• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trading for #1 Overall Pick

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is no way any GM trades 3 Pro Bowl caliber young players along with 2 firsts for an unknown commodity. Luck might be a very good QB in the NFL but I would trade Luck for that Haul all day.

Furthermore, we should consider collecting a bunch of first next year in hopes that we get a team who struggles and we can go after Barkley. Since future 1st's are worth considerably less than current first.

no one is going to take the 30th pick of round 2 in return for a 1st next draft. even if you add in our 3rd rounder, just don't see someone taking it? so, you must be referring to our 1st round pick, the 30th overall.

i'd think its a small chance we'd trade it, but ok, still a chance. the drop off in talent would have to be pretty large by the time we reach 30th. but if this is the case, why would someone else want it?

the premise of doing it for Barkley isn't realistic, cause if Barkley is so good, he'll be gone 1st, 2nd, or 3rd overall.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plenty of qb's fall outside of the top 10. but considering where barkley plays he should be top 5 unless he puts up a landry jones stinker.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we would only do it if the drop off in talent was large, so large we don't feel we'd get talent worth the 30th pick. this is saying the next draft class is really, REALLY bad?

[obviously, 'large' would defined by OUR board]

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if konz, dwayne allen and glenn are gone i wouldn't mind tradng the 30th pick for a future 1st. some qb hungrey team might be willing to pull the trigger if tannehil is still there. maybe foles will fly up the board after workouts.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if konz, dwayne allen and glenn are gone i wouldn't mind tradng the 30th pick for a future 1st. some qb hungrey team might be willing to pull the trigger if tannehil is still there. maybe foles will fly up the board after workouts.

hard to believe the board will be that 'bare', but IF it is fine. cause it doesn't make sense to draft someone who isn't worth the 30th pick.

so the next question is with whom? Baalke would have to have good odds it becomes a pick much higher than 30th? whats 'much higher'? i'll say he projects no worse than 20th pick of 2013?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do people even bring this stuff up? No player ever has been or will be worth your entire draft or most your draft and several of your star players. Joe Montana himself is not worth it, and not because he's not great. Think of all the players that you lose out on it by losing those picks. Andrew Luck may end up being a great QB, but their have been many can't miss QB prospects that never lived up to the hype. Even if Luck turns out to be as great as they think he will be it's still not worth the price.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hard to believe the board will be that 'bare', but IF it is fine. cause it doesn't make sense to draft someone who isn't worth the 30th pick.

so the next question is with whom? Baalke would have to have good odds it becomes a pick much higher than 30th? whats 'much higher'? i'll say he projects no worse than 20th pick of 2013?

doesn't matter if it's 31st and 21st. pick up the extra day 2 pick and a 1st next year to help move around the draft at that point if needed.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
doesn't matter if it's 31st and 21st. pick up the extra day 2 pick and a 1st next year to help move around the draft at that point if needed.

again, hard to believe the board will be THAT bare?

so if another play-off team picking late offers a trade, you take it? say the Baltimore Ravens picking 29th offer their 1st and 2nd in 2013, you take it?
cause the odds are high their 1st and hence 2nd round picks, will be late 20's.

i guess this beats undervalue with the 30th, if its THAT bare?

also, you're assuming we can get these two 'later' picks and move up, cause the idea is to move up and get in position for a QB. no one has to trade down with us.

if you trade with say Minnesota or Jacksonville, odds are you'll be high to start with.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'll do the trade with baltimore if there isn't anything better. ideally i want to move up for konz, which would mean ahead of detroit. there's just too many blah prospects in the early 2nd.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here is my list of guys i'd like for the 49ers to draft if we stay with the 30th pick

Mohamed Sanu wr

Stephen Gilmore cb

Alfonzo Dennard, CB

Michael Floyd, WR

Kendell wright WR

Mark Barron, SS

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why do people even bring this stuff up? No player ever has been or will be worth your entire draft or most your draft and several of your star players. Joe Montana himself is not worth it, and not because he's not great. Think of all the players that you lose out on it by losing those picks. Andrew Luck may end up being a great QB, but their have been many can't miss QB prospects that never lived up to the hype. Even if Luck turns out to be as great as they think he will be it's still not worth the price.

these things are brought up cause we're not in the superbowl, and its too early for the heavy draft talk.

from next week on, it'll be draft, draft, and more draft for over two months.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here is my list of guys i'd like for the 49ers to draft if we stay with the 30th pick

Mohamed Sanu wr

Stephen Gilmore cb

Alfonzo Dennard, CB

Michael Floyd, WR

Kendell wright WR

Mark Barron, SS

if one of these guys are the best value, yeah do it. ideally its WR but don't "force" one.

for me, if the best value happens to be an OG or TE (Stanford guy), do it. not pushing for an OG or TE, but if it pans out best, fine.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know what you're talking about, trading everything for Herschel Walker worked out great for the Vikings... and trading everything for Ricky Williams turned the Saints into Champions.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if one of these guys are the best value, yeah do it. ideally its WR but don't "force" one.

for me, if the best value happens to be an OG or TE (Stanford guy), do it. not pushing for an OG or TE, but if it pans out best, fine.

we got davis and walker why would you want to draft a TE?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what you're talking about, trading everything for Herschel Walker worked out great for the Vikings... and trading everything for Ricky Williams turned the Saints into Champions.

Turned the Cowboys into champions

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we got davis and walker why would you want to draft a TE?

walker isn't all that good. a guy like dwayne allen could be the red zone target we need to make this offense click.

KingJeglum

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'd think its a small chance we'd trade it, but ok, still a chance. the drop off in talent would have to be pretty large by the time we reach 30th. but if this is the case, why would someone else want it?

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Teams will trade draft picks to get better now kind of how we collected an extra first with the Panthers(i think) a few years back.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is no way any GM trades 3 Pro Bowl caliber young players along with 2 firsts for an unknown commodity. Luck might be a very good QB in the NFL but I would trade Luck for that Haul all day.

Furthermore, we should consider collecting a bunch of first next year in hopes that we get a team who struggles and we can go after Barkley. Since future 1st's are worth considerably less than current first.

I would trade our 2nd for a 1st next year in a heartbeat.