• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training camp - Wentz on fire! Alshon and Lane Johnson scare

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised no other news on camp....

Seems Wentz is on fire

PHILADELPHIA -- Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz had a near-perfect day throwing the football Saturday.

With the team in pads for the first time this summer and the intensity ratcheted up a few notches, Wentz unofficially went
25-for-25 in 7-on-7 action and 15-for-15 during full-team drills.

"It's only one practice so I'm not getting too excited," offensive coordinator Frank Reich said, "but that's probably as well as we've executed in the passing game since I've been here."

One sequence in particular spoke to how dialed-in Wentz was. He threaded one down the seam to wide receiver
Jordan Matthews, who made an over-the-shoulder, fingertip grab in traffic, then ran the length of the field so he could flip the ball to a young boy wearing one of Wentz's "AO1" T-shirts. A beat later, Wentz hurled a sideline pass that at first glance looked as though it had no chance but dropped in over top of the defense and right into the arms of tight end Zach Ertz.

On the other side of things... seems Alshon and Lane Johnson both went down and got injured. Just a scare, in that both said they were fine and continued later on.

Jeffery landed on his shoulder during one-on-ones and drew the attention of trainers. He sat out some of the ensuing action but returned before long.

Right tackle
Lane Johnson came up limping after getting rolled up on during team drills but continued to practice and said he was fine.

Rookie defensive tackle
Elijah Qualls went down during pass-rush drills and was still hobbled in the locker room afterward.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other camp notes with more specifics... for those looking for some eagles news.. finally. :)

1. Injuries.. skipped (stated above)

2. Carson Wentz was extremely sharp today, so it's no surprise the offense as a whole looked great in 7-on-7s and 11-on-11s.

"Today was a very good day for the whole offense," offensive coordinator Frank Reich said. "We had a few snafus here and there, but it was a good day. I thought in the pass game in particular we executed really well. It's only one practice so I'm not getting too excited, but that's probably as well as we've executed in the past year since I've been here."

Ertz was heavily involved during the team portion of practice and 7-on-7s. He made a lot of catches. Jordan Matthews had a big day too. He and Wentz connected on several nice plays.

3. It's a little thing, but Wentz's hard count was impressive on Saturday, getting a few guys to come across the line of scrimmage throughout the day.

4. One of Wentz's best plays came when he avoided pressure from Destiny Vaeao, rolled to his right and found a crossing Matthews. Wentz just always looks so comfortable when he starts rolling and throwing on the run. It seems like it helps him get into rhythm. That's not just an observation about today; that's an observation about Wentz from the time he arrived in Philadelphia.

5. Saturday was the first time we got to watch 1-on-1 drills with offensive linemen vs. defensive linemen in pads. Those battles are my favorite to watch at training camp.

Brandon Brooks vs. Fletcher Cox was a pretty good one. I'll give a slight edge to Brooks, but it was a great battle between two of the strongest players on the team. Back when I briefly covered the Houston Texans, I'd watch Brooks battle similarly against J.J. Watt.

6. In those same drills, Tim Jernigan showed that pass-rush prowess we've heard so much about. He got up under Isaac Seumalo and beat him for a would-be sack. Jim Schwartz praised Jernigan earlier in the week and it's clear that Jernigan is a pretty good rusher.

Meanwhile, Derek Barnett didn't look great in the 1-on-1s. He was stood up by Matt Tobin and Dillon Gordon on his consecutive plays.

7. Patrick Robinson had a bounce-back day after getting burned by David Watford on Friday. He was involved in the defense and broke up several passes. That's encouraging.

8. Terrence Brooks has been everywhere over the first week of camp. The reserve safety just seems to have a knack for being around the ball and he looked at home when the pads went on Saturday. He looked ready to pop someone.

9. Marcus Johnson, the second-year player from Texas, might end up becoming the true darling of training camp this year. He's been making plays every day and even got some run with the ones on Saturday. He's improved a lot from last training camp.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The secondary apparently looked terrible today, on a negative note. So yes, Wentz looking sharper and the new receivers help, but our corners look like garbage.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The secondary apparently looked terrible today, on a negative note. So yes, Wentz looking sharper and the new receivers help, but our corners look like garbage.

never going to know how good the receivers or Wentz are until they play against a real defensive backfield.

They had better light it up this year or eat 65% of the clock because our DBs are going to get killed.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect we trade for a veteran corner to play opposite of Mills. Rasul Douglas may not be ready as a rookie, if ever (he is getting beat deep due to a lack of speed). And Patrick Robinson, the supposed stop-gap vet, is also getting burned (as he has his whole career).

We have Jalen Mills who is looking OK on one side, but the other looks shaky. Douglas may get the nod by default because he is physical but he will need over the top help all game. There are a few young guys on the backup teams looking OK and maybe they get a shot to start, but all in all, sounds like a big hole at corner.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a t Camp today. Agholor was the best player on the field. Johnson looked good too. So, our WR corps looks fine. Mills looked OK, but it was hard for me to determine as the defense wore white, and with the military fatigue colors, it was difficult for me to identify many f the players. Wentz was sharp. Hollins looks like a stud. I would not be surprised if Mathews gets traded, especially if they can get a 3rd for him.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter how bad the corners are.. it's good news to hear Wentz and the receivers doing so well. This in itself is a huge reason for optimism and improvement. The corners were a huge problem last year - hence the reason we just drafted 2 of them. Unfort, one is red shirted until 2018. A vet stop gap would be a huge bonus, but who is available?? It's going to take another year to address the remaining holes.

Duke, how was alshon??? Good news about Hollins. there is likely only room for 1 WR between Hollins/Johnson. Which do you think has the edge from just watching yesterday??

Good to hear more good news about Algholor. Cannot say the kid is not putting in the work. Hope he lives up to his draft pick.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see much out of Jeffrey. He was OK, but didn't stand out. That's OK. I'm not concerned about him at all. Keep I mind that people were talking all the time, so I didn't see every play. Hollins and Johnson both look REAL GOOD. I think we carry 6 WR's: Jeffrey, Smith, Jordan (barring a trade),Agholor, Hollins, and Johnson. If they trade Jordan, we go with 5 unless Gibson makes it. So far he hasn't done a lot and has a lot of drops. He does have elite speed though, so we'll see. I cannot speak highly enough about Agholor. He looked like an all-pro yesterday. Hope he keeps it up. If Jordan gets moved, Agholor looks like a great slot WR. Again, this was just one day. It will be good to see how the first preseason game looks, Aug. 10th.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These corners could determine whether we go 8-8 or 12-4. Please be adequate:hope:

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are really bad we may be worse than 8-8 unfortunately.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles signed another veteran CB today. Maybe he can play. that would be nice. Tay Gover-Wright. Never heard of him.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These corners could determine whether we go 8-8 or 12-4. Please be adequate:hope:
I would be more concerned about getting a good pass rush versus how bad the corners are.. If the Eagles can get to the QB, the corners can be good enough I would think. Our pass rush wasn't that good last season. Hopefully that will change this season.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be more concerned about getting a good pass rush versus how bad the corners are.. If the Eagles can get to the QB, the corners can be good enough I would think. Our pass rush wasn't that good last season. Hopefully that will change this season.

If we don't get a good pass rush we'll go 5-11 with these corners. I was factoring that in.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Howie is going to be forced to trade for a corner. I think Jordan Matthews may be a good guy to deal, say, to Chicago. Or maybe Nelson Agholor.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep hearing Matthews for Kyle fuller. Or, even Kendricks for Fuller.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears declined his option after missing last season and spent money on Corners. If they trade Fuller as opposed to cutting him they save around 1.5 mil. Kendricks may cost too much for the Bears to take on and Fuller's not enough for us to trade Matthews. I think the best solution is for us to trade them a late Rd draft pick (5th or 6th).

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our corners... vs the WR's in the NFC east... hmm....

Lets just hope Wentz and our WR's can keep pace.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jordan Matthews is not worth as much as Eagles fans think in the trade market. I would trade him for Fuller and be fine with it.