• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Triple Espresso of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That incident this weekend wasn’t really what everybody seemed to make it out to be, including the possibility absolutely nobody was actually chanting “Build the wall”.

The Media Wildly Mischaracterized That Video of Covington Catholic Students Confronting a Native American Veteran

The PR Firm they hired is working overtime, I guess.

But then people post stuff like this with the group of them shouting at a group of people just walking along the national mall...

They went there looking for trouble and were somehow surprised when they found it.

And also this sums it up pretty well, IMO:
BbrvGVt.jpg

Poor widdle white boy is being treated bad and everyone comes rushing to his defense. The little shit stain and all his little shit stain friends went looking for trouble. Let 'em figure out how to get out of it. Without their rich ass parents hiring PR firms. Actions have consequences.

Yes, even for white kids.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PR Firm they hired is working overtime, I guess.

But then people post stuff like this with the group of them shouting at a group of people just walking along the national mall...

They went there looking for trouble and were somehow surprised when they found it.

And also this sums it up pretty well, IMO:
BbrvGVt.jpg

Poor widdle white boy is being treated bad and everyone comes rushing to his defense. The little shit stain and all his little shit stain friends went looking for trouble. Let 'em figure out how to get out of it. Without their rich ass parents hiring PR firms. Actions have consequences.

Yes, even for white kids.
I'm not saying the kid is or isn't a smug little shit or anything, just that the entire narrative surrounding the ordeal was "Indian 'Nam vet accosted by gang of Trump-loving private school kids", complete with the Native war vet saying the kids "were in the process of attacking these four black individuals" when in reality the initial incident appeared to be almost entirely caused by those four black individual nutcases who still, even if you think the kids are racist shitbirds, come out as the most reprehensible persons of the bunch (and, of course, in later interviews the drummer now claims to have known all along that the Black Israelites were instigating the kids and not victims as he made them out to be initially).

Which is what bugs me the most - everybody involved here seemed to be itching for a shouting match and looking to impose themselves into the situation but the media at large decided immediately that a bunch of 15 year olds were automatically solely at fault for an incident they had a minute and 30 seconds of footage of and, let's be honest, because one picture of one kid's face up against that of a Native man triggered a shit-ton of emotions.

And then, when people in the media began admitting that they had jumped to conclusions they were attacked for admitting that rather than keeping up the attacks on the 15 year old kids.

This just isn't how any of this is supposed to work. I don't know what the hell actually happened and it's pretty clear that nobody in the media, mainstream or otherwise, does either.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying the kid is or isn't a smug little shit or anything, just that the entire narrative surrounding the ordeal was "Indian 'Nam vet accosted by gang of Trump-loving private school kids", complete with the Native war vet saying the kids "were in the process of attacking these four black individuals" when in reality the initial incident appeared to be almost entirely caused by those four black individual nutcases who still, even if you think the kids are racist shitbirds, come out as the most reprehensible persons of the bunch (and, of course, in later interviews the drummer now claims to have known all along that the Black Israelites were instigating the kids and not victims as he made them out to be initially).

Which is what bugs me the most - everybody involved here seemed to be itching for a shouting match and looking to impose themselves into the situation but the media at large decided immediately that a bunch of 15 year olds were automatically solely at fault for an incident they had a minute and 30 seconds of footage of and, let's be honest, because one picture of one kid's face up against that of a Native man triggered a shit-ton of emotions.

And then, when people in the media began admitting that they had jumped to conclusions they were attacked for admitting that rather than keeping up the attacks on the 15 year old kids.

This just isn't how any of this is supposed to work. I don't know what the hell actually happened and it's pretty clear that nobody in the media, mainstream or otherwise, does either.

Please don't interpret my disdain for the MAGA kids in any way condoning the other racist shitheads.

But in reality, when we "get it wrong" about a black guy, it usually doesn't involve PR firms or celebrities announcing their apologies on Twitter. White privilege in a nutshell.

These little shits went looking for trouble. And they found it. wah.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please don't interpret my disdain for the MAGA kids in any way condoning the other racist shitheads.

