect that to improve next year.

Do I expect a +28 again? No. But we were +28, GB was +24 and Detroit was next best at +11. I don't see us falling far enough for it to significantly impact our ranking.

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i saw 2 turnovers last weekend

too soon?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sound argument, but I think that re-signing Goldson and Rogers is paramount to us sustaining our TO prowess. Fumbles at the QB sometimes are based on sound solid coverage, Rogers is definitely an important cog in that machine and Goldson IMO got much better in his coverage as the season played on. That doesn't even take into account INTs, which you beautifully stated as both Goldson and Rogers being a big part of.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people have said that it's unlikely we sustain our turnover success from this year. I agree that hanging another +28 is unlikely, but I don't know that a drastic change should be expected.

Offensively speaking, we likely throw more than 5 INTs, but if Smith is at QB, I don't think it would be significantly more. He has shown over the last season and a half that he protects the ball well (I won't call it good decision making, because that implies that QBs make decisions to throw INTs. Smith is extremely careful and rarely takes a risk thus lowering his INT total). I don't see this changing next year.

We fumbled 5 times this year in the run game. That number seems really low. We lost 2 of them. That also seems really low. Smith fumbled 7 times. We lost 2 of those.

However, in 2010 non-QBs fumbled 6 times and we lost 2. We seem to have sustained that. Smith fumbled 4 times and lost 2.

In 2009 non-QBs fumbled 5 times and we lost 2. Smith fumbled 3 times and lost 1.

I think based on a 3 year trend we do a pretty good job of not fumbling and it has proven that protecting the football in terms of lost fumbles is sustainable.

So the takeaways. . .
We had 38 takeaways this year. This tied us for 1st with GB. We were first in fumble recovers with 15 (we forced 20 fumbles which was tied for 4th). To recover 75% of fumbles seems like a lot. However 14 teams recovered roughly 75% of their forced fumbles (note that not all fumbles are considered forced as NE recovered 110% of forced fumbles). Minnesota recovered 15 of 20 as well. So recovering 3 of 4 forced fumbles does not seem "out of whack."

Interceptions could be a different story. Obviously re-signing Goldson and Rogers would play a role (combined for 12 of our 23), but Goldson has always shown good ball skills and hands. There is no reason to expect a regression there. Rogers may have been an anomaly this year and may regress. Brown showed very good ball skills and the willingness to make plays on the ball. I don't expect a regression there.

Most importantly with INTs though, 22 of 23 came from our DBs. Willis was the only non-DB to have an INT. I would expect that to improve next year.

Do I expect a +28 again? No. But we were +28, GB was +24 and Detroit was next best at +11. I don't see us falling far enough for it to significantly impact our ranking.

Just a crazy unsubstantiated thought but maybe there hasn't been repeat turnover margins partly because +28 means a great defense and teams haven't been able to resign those players plus +28 equals better teams so the following year is a harder schedule. Having said that, I can't say that most teams were like us, where we had a bad record last year, but produced a great turnover margin and therefore schedule makes any difference. Either way, I think we can agree that we need to resign the defense and hopefully they aren't making up when they say they have more strategies to use that were too complicated for this year.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the defense stays together. There is no reason to think that will change. The team lost two turnovers in the Giants game because of bad luck of Goldson actually making a play at the exact same time the CB did.... and lost a 3rd on a fumble that the 49ers might have got if they were playing at home... ... ... (making fun of not even getting the home field calls)

If the 49ers keep Alex Smith, then I have no doubt they'll match that +28. Simply because he is so cautious with the ball, since he has PTSD from the boos and we want carr chants... If the 49ers move on to another QB, it might drop to +20... dang... what a bunch of failures...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Goldson remains with us and plays just like he did this past year, our ballhawkers should still be ballhawkers...

Not to mention Brown & Cully should be improved.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as skilled forced TOs are concerned, we should continue that if we keep our defensive players. As far as not turning it over, we should keep that close as long as we have the same QB, RB, and TEs.

As far as being lucky, note that even if a coin falls head 15 times in a row, it doesn't make it more likely that it would fall on tails on the 16th toss. We couldn't expect the strreak to keep going for a 16th heads, either. So while it may seem to some that we were lucky and the ball just fell our way, it actually is not more likely one way or another. They call it luck for a reason.

People say the law of averages will just negate what I said, but recent studies say that you should just shut your mouth when you're talking to me. ;) JK. The law of averages is not a causal thing and it has no memory. The fact that the ball rolled to us one year, will not cause the ball to roll to the other team the next year. So I take some solace in that, despite the fact that it doesn't make it more likely to repeat, either. Hope it continues.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
While it looks like the Niners should be good in this dept. for the near future, because of their playing style, its almost impossible to expect them to repeat +28. Check out the stats for the last few years......first, the top teams are pretty inconsistent, meaning there's certainly a lot of fortune involved, especially on the takeaway side. And second, anything even +20 is very rare, and teams aren't repeating that very often.

NFL Stats: by Team Category

I think the most you can hope is that they're like the Pats, very good ball control and near the top of the list every year. But certainly the takeaways are going to vary a lot more.

9er4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 49ers finished the regular season with the NFL's best turnover differential at plus-28. The next-highest differential in franchise history was plus-22 in 1981. But that was followed by a minus-8 in 1982.

So while the 49ers – and every other team for that matter – will shoot for a bumper crop of takeaways in 2012, they can't be relied upon and can't be such a crucial component of the team's winning formula.

History shows that teams rarely duplicate their sterling differential from one year to the next. Also, the two 49ers players directly responsible for the most takeaways, cornerback Carlos Rogers and Goldson (six interceptions each) are free agents and might not be back.

With that in mind, the 49ers need to focus their efforts this offseason on bolstering the weakest part of their winning formula, the offense. The passing game finished 29th in the league in the regular season and was particularly conspicuous by its absence against the Giants.

Alex Smith completed one pass for three yards to a wide receiver in the game and had trouble finding open targets during the 49ers' critical, but ultimately fruitless, offensive drives in the fourth quarter and overtime.

Michael Crabtree, who had five catches for 28 yards in the playoffs, is a good wide receiver who would be an even better one with a legitimate threat opposite him. He didn't have that against New York. More than that, Crabtree and Kyle Williams are the only wideouts signed beyond this season.

There should be several highly regarded wide receivers on the free-agent market, including three – Kansas City's Dwayne Bowe, New Orleans' Marques Colston and San Diego's Vincent Jackson – who fit the 49ers' profile for big, physical wideouts.

Any one of them would be an upgrade, but it would be an expensive acquisition and one that might upset the harmony in the locker room.

The more likely route is through the draft.

That's where the 49ers went in 2010 when they needed to plug holes in the offensive line. And it's where the 49ers went last year, with second-round pick Colin Kaepernick, when they were short on quarterbacks.

It's where they're likely to search for a receiver this season. The 49ers pick 30th overall.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read Matthew Barrows' archives and blogs at 49ers - Sacramento Sports - Kings, 49ers, Raiders, High School Sports | Sacramento Bee.

• Read more articles by Matthew Barrows

Read more here: 49ers may have to work on a new formula for 2012 - Sacramento Sports - Kings, 49ers, Raiders, High School Sports | Sacramento Bee