• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp 2022

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners cut OT J.Mills.

The starting 5 OL: T.Williams, Banks, Brendel, Burford, McGlinchey

The backups will be 3 or 4 players. Brunskill, McKivitz, Moore, Poe look like the most likely suspects.

Last edited:

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR Marcus Johnson waived.

The only question at WR is whether we keep 5 or 6. If its 6, then M.Turner makes the team. If we only keep 5, it's Deebo, Aiyuk, Ray Ray, Jennings, and Gray.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners release veteran WR Willie Snead.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cuts so far:

OL Poe, D.West, A.Gutierrez, J.Mills
RB Hasty
WR T.martin, W.Snead, M.Johnson

DL K.Turay
LB S.Olubi
CB Castro-Fields, Q.Knight, K.Hollman, K. Crawley

Turay has to be the biggest shocker. He was good throughout TC.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add to those cuts:
DT K.Atkins

DB D.Johnson

OT J.Skule (thank God!)

WR M.Turner

A little surprised that D.Johnson was cut. But he has been the NFL equivalent of a day laborer the last few years, so we will probably hire him for a few games in teh near future.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Niners cut QB N.Sudfeld.

Means we decided to eat the 2M in guaranteed salary he had for this season. It made some sense with Jimmy getting 7M this season, but still. Surprising.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Niners cut QB N.Sudfeld.

Means we decided to eat the 2M in guaranteed salary he had for this season. It made some sense with Jimmy getting 7M this season, but still. Surprising.
yeah... little surprised by that and Poe. I think Purdy made them feel better about that decision as well, assuming JG gets traded at some point.

Poe has me nervous. We desperately need help on the OL, and while maybe there isn't much risk around a UDFA guard, I would think that there is some risk that someone will snatch him up.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I would have kept Hasty and moved on from Sermon too. We have a lot of big backs and Hasty knows the system and can provide a different look out of the backfield. Really showed nice vision improvements during preseason games. Oh well.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah... little surprised by that and Poe. I think Purdy made them feel better about that decision as well, assuming JG gets traded at some point.

Poe has me nervous. We desperately need help on the OL, and while maybe there isn't much risk around a UDFA guard, I would think that there is some risk that someone will snatch him up.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I would have kept Hasty and moved on from Sermon too. We have a lot of big backs and Hasty knows the system and can provide a different look out of the backfield. Really showed nice vision improvements during preseason games. Oh well.
Kyle said at his presser that Brock Purdy would've been the backup QB had Jimmy not taken a paycut to stay. That's interesting. I'm glad that the FO was smart enough to just cut our losses (let's hope they keep that attitude with Sermon).

I too would move on from Sermon. He just doesn't fit the system.

I think I'd rather have Mason than Hasty, and I'm ok with that trade off. Mason is the next PS project, just like Hasty was before him.

What scares me is that OL Keaton Sutherland hasn't been cut yet. That guy stunk at both OG and OC. No reason for him to make the team.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle said at his presser that Brock Purdy would've been the backup QB had Jimmy not taken a paycut to stay. That's interesting. I'm glad that the FO was smart enough to just cut our losses (let's hope they keep that attitude with Sermon).

I too would move on from Sermon. He just doesn't fit the system.

I think I'd rather have Mason than Hasty, and I'm ok with that trade off. Mason is the next PS project, just like Hasty was before him.

What scares me is that OL Keaton Sutherland hasn't been cut yet. That guy stunk at both OG and OC. No reason for him to make the team.
True that!

Mason is a beast... I could live with him instead of Sermon/Hasty.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The word from camp was that West wasn't strong enough. A season on the PS might be just the thing to help him develop.

The cutdown news from SF is basically nothing. Only 3 guys cut so far.
CB K.Hollman
CB K.Crawley
OC D.West

I'm shocked Sutherland wasn't among the first rd of cuts. He stunk out loud at both OG and OC.

With Jimmy taking up a roster spot, we might carry 3 QBs since Sudfeld had 2M guaranteed on his deal, so that'll hurt our roster flexibility some.
General comment, IMO when a player isn't strong enough, then he'll remain "not strong enough". So not holding out for West to come back strong in the future.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Curtis Robinson, LB. made the 53?!

Did we even hear his name during any of the 3 pre-season games?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curtis Robinson, LB. made the 53?!

Did we even hear his name during any of the 3 pre-season games?
Robinson will be put on IR-return, opening up a roster spot. But he's got to make the initial roster for a day before he can be put there.

It's already being reported that BOTH safety J.Ward and LB C.Robinson will be put on IR-return tomorrow and we'll resign TE Kroft and DE J.Willis.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The initial roster is done. Some oddities in it.

3 QBs
5 RBs not including Juice
Only 5 WRs
All the healthy rookies but Castro Fields made the team
We're keeping a TON of Dlinemen

QB 3 Lance, Jimmy, Purdy
RB 5 Mitchell, Wilson, TDP, Sermon, Mason
FB 1 Juice
WR 5 Deebo, Aiyuk, Ray Ray, Jennings, Gray
TE 3 Kittle, Dwelley, Woerner
OL 9 Williams, Banks, Brendel, Burford, McGlinchey, Brunskill, McKivitz, J.Moore, N.Zakelj

DL 9 Bosa, Armstead, Kinlaw, Ebukam, Givens, Hyder, Jackson, Omenihu, Ridgeway
LB 6 AlShaair, Greenlaw, Warner, Burks, DFF, Robinson
CB 5 Moseley, C.Ward, A.Thomas, D.Lenoir, Womack
S 4 Hufanga, J.Ward, T.Moore, Odum

ST 3 Gould, Pepper, Wishnowsky

As I said above, there will be 2 changes tomorrow, with both J.Ward and Robinson going to IR-return and Kroft and Willis being brought back in. That'll mean we're gonna keep 4 TEs and 10 Dlinemen!

I like that we're keeping 9 Olinemen. I think we'll need the depth.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The initial roster is done. Some oddities in it.

3 QBs
5 RBs not including Juice
Only 5 WRs
All the healthy rookies but Castro Fields made the team
We're keeping a TON of Dlinemen

QB 3 Lance, Jimmy, Purdy
RB 5 Mitchell, Wilson, TDP, Sermon, Mason
FB 1 Juice
WR 5 Deebo, Aiyuk, Ray Ray, Jennings, Gray
TE 3 Kittle, Dwelley, Woerner
OL 9 Williams, Banks, Brendel, Burford, McGlinchey, Brunskill, McKivitz, J.Moore, N.Zakelj

DL 9 Bosa, Armstead, Kinlaw, Ebukam, Givens, Hyder, Jackson, Omenihu, Ridgeway
LB 6 AlShaair, Greenlaw, Warner, Burks, DFF, Robinson
CB 5 Moseley, C.Ward, A.Thomas, D.Lenoir, Womack
S 4 Hufanga, J.Ward, T.Moore, Odum

ST 3 Gould, Pepper, Wishnowsky

As I said above, there will be 2 changes tomorrow, with both J.Ward and Robinson going to IR-return and Kroft and Willis being brought back in. That'll mean we're gonna keep 4 TEs and 10 Dlinemen!

I like that we're keeping 9 Olinemen. I think we'll need the depth.
Would've been nice to add "depth" in the secondary, because that's an area where injury happens more. For example, J. Ward has gone back to his older injured days.

Why do we need four TE's? I know we want to give Kittle relief, but do we need 3 TE's to do that?

Other teams are cutting players too, MAYBE we look at other offensive linemen? I wouldn't purposely look to overspend on O-line, but if a player that's released makes sense (ie value)......do it now.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would've been nice to add "depth" in the secondary, because that's an area where injury happens more. For example, J. Ward has gone back to his older injured days.

Why do we need four TE's? I know we want to give Kittle relief, but do we need 3 TE's to do that?

Other teams are cutting players too, MAYBE we look at other offensive linemen? I wouldn't purposely look to overspend on O-line, but if a player that's released makes sense (ie value)......do it now.
I agree. We're already thin at safety with just 1 injury there and if Ward goes to IR-return, he'll be out for 4 weeks.

4 TEs is weird, but i think it signals that we're gonna be using more 2 TE sets. IIRC, that was your thought when it became clear that we only had 1 FB through the end of TC.

I saw some reports that the FO was watching some other teams for cuts on the IOL. Gotta hope we find something. We're definitely relying on some younger playrers (Moore, McKivitz, etc.) to show more than they have in the past.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some thoughts on the roster.

Last year, we had a rash of RB injuries. If that happens this year, we’ll be ready. Lots of depth. Mitchell missed 6 games last year and Wilson always gets hurt, so the rest of the backs will get their shot.

Since we’re gonna carry 4 TEs, 5 WRs, and only 1 FB, it sure looks like we’re gonna be using a lot more 2 TE, 1 RB sets than we did last year.

How long is it before D.Johnson is back on the team? We’ve already got injury concerns at safety with Ward being out, which leaves us with only 3 safeties on the team.

What happens when Verrett comes back after week 4? I’m sure we’ll find a roster spot for him, but who gets cut then?

Looks like Turay was cut b/c he can’t rush from inside, something the coaches were looking for from the backup Dlinemen. I don't think Turay goes through waivers, so he can sign wherever he wants. I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up on someone's 53 man roster.

Some internet talk that Zakelj made the team b/c of his versatility and perhaps b/c the coaches see him as a potential center in the future.

It’s crazy. Except for Castro Fields, ALL of the Niners draft picks from the last THREE years are on the team (Kalia Davis is on NFI list).
2020: Kinlaw, Aiyuk, McKivitz, Woerner, Jennings
2021: Lance, banks, Sermon, Thomas, Moore, Lenoir, Hufanga
2022: Jackson, TDP, Gray, Burford, Womack, Zakelj, Purdy

It’s high time to see something from all these mid-round “versatile” Olinemen—McKivitz, Moore, Burford, etc.

What is the PS gonna look like?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At 4pm ET today, teams can put players on IR-return and sign players to their practice squad.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners claim OL Blake Hance off of waivers from Cleveland, where he started 8 games last season. The Buffalo Bills signed Hance (6-6, 310) as an undrafted free agent out of Northwestern in 2019. He also spent time with the Washington Commanders (2019), Jacksonville Jaguars (2019-20), New York Jets (2020), and Cleveland Browns (2020-21).

Reportedly, Niners are going to sign WR Tay Martin, WR W.Snead, and CB Q.Knight to the PS.

Lions are signing QB N.Sudfeld.
Jags are signing RB J.Hasty.
Commies are signing CB T.Castro-Fields

Last edited:

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS so far is:

S T.Hawkins
S T.Gipson
LB Mcrary-Ball
OG Poe

WR Tay Martin
WR W.Snead
CB Q.Knight

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners reporting that the following are also on the PS:

DL Alex Barrett
OL Alfredo Gutierrez
DL Akeem Spence
OL Keaton Sutherland
DL Kemoko Turay
WR Malik Turner

Gotta say that landing Turay on the PS is lucky get for us. Great depth without taking up a roster spot.

No clue how Sutherland makes the PS. The guy stunk out loud.

Turner is a nice addition b/c of what he adds on ST, just in case of an injury there or at WR.

Still a few more slots to fill.