• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade for Joe Thomas?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rankins would fill three needs. Run stuffer at DT, pass rusher at DT, and can chip in at DE quiet nicely. So the chances are not good he'll be available.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much as I hate the idea, I think it's Rankins or trade back. Don't agree that don't value protection, as much as they don't believe OL draft choices can provide much. The quality of OL has been terrible for a few years, with these spread offenses that has the QB going 1,2 3 throw or run. OL really doesn't learn how to really pass block in the NFL.

We shall see... I still strongly believe this team isn't going OL in the first round (nor should they, as the OL prospects late 1st are not that great). I get every mock on the planet is saying, "Oh Seattle loves Ifedi blah blah blah" and while I wouldn't be upset with that at all, I just see Seattle bolstering the interior D-Line.

The Interior D-Line and lack of pass pressure is IMO why Seattle didn't repeat. Even when Seattle's O pulled their heads out of their butt at an away Carolina game, it was the lack of pressure on Newton that lost us that game.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall see... I still strongly believe this team isn't going OL in the first round (nor should they, as the OL prospects late 1st are not that great). I get every mock on the planet is saying, "Oh Seattle loves Ifedi blah blah blah" and while I wouldn't be upset with that at all, I just see Seattle bolstering the interior D-Line.

The Interior D-Line and lack of pass pressure is IMO why Seattle didn't repeat. Even when Seattle's O pulled their heads out of their butt at an away Carolina game, it was the lack of pressure on Newton that lost us that game.
The interior line can be bolster later, other then a Rankins type and no that's not why the Seahawks didn't repeat. They have invested in players like Clark, Hill and Marsh for interior play. Clark looked promising, Hill could be if health and maybe Marsh can develope.

The main reason they didn't repeat is the OL, no doubt in my mind. A OLl that has the offense functioning will keep drives alive, move the chains and be a blessing to the defense.

As far as that Carolina game, to me just highlighted the OL problem. Never would have fell behind like that with a good OL.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The interior line can be bolster later, other then a Rankins type and no that's not why the Seahawks didn't repeat. They have invested in players like Clark, Hill and Marsh for interior play. Clark looked promising, Hill could be if health and maybe Marsh can develope.

The main reason they didn't repeat is the OL, no doubt in my mind. A OLl that has the offense functioning will keep drives alive, move the chains and be a blessing to the defense.

Guess we'll disagree on those points, but no harm/no foul. Just a disagreement.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem, I enjoy a debate.

One thing is for certain, I will not miss Okung's false starts. The most of any Seahawk and he missed 3 games. For some reason I can tolerate holding a bit more since at least when you get away with it, it breaks open plays. And when you're 1st/20 etc. your mentality of the offensive possession changes a bit more.

False starts are just drive killers though. And I SWEAR to God the refs missed/let slide SO many early jumps by Okung. If I was a non-Seahawk fan watching my team I'd be raging SO hard at Okung. I swear he false started at least 2-3 times a game.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing is for certain, I will not miss Okung's false starts. The most of any Seahawk and he missed 3 games. For some reason I can tolerate holding a bit more since at least when you get away with it, it breaks open plays. And when you're 1st/20 etc. your mentality of the offensive possession changes a bit more.

False starts are just drive killers though. And I SWEAR to God the refs missed/let slide SO many early jumps by Okung. If I was a non-Seahawk fan watching my team I'd be raging SO hard at Okung. I swear he false started at least 2-3 times a game.
He didn't commit that many last year. Most of his penaltys are at the start of the season or after missing games due to injuries. A slow starter IMO. Given the fail rate of OL now a days, I felt he was worth bringing back. However I guess the Seahawks felt otherwise, because it seems they made little effort to bring in back.

How can you root for not bringing back starting OL or drafting OL ( at least not high) to replace him? Do you not worry about RW well being?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing is for certain, I will not miss Okung's false starts. The most of any Seahawk and he missed 3 games.

People complain about Okung's penalties (especially false starts) but they weren't all that bad. in 2015 he had 4 in 13 games - which is 1 in every 3+ games. That number was just 12th among OTs, tied with 9 others. Yes, it was the most on the Seahawks line, but every starter outside of center had at least 3, and overall, Gilliam was the only one with fewer overall penalties (1) and he had the easier position to play.

Tackles are notorious for false starts. Even when they aren't called, I would estimate nearly 1/4 of all pass plays have at least one of the tackles start early. Even the best tackles in the business get called for false starts. Joe Thomas (9x Pro Bowl; 6 x All Pro) has 39 false starts in 9 years (4.3 per season).

False starts can be frustrating, but I am more concerned with whether we're losing protection (and run blocking as well) than I am about whether we're gonna see a decline in false starts from the LT position, because my guess is that no matter who we have there, we'll still see 4-7 over the course of the season.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People complain about Okung's penalties (especially false starts) but they weren't all that bad. in 2015 he had 4 in 13 games - which is 1 in every 3+ games. That number was just 12th among OTs, tied with 9 others. Yes, it was the most on the Seahawks line, but every starter outside of center had at least 3, and overall, Gilliam was the only one with fewer overall penalties (1) and he had the easier position to play.

Tackles are notorious for false starts. Even when they aren't called, I would estimate nearly 1/4 of all pass plays have at least one of the tackles start early. Even the best tackles in the business get called for false starts. Joe Thomas (9x Pro Bowl; 6 x All Pro) has 39 false starts in 9 years (4.3 per season).

False starts can be frustrating, but I am more concerned with whether we're losing protection (and run blocking as well) than I am about whether we're gonna see a decline in false starts from the LT position, because my guess is that no matter who we have there, we'll still see 4-7 over the course of the season.
Good points.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, to further the point. Sweezy and Britt both had 3 false starts, which ties them both for 4th worst in the NFL among interior linemen (3