• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trumbo To Orioles

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said on another board, there's a reason 1B defense is calculated as virtually meaningless in WAR compared to every other infield position.

I don't understand this move by Dipoto unless the goal is to acquire a premium FA at the position.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said on another board, there's a reason 1B defense is calculated as virtually meaningless in WAR compared to every other infield position.

I don't understand this move by Dipoto unless the goal is to acquire a premium FA at the position.

Read somewhere someone speculating on Chris Davis because he has ties with Servias from their Rangers days. I hope not and I don't understand this move at all. It was a give away plus another piece. Why not just let him walk if that was the case because Clevenger doesn't seem like a guy who will stick unless I am missing something? The only benefit I see is that he is a LH's hitting catcher which is nice to have.

And I believe defense at 1B is important.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad I'm not the only one confused by this.

And all defense is important.

WAR for 1B factors it as relatively unimportant compared to other positions is all I was saying. And there are a lot of reasons for it that make sense to me. But I'm pretty stupid. :)

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand dumping him and his salary but not too happy w/ what we're getting in return... It's all about supply and demand in determining what you're going to get in return...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely lost a lot more than we gave up.

I'm not a fan of Trumbo's style but he hit very well down the stretch for the M's. I would've rather kept him than get that low of a return for him.

The only bright side is that he would've received around $9m in arbitration, so that saves us some money to allocate it elsewhere.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dipoto on Trumbo trade:

There’s no particular reason for it. When I called him, I actually told him not to take this the wrong way,” Dipoto said when asked by MLBTR on a conference call. “He’s a great guy, he brings a lot of skill to the table and it’s always difficult to trade right-handed power, but there are reasons for everything. The first time that I moved him, we needed pitching and we tapped into two young upside starters (Tyler Skaggs, Hector Santiago) that we needed at the time. I felt good about that trade and I feel good about this one, too. In this case, we’re bringing in a backup left-handed hitting catcher along with payroll and roster flexibility as we move into the hot stove portion of the offseason. I explained all of this to Mark. He’s going to an ideal place to hit but it just wasn’t an ideal fit for us on our side.”

As many outsiders picked up on, Dipoto indicated that Trumbo was moved in large part because of his projected $9.1MM salary for 2016. Unlike the last Trumbo trade, Dipoto isn’t moving Trumbo in order to eliminate redundancy in the lineup, and Dipoto himself isn’t sure how the first base position will be filled. Still, I asked the GM whether he would be more likely to fill that spot via free agency or trade.

It’s tough to say. There’s still a lot of time between now and Opening Day. We’ve discussed a lot of trade candidates with various teams around the league and we’ve at least surveyed the free agent pool, but have not engaged [any available first basemen] at this point,” Dipoto said.

-----------------------------

So two things I take from this:

1- We must be out of money if we need to unload $9M to be players in free agency.

2- How did he go from getting Skaggs & Santiago to Clevenger for the same man? Sad, sad, sad!

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get "likes" when I say I'm stupid.

I'm going to go full whore now because I need validation.

I'm stupid. Truly dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb .

I was luckly to score 83 on my IQ test.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think DiPoto got trade raped. Talk about just giving players away.
He got something for a player they weren't going to pay at the end of arbitration. Something is always better than nothing in this scenario.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got something for a player they weren't going to pay at the end of arbitration. Something is always better than nothing in this scenario.

Untrue because they still sent a reliever we traded for 2 months ago along with him.