But in reality, when we "get it wrong" about a black guy, it usually doesn't involve PR firms or celebrities announcing their apologies on Twitter. White privilege in a nutshell.

I heard the kid's mom was a VP at a major company (my guess is Kroger or P&G) so I guess that happened pretty quickly lol.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the kid's mom was a VP at a major company (my guess is Kroger or P&G) so I guess that happened pretty quickly lol.

Would not surprise me in the least.

Might be Fifth Third Bank. They probably have PR firm reps in their offices as contractors.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, I can't find anything on the googles that says "desi" is a slur in any way other than someone calling a Cuban guy "Desi" thanks to this person:

ap268251693498_sq-e81b6e4e6f1442cd46dc7f0e88f073aa7c5a82ed-s800-c85.jpg
The likeness is uncanny. Is that from the episode where Opie didn't understand southern gender roles and gave Andy a pearl necklace for his birthday?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think my overall problem with the MAGA kids is that this shouldn't be news. Some people had a tense interaction, nobody was hurt... why should I care? The news cares because it gives them a chance to stoke the fires for their respective bases/audiences. It gives them an example to go "look (typical conservative/liberal/white/black/woman/man/etc.), this is how they all are and why you're right and they are wrong." But it's not. And it shouldn't be held up as such. And it shouldn't be news aside from maybe a local story.

Guy gets kicked off an airline flight. Two black guys not served coffee. The behavior of people at the extremes shouldn't be help up as representative of anything except "some people are assholes." Assholes come in all political leanings, race, gender, sexuality, etc. United airlines and Starbucks ultimately will employ some assholes. Some liberals and some conservatives will be assholes. The fact that there are assholes isn't news. Systemic assholery should be news, but that is rarely what is reported in these stories.

But this is a BIG part of why polarization is so exacerbated these days. These kinds of stories. The kinds of stories you NEVER would have heard about 20 years ago and especially not 50 years ago. This is the negative offshoot of a social media world where we are all more connected across longer distances. We all saw people as our neighbors and our friends and we didn't talk about politics. But now people includes some of these assholes, and it shapes our view of the world negatively. It makes it feel like these interactions are the world now, when our everyday generally positive experiences don't fit with that narrative.

And this is where our news gatekeepers are failing. Not in Trump's claims that some news (good for him) is real and other news (bad for him) is fake. But in not being rigorous in the application of standards that examine what we really need to know about and what we don't. At some point, the media has to take responsibility for that. Buzzfeed and Facebook won't, but I expect more of our real newspapers and news channels.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my overall problem with the MAGA kids is that this shouldn't be news. Some people had a tense interaction, nobody was hurt... why should I care? The news cares because it gives them a chance to stoke the fires for their respective bases/audiences. It gives them an example to go "look (typical conservative/liberal/white/black/woman/man/etc.), this is how they all are and why you're right and they are wrong." But it's not. And it shouldn't be held up as such. And it shouldn't be news aside from maybe a local story.

Guy gets kicked off an airline flight. Two black guys not served coffee. The behavior of people at the extremes shouldn't be help up as representative of anything except "some people are assholes." Assholes come in all political leanings, race, gender, sexuality, etc. United airlines and Starbucks ultimately will employ some assholes. Some liberals and some conservatives will be assholes. The fact that there are assholes isn't news. Systemic assholery should be news, but that is rarely what is reported in these stories.

But this is a BIG part of why polarization is so exacerbated these days. These kinds of stories. The kinds of stories you NEVER would have heard about 20 years ago and especially not 50 years ago. This is the negative offshoot of a social media world where we are all more connected across longer distances. We all saw people as our neighbors and our friends and we didn't talk about politics. But now people includes some of these assholes, and it shapes our view of the world negatively. It makes it feel like these interactions are the world now, when our everyday generally positive experiences don't fit with that narrative.

And this is where our news gatekeepers are failing. Not in Trump's claims that some news (good for him) is real and other news (bad for him) is fake. But in not being rigorous in the application of standards that examine what we really need to know about and what we don't. At some point, the media has to take responsibility for that. Buzzfeed and Facebook won't, but I expect more of our real newspapers and news channels.
Like I said, this isn't how any of this is supposed to work and we're all worse off for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.