• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp 2022

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda thinking this Friday's game is gonna be pretty vanilla. Lance will probably look mediocre, as I'm guessing the gameplan will be to have him work on stuff where he needs improvement, regardless of the situation, in a real game environment. Lots of plays that require timing and accuracy, etc. Highly doubt that we'll see much RPO stuff, while I expect that'll be a huge part of the gameplan during the regular season.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far we're not getting a good feeling along the interior OL, no reports of either being 'solid'. There's still Pre-season to go, so maybe it shows up a little as a unit?
Just about every report I have found says that Burford is doing well at RG.

While banks and been up and down at LG, the biggest problem is at center. Neither Brunskill nor Brendel look like they're ready.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just about every report I have found says that Burford is doing well at RG.

While banks and been up and down at LG, the biggest problem is at center. Neither Brunskill nor Brendel look like they're ready.
Burford appears to be doing well for a 4th round pick from a small school, so his floor was low to begin with. His position coach (Chris Foerster?) said he thinks Burford will become a good starter someday, but 'someday' could be this year, next year, the year after, etc.

We'd expect Banks to have shown well by now, too bad the reports are he can't anchor.

At this point we were hoping - at least i did - Brendel would've established himself at Center. But seems like Brunskill is still fighting for that spot and if so, doesn't give us a good feeling?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some notes from the first preseason game.

Lance looked pretty ok out there. Good pocket presence and footwork. Looked natural. He dropped the long TD pass in the bucket for Gray. The only incompletion was on an out route that he put too far in front of the WR for him to catch it and come down in bounds. Had he thrown that one a little earlier, it's a completion. He took off and ran and then made a natural slide. Nice. Overall, a promising day for him. A good video breakdown

Gray catches passes with his body. That is not a good thing. It's a recipe for dropped balls and INTs.

Sermon couldn't run all that well and TDP dropped a quick pass that hit him in both hands. Looking like Mitchell and Wilson could actually be the top 2 RBs ahead of both of our 3rd rounders.

Neither Brunskill nor Brendel distinguished themselves at Center. Looks like Brunskill injured himself during the game and could be out a couple of weeks, which could mean handing the job to Brendel. I noticed that West got some time at center near the end of the game. Didn't look bad against the 3s.

Sutherland (OT and OC) and Skule (OT) stunk, while Mcivitz and recent-pickup Mills did ok at OT (I'm thinking both make the team to be the backup OTs with Brunskill as the utility interior Olineman).

Womack showed up in a big way. Didn't see that coming. Another game like that and he could find himself ahead of Dennard at NCB. Hollman got murdered at CB. He wasn't going to make the team anyway, but wow that was bad. Lenoir outplayed Thomas, which has been the trend in camp too.

DT K.Turay looked good out there, continuing his positive play from camp. Looking like he's gonna make the team.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners already releasing a few players ahead of cut down day.

CB D.Dennard
FB Josh Hokit
WR KeeSean Johnson
DL Tomasi Laulile

Releasing Dennard looks like the team is comfortable with Womack and Lenoire at NCB.

Also waived S L.O'Neal off of IR with an injury settlement.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Hokit getting cut, who is going to play FB for the rest of TC and PS? Other than Juice, is there another FB on the roster?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With Hokit getting cut, who is going to play FB for the rest of TC and PS? Other than Juice, is there another FB on the roster?
MAYBE Shanahan isn't worried because should Juice get hurt, his offense can still function with 3 WR sets? Or with 12 sets?

They have to concentrate the offense to 'game conditions', and less back-up player evaluation.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners release DT R.Nkemdiche to get down to the 85 man roster limit.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From joint practices with the Vikings:
The OL didn't have a good day. Few running lanes inside and it gave up several instances of pass pressure. McKivitz in particular had a rough day.

Still, Lance had a pretty good day. Depending on the report you tead, he was 11 of 16 on the day. In 7 on 7, he hit yet another bomb to Danny Gray, hit Aiyuk and Jennings (who caught the ball!), etc. In a team session, on a 4th down and 10, he was flushed from the pocket and hit Deebo for a 30 yarder. Plenty to be optimistic about with Lance's TC and preseason so far.

Rookie Nick Zakelj taking some snaps at center for the first time. Could they be looking at job flexibility for him, since he's likely headed to the PS (no chance at making the team).

S G.Odom picked off Cousins during a team session. Might be a prelude ot opening day b/c it doesn't look like Ward will be able to start in week 1. So it'll either be Odom or Moore at FS.

Naturally, our Cbs struggled since both our 3 best CBs didn't play (Ward, Moseley, Verrett) and Minny's WRs are pretty good. Ken Crawly and Deommodore Lenoir were the teams starting CBs on the day with Tarvarius Moore/George Odom at safety next to Hufanga.

Our DL had a very nice day, consistently collapsing the pocket. There's a video out there of Kinlaw pancaking one of the Viking OGs.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2nd day of joint practices saw the Niner Defense play quite well and the Niner offense sputter.

Lance hit some big plays, clutch plays in the team session, but he struggled to hit crossing routes accurately. Passes to Ray Ray and Deebo were behind the receiver. Ray Ray caught his, but Deebo’s was tipped and intercepted.

Danny Gray continued to show up well. His speed was tough for the Vikings DBs to handle. OTOH, Aiyuk almost disappeared in these joint practices (naturally, he called the joint sessions “boring” and a “waste of time”).

TDP showed some nice runs while getting plenty of PT. He’s got to learn how to catch though.

McKivitz struggled out there at RT. Is he better on the left side or is he strictly an OG?

Bosa registered between 4 and 6 would-be sacks and a couple of TFL. He was nearly unblockable. Jackson looked good as well and Turay showed up a few times.

Womack and Knight both played well at NCB, and Knight looked ok in his time at Safety. Knight got a sack, an INT, and a pbu in the end zone. Womack looks like he’s the starting NCB. Unfortunately our outside CBs were taken to school by Jefferson and Thielen (our backup outside CBs).

As an aside,
Niners FB Josh Hokit was signed as a TE by the Cards. It makes sense for them since they’re VERY thin at TE right now (Ertz, Williams, and Anderson all out of the next PS game). I'd expect him to eventually get cut by the Cards and once again end up on the Niner PS.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NINERS GET TO 80 PLAYERS
With Verrett on the PUP list, he's out for the first 4 weeks of the season, but it also lets us save a roster spot at a rather crowded CB spot.

DT Kalia Davis was put on the NFI list.

Niners also waived:
TE T.Hudson
LB J.Gemmel
OT S.Schleuter (injury designation)

Final preseason game tomorrow.

Niners are a week away from final cut down day when we Gotta drop from 80 players to 53. Guys like Sermon and Skule should be very nervous (poor camps and shaky PS play).

There is increasing talk that J.Poe could make the 53 man roster. He's reportedly getting some 1st team reps at LG. After a rather shaky start to camp, he's shown steady improvement

The last LB spot might come down to either DFF or McCrary-Ball.

IN OTHER NEWS:
The Cards cut former Niner FB J.Hokit. Is he headed to the Niner PS yet again? We'll know next week.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NINERS GET TO 80 PLAYERS
With Verrett on the PUP list, he's out for the first 4 weeks of the season, but it also lets us save a roster spot at a rather crowded CB spot.

DT Kalia Davis was put on the NFI list.

Niners also waived:
TE T.Hudson
LB J.Gemmel
OT S.Schleuter (injury designation)

Final preseason game tomorrow.

Niners are a week away from final cut down day when we Gotta drop from 80 players to 53. Guys like Sermon and Skule should be very nervous (poor camps and shaky PS play).

There is increasing talk that J.Poe could make the 53 man roster. He's reportedly getting some 1st team reps at LG. After a rather shaky start to camp, he's shown steady improvement

The last LB spot might come down to either DFF or McCrary-Ball.

IN OTHER NEWS:
The Cards cut former Niner FB J.Hokit. Is he headed to the Niner PS yet again? We'll know next week.
Yeah... gotta like the Verrett move in the long term. Give him time to fully recover and save the roster spot for down the road.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Sermon isn't gonna make it. With TDP and Hasty showing the way they have, he seems to be on the outside looking in. Man, TDP runs "angry", and Hasty looks like he's gained vision in the offseason - had some really nice runs in the Vikes game. Skule has been a mess - coming off an injury, maybe they give him more time given our lack of depth on the Oline, but maybe not with Poe showing like he has?

Love the updates @Niner Outlaw... keep 'em coming!

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TE Tanner Hudson waived by the Niners, picked up by the NYG.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LB J.Gemmel picked up by the Broncs after Niners waived him.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking like the final roster spots are going to come down to:

RB. The first 3 are set with Mitchell, Wilson, and TDP, but the 4th/5th will be some combo of Sermon/Hasty/Mason. If Sermon wasn't a 3rd rd pick, he'd be gone already, but he is, so I think he gets a spot. Do we keep Mason on the roster or chance waiving him?

WR. If we keep 6, looks like M.Turner will be #6 b/c of his ST play.

LB. The last spot looks like it'll come down to DFF or McCrary-Ball.

OL. Backup OT and the last OG spot. At OT, will it be Moore or Mills? This one has a lot of moving parts, but since Moore has been injured all of TC, does he make the roster or does he start off on the PUP? Mills has outplayed our other backup RTs. As for OG, we've got Burford and Banks and Brunskill can play RG...but does Poe make it as the backup "swing" OG? He played the first PS game at RG and then played the 2nd PS game at LG and did at least OK at both.

DL. If we only keep 9 DLinemen, then the last spot could come down to Hyder or Ridgeway. Do we keep an extra edge player or keep the extra DT? With our depth at DE and the injuyr history of Kinlaw, we almost have to keep Ridgeway, don't we?

DB. Does D.Johnson make the roster as a utility DB? He has played most of the TC at safety, but we know he can play CB in a pinch.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I'm the least bit surprised at the piss poor play of pour interior O-line. Is there been a worse team at drafting and developing interior lineman?

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any updates on final cutdowns with the Niners? I know West was cut, am hoping they stash him on PS. He's a pretty athletic C from our ASU pipeline.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I'm the least bit surprised at the piss poor play of pour interior O-line. Is there been a worse team at drafting and developing interior lineman?
I agree. Look at our OL--the 3 best players on it the last few years were all either FA signings (Mack, Tomlinson) or trades (T.Williams). That's sad.

Apparently, we're bringing in interior OL for workouts and have been exploring trades for more IOL help.

Every fan knew we had needs at center, but then the team neither signs one in FA nor drafts one. And yet the FO seems shocked that OC is such a concern now. Smh.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any updates on final cutdowns with the Niners? I know West was cut, am hoping they stash him on PS. He's a pretty athletic C from our ASU pipeline.
The word from camp was that West wasn't strong enough. A season on the PS might be just the thing to help him develop.

The cutdown news from SF is basically nothing. Only 3 guys cut so far.
CB K.Hollman
CB K.Crawley
OC D.West

I'm shocked Sutherland wasn't among the first rd of cuts. He stunk out loud at both OG and OC.

With Jimmy taking up a roster spot, we might carry 3 QBs since Sudfeld had 2M guaranteed on his deal, so that'll hurt our roster flexibility some.