• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Triple Espresso of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^Also regarding this "scary time for young men" bullshit:

Is it as scary as being raped in a frat house and having no one believe you?

Is it as scary as having horny assholes show you their wang as soon as they get you in private?

Is it as scary as having an orange baboon grab you by the pussy because he can get away with it?

Or any of the other bullshit women have subjected to and have been belittled for reporting for the last ... how many... decades?

STFU Baron Von Grabbercrotch.

Well, these dickwads seem to think that not getting appointed to the Supreme Court will "ruin" someone's life, soooo

Also, here is a heartwarming story about life in Trump's America. Don't worry about those brown people, the white land owner says they are fine.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/salvadorhernandez/migrant-workers-stranded-hurricane-florence

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
flood gates are opening

Just read the whole thing. Very thorough and well investigated piece.

And given Trump's history of suing anyone who looks at him funny the fact that the NYT put the word "fraud" in the first paragraph tells me they believe in their info and are essentially daring him to sue and put it on public record.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not surprised the President mocked Dr. Ford's testimony, you knew it was only a matter of time. The disheartening thing is the raucous cheering that followed the mocking. I realize a lot of that is mob mentality, but if you looking for a main reason why women are reluctant to report sexual assault, Exhibit "A' was on display last night in Mississippi.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not surprised the President mocked Dr. Ford's testimony, you knew it was only a matter of time. The disheartening thing is the raucous cheering that followed the mocking. I realize a lot of that is mob mentality, but if you looking for a main reason why women are reluctant to report sexual assault, Exhibit "A' was on display last night in Mississippi.

It's like he's trying to be the world's biggest asshole. I guess he's winning at something.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Flake - I wish he hadn't done it, it's kind of appalling - Wow, way to take a stand Jeff.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a fucking putrid clause in the new NAFTA and I can't believe anybody here was dumb enough to include it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's definitely just intentional dishonesty, but all these conservative talking heads and conspiracy theorists trying to latch onto "inconsistencies" in Ford's testimony either have no grasp of reasonable thresholds of accuracy (a USA Today article argued Ford's claim the house was near the country club was a lie because it could have been as much as 20 minutes away--which is still pretty close, by my estimation, for example), or no understanding of memory of trauma.

I think they should try to recall their most traumatic experiences. See what details they come up with unaided. How confident they are. I'll give two of my own examples, one of perhaps my most vivid memory, the other of an actual trauma:

1. I remember vividly what my grandma looked like when she died. Mouth open, head tilted back. I remember the faded brown carpet and the floral wallpaper in the nursing home room where she passed. I remember the flimsy balsa wood wardrobe I turned to face because seeing her dead was hard and made my stomach lurch.

I don't remember when she died. I was in college, but I couldn't tell you the year. I think it was over the summer, but I couldn't tell you the month. I don't remember the name of the nursing home. I can't remember if it was just me, my brother, and my mom in the room, or if any of my aunts or uncles were there. I certainly don't remember the nurses, because I don't even remember if I saw a nurse that day. I could make a guess at the rough location of the nursing home, but I couldn't narrow it down beyond that.

2. I nearly drowned in my swimming pool as a kid. I was swimming underwater, and we had one of those plastic ladders you drop into an above-ground pool that sits a little away from the wall of the pool. I thought I'd be tricky and swim between the rungs of the ladder, but I got stuck. I had foolishly gone out alone, and no one even knew I was in the pool to come help me, so it was either figure it out or drown.

I have no idea how old I was. Could be anywhere from 7 to 12. It was the summer, I guess, because the pool was open, but that's all I've got for a date. I definitely didn't tell anyone about it until years later, and I remember nothing else about that day.

But I remember vividly the weird angle I was caught at, the sense of panic, and the tightening in my chest as my held breath started to run out. I know I escaped because I'm typing this, but I don't remember how, and I don't remember what I did right after that.

Memory is weird as heck. Picking at little details is somewhere between stupid and irresponsible and outright malicious.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent post, @Darkstone42 . Outside of tearing apart her story, shouldn't the more important question be - is Brett Kavanaugh a good candidate? Should he be confirmed? By his answers and demeanor (even setting aside possible criminal activity) I think the answer has to be "no." The fact that it's so obvious that multiple answers were either severe mischaracterizations or outright lies should confirm that no.

But I remember vividly the weird angle I was caught at, the sense of panic, and the tightening in my chest as my held breath started to run out. I know I escaped because I'm typing this, but I don't remember how, and I don't remember what I did right after that.

I have bad news though. You never made it out and this board is simply a feature of the afterlife. And since the Capitals just won the Cup, I think you know where you are!!!

(In all seriousness, that sounds horrible Glad you survived. In college, some friends and I were on top of a building and I fell into a shaft in the middle of it on the roof. The light from the campus was in my face so I couldn't see what was at my feet and we were fleeing campus security (Note: not Justice material!!!). Falling into complete darkness and I thought - 'oh man, I'm dead. well this was a stupid way to go.' Even though I couldn't see the bottom, it was only about 12 feet down. I hit on my knee and rolled and somehow came out unscathed aside from a sore knee. I was with 7-8 people that night on the building, but couldn't tell you who aside from 1 or 2 of them.)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have bad news though. You never made it out and this board is simply a feature of the afterlife. And since the Capitals just won the Cup, I think you know where you are!!!

Please. I figured out where I was by my second year in graduate school. The Caps winning the Cup was just the demons realizing there was no point in hiding it anymore.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please. I figured out where I was by my second year in graduate school. The Caps winning the Cup was just the demons realizing there was no point in hiding it anymore.

Addendum: The Cubs winning the World Series was worse. Much more effective torture, really.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picking at little details is somewhere between stupid and irresponsible and outright malicious.

They wouldn't do it if it wasn't incredibly effective.

And I am right there with you, I can still remember the cologne my dad was wearing the first time I saw him slap my mother. Other than it being our living room and that I was wearing Orioles pajamas, I don't remember much else about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.