• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Triple Espresso of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so surprised that the Florida idiot won - sharing a ballot with Bill Nelson (who's about as unimpressive a senator as you'll find) who's running against a popular governor was always going to result in losing a shit ton of votes no matter how much DeSantis made an ass of himself. It's too bad, too, because Gillum seemed like a very good candidate.

The GA gov race seems pretty horrifying though. With the narrow lead Kemp has right now and all the shit he pulled with voter rolls as SoS during an election he's running in, it's very possible he's just stolen an election from the righteous victor.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, we (using the collective 'we' here, because I live in a different district) also (probably) consciously elected a Congressman who questions whether careers are a "healthy pursuit" for women, among other things.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact we're even talking day parole for someone who did something so horrific not even 3 years into a 10 year sentence is an indictment on our legal system.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not bothered by that because that's the entire design of the Senate.

We can debate the merits of the 2 per state concept, but this isn't a result of gerrymandering or any other loophole.

Agreed.

Time to do something about the structure that allows the minority to speak for the majority.

The GA gov race seems pretty horrifying though. With the narrow lead Kemp has right now and all the shit he pulled with voter rolls as SoS during an election he's running in, it's very possible he's just stolen an election from the righteous victor.

Doesn't look like GA is over yet. Could very well be a runoff. THAT will get nasty.

No matter what, I hope that people like O'Rourke, Abrams (should she lose) and Gillum don't retreat. Their voices need to continue to be heard. They need to show they doing more than looking for a job. I would love it if every day their faces were plastered everywhere saying what they themselves would have done while we hear the stories about what the winners of those races actually do.

Be the opposite of Fox News. A counter voice filling the void. Fox News degrades the education of the people by parroting their message over and over and over and there really isn't anyone doing the opposite consistently. These three especially gained a lot of traction in what would have been lost causes just 4 years ago. They need to capitalize on that and show people that voting against their own best interests has real consequences. Spell it out often.

Every time Smarmy Ted does something smarmy, Beto needs to scream about it. And tell people how it affects them.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah
I'm not so surprised that the Florida idiot won - sharing a ballot with Bill Nelson (who's about as unimpressive a senator as you'll find) who's running against a popular governor was always going to result in losing a shit ton of votes no matter how much DeSantis made an ass of himself. It's too bad, too, because Gillum seemed like a very good candidate.

Yeah even he did nothing wrong it comes across that way since he didn't step down at Secretary of State. Heck even Karen Handel who had zero chance of winning the GA gov race years back stepped down.
There is still hope that all the mail-in/provisional ballets change the percentages under 50% for both. If that is the case then GA law dictates they must have a run-off election to see who will be Gov.

The positive items in GA are:
Congressional District 6: Lucy McBeth -D looks to have won. This is huge because this is a heavy Republican district in the past that was Newts.
Congressional District 7: Bourdeaux - D looks to have lost but still counting the votes and she is only down by 1100.
This is huge because Forsyth county is heavy R and is the county up until the 80's the epicenter for racism in GA. (Go check out the Oprah march) Also Romney won this district by 22 points and then down to 6 by Trump. In two years there is no excuse for the Democrats to not win here since Gwinnett county is now heavy democrat. The catch is they NEED better turn out. Gwinnett county has over 500,000 registered voters and only about 60% voted.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know how Acosta does it, for as much grief as he has taken over the last couple of years from Sarah Sanders, Trump, and Trumpettes at his rallies, I'm surprised he hasn't gone postal by now.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know how Acosta does it, for as much grief as he has taken over the last couple of years from Sarah Sanders, Trump, and Trumpettes at his rallies, I'm surprised he hasn't gone postal by now.

It's like Michael Scott is being asked things by Toby.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K tbh that would probably annoy the shit out of me too, and slapping down the female staffer's arm isn't the smartest thing either. He asked his question, he got his answer, sit down.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K tbh that would probably annoy the shit out of me too, and slapping down the female staffer's arm isn't the smartest thing either. He asked his question, he got his answer, sit down.

Wow. Just wow.

And I would argue he didn't get his answer. Yeah, he probably shoulda sat down (and stayed there) but still... Hayzus Fracking Crisp

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, Acosta could be a Fox News lap dog, ask a softball question and meekly take his seat, but he's actually trying to make POTUS accountable for his actions and what he says. If Sarsh Sanders or Trump can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Acosta could be a Fox News lap dog, ask a softball question and meekly take his seat, but he's actually trying to make POTUS accountable for his actions and what he says. If Sarsh Sanders or Trump can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
If he was expanding on his first question re: immigration, sure. Trump didn't really answer that. Make all the noise you want.

But he jumped right into "On the Russia Investigation..." and there's a room full of reporters who want their time too. Acosta doesn't get special treatment because he's with CNN. I've never seen a press conference with a president where the POTUS stands there while each reporter asks his/her list of queries.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you can criticize the President's treatment of the press while also criticizing how some members of the press go about their business. Sides don't have to be taken.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never seen a press conference with a president where the POTUS stands there while each reporter asks his/her list of queries.

The daily press briefings have gone the way of the dinosaur, there's bound to be a backlog of questions to be asked. That said, Acosta didn't handle that exchange very well, but I can hardly blame him after the abuse he has taken over the last couple of years.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you can criticize the President's treatment of the press while also criticizing how some members of the press go about their business. Sides don't have to be taken.

When the CNN building has to be evacuated due to a pipe bomb scare and the POTUS constantly calls the press "The enemy of the people" (straight out of the Hitler playbook), it's difficult for me to have much sympathy for the president.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ontario passed a similar bill under the last government (well, two governments ago but the same party ruled the same way for 15 years here so). They shut down all the coal-fired generators, made a commitment to wind down operations at one of the three nuclear plants in the province and promised to go nuts on wind and biomass.

The result was electricity prices that rose at 4 times the rate of inflation since 2006, costing Ontario users twice what people in neighbouring Quebec pay. Low-income users were having their power turned off in the middle of the winter because they couldn't keep up with the rate hikes. The government ended up cancelling two gas-fired generating stations in Toronto suburbs because it turned out that people in those suburbs weren't really keen on having generating stations in their neighbourhoods and there was an election going on; that wound up costing them a billion dollars. Nuclear station refurbishments went overbudget to the tune of almost $10 billion. The government who railed against the previous Conservative gov't's plan to privatize electricity went ahead and did that anyway once they were drowning in a deficit so high it raised the debt level of the province to the highest of any jurisdiction in North America besides the federal government of the United States, and then once another election was coming up decided to give a 25% rebate on electricity prices entirely financed on debt because they clearly hadn't learned their lesson. And this is all before we get into the carbon tax.

Green energy sounds like a great idea but I'm not sure there's a government around that has any clue how to actually implement a strategy that doesn't end in financial catastrophe. Ours sure as shit wasn't one.

Ontario isn't made of sunlight like Arizona is. You don't even need good solar technology here. It's always intensely sunny. Like I said, the infrastructure already exists to get the state close to the stated goal, if not there immediately. The only reason prices would go up would be APS price gouging in retaliation to the bill.

And why the crap would Ontario cut use of their nuclear plant? That's the most viable clean energy source we have. If you dispose of the waste properly, it's nearly as clean as solar. And there are new waste-disposal technologies out there which make that legitimately easy and cost-effective. (One of them actually makes the spent rods reusable, and it's pretty remarkable.)

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darn it, I was hoping Kathleen Williams would win in Montana, but it appears they prefer their representatives to be body slamming journalists in Big Sky Country.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ontario isn't made of sunlight like Arizona is. You don't even need good solar technology here. It's always intensely sunny. Like I said, the infrastructure already exists to get the state close to the stated goal, if not there immediately. The only reason prices would go up would be APS price gouging in retaliation to the bill.

And why the crap would Ontario cut use of their nuclear plant? That's the most viable clean energy source we have. If you dispose of the waste properly, it's nearly as clean as solar. And there are new waste-disposal technologies out there which make that legitimately easy and cost-effective. (One of them actually makes the spent rods reusable, and it's pretty remarkable.)
It's not made of sunlight, but it is made of a shit ton of water (so much so that we generally call electricity "hydro") and there have been numerous development proposals for areas in the remote north of the province that can provide an adequate amount of clean energy that the same government didn't want to spend the money to get moving. Quebec, on the other hand, similarly have a shit ton of damable water spent the money and like I said their rates are half of what ours are.

The anti-nuclear stuff is mostly because the same idiots who want green everything also think nuclear energy is bad.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darn it, I was hoping Kathleen Williams would win in Montana, but it appears they prefer their representatives to be body slamming journalists in Big Sky Country.
How are we supposed to trust that a representative will look out for us - if they cannot even bodyslam a reporter?

Status
Not open for further replies.