• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade for Josh Willingham

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford for Gardner is what I'm hearing.

I just read on ESPN that Gardner is most likely off the market. No way the Giants make that deal anyway.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that baseball is a business, but how can we possibly be thinking of trading Brandon Crawford. Ever.

628x471.jpg

I was at the Stick that day when this picture was taken. It was a sad day as you could see in Brandon Crawford's eyes . Who would of known he would grow up to be the Giants shortstop in SF.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the Stick that day when this picture was taken. It was a sad day as you could see in Brandon Crawford's eyes . Who would of known he would grow up to be the Giants shortstop in SF.

My brother has quite a collection of T-shirts from 92 (he's been a season ticket holder since the 80s). He has a "Saint Petersburg Giants" T, and a "1992 Giants farewell tour" T, and one he bought at Wrigley that year (that I can't remember what it says) - he went to a *bunch* of SF Giants away games that year, several in ChiTown. I have never seen my brother so depressed as in 1992 - not even the year before, the year of and the year after his divorce (seriously).

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conversely, he was giddy when the new ownership group announced signing Barry Bonds.

DK7000

Busting Posey's
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about going after Mark Trumbo and moving him or Belt to LF?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gardner is the guy I want. Really a great fit for us

Shae is saying the G's shoud go after Icharo. I am not sure why. At this point, Shark is a much better option.

I like the idea of Gardner, but I am not sure I like the idea of parting with Craw. Adrianza is still a huge question mark and Craw is a great guy to have in the org because if his back-story (and his play, of course).

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trumbo I've thought about - he would be an excellent (offensive) platoon partner for Blanco, as he kills LHP. He could start against lefties and #4/#5 righties. But he is another guy with questionable defensive skills. He's definitely no Dunn (or Willingham) in the field, but he's also nowhere close to a Blanco, either.

As the years go by, I have been giving more importance to defense. There definitely would not have been a perfect game in SF without Blanco. And probably not a Timmy no-hitter in San Diego in '13 had Blanco not been in the OF all game long. Dunn has long been my poster child for "bad defense negating amazing power" . Trumbo is pretty much a one trick poney as well (but not as bad as Dunn). Trumbo doesn't hit for AVG, he doesn't steal bases, career OBP under .300, not much of a glove. But he DOES hit HRs. 34 HRs and 100 RBI this past season. How does a guy with 34 HRs and 100 RBI end up with a WAR of 2.2? (Hint: really bad defense). Blanco had a higher WAR than Trumbo in 2013. Belt (17 HRs, 65 RBI) had twice the WAR of Trumbo.

Trumbo is perfectly suited to the DH role in the A.L. If he were cheap (say, came up through our system) then I'd definitely play him. But people over-rate HRs so much that it is going to cost to have Trumbo on our team - first the prospect(s) to get him, then the piles of dough he'll get in arb. All those judges are going to see is wow : "34 HRs last year, and 32 the year before that. $7M." (which, arguably, isn't bad for 2.2 WAR if he were a FA). But I don't think I'd be able to stomach the poor defense in left on a regular basis. I remember how I felt going from JT Snow to Lance Niekro and then Shea Hillenbrand, then Ryan Klesko. My mantra for those years was "J.T. woulda had that one". I don't want to be saying "Blanco woulda gotten to that one" all year long.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shae is saying the G's shoud go after Icharo. I am not sure why. At this point, Shark is a much better option.

I like the idea of Gardner, but I am not sure I like the idea of parting with Craw. Adrianza is still a huge question mark and Craw is a great guy to have in the org because if his back-story (and his play, of course).

I don't want to touch Ichiiro. A 40-year-old OF, no thanks

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I say no to Ichiro. The only benefits I see to that are increased marketing in Japan, and *maybe* a leg up to convince Tanaka to sign here. But Blanco has better offense AND defense than Ichiro at this point.

Regarding Gardner, I would NOT trade 4 years of Crawford for one season of Gardner. Crawford is somewhat of a question mark as well, concerning his offense. He was hitting a LOT better for most of the year, but then ended the season in a tailspin. If he can hit for 'average' or a little better (OPS+ 100-110) then his glove makes him a 'plus' player, esp considering the Giants "pitching and defense" strategy. Until Adrianza has proven himself (and while Craw is still dirt cheap) we stick with Brandon.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to touch Ichiiro. A 40-year-old OF, no thanks

Ichiro's OPS the last three years: .645, .696, .639

He even has a negative dWAR 4 of the last 5 years.

I have huge respect for the man and what he has done, but now, I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot chopstick

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wrote he had a off year. Does that mean he is done?

I get it that you don't like him. Come up with something better. I am open to any trade you come up with. You also don't need to knock me or my poems for being a Giants fan.

Later.

I never knock your poems. And it wasn't an "off year," he's done as a regular player. He needs to stay in the AL where he can DH.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never knock your poems. And it wasn't an "off year," he's done as a regular player. He needs to stay in the AL where he can DH.

To be fair, that's what they said about Pat the Bat after 2009.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love it if my team signed Willingham and we had him in LF.

Just saying

If your team was any good they'd have to be more discriminating. Like we do.

:becky:

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pagan is slow to break on the ball. He is an average CF. Sometimes he makes spectacular catches, and he feels like an above-average CF. Blanco might be slightly above average, but I think Pagan has a stronger arm. That being said, I don't want to see Pagan or Blanco next to a below average or "less mobile than Pill" rotational LF.

Corey Hart may be as immobile as I would sanction (like that matters), and only because he crushes left-handed pitchers (.896 OPS in 1,025 PAs) and his power is more to the gaps than down the line (great for the park). I like trading for Gardner or De Aza (though, the latter may be no better than some combination of Blanco, Pill and JCP) or signing Gutierrez. I would possibly consider LoMo, but the core player reps would have to sign off on that one based on his comments about Buster and his general unpleasantness. Either way, yes, I'm in the leave Willingham alone camp. In a division with smaller ballparks, I would consider his assets, but not in the NL West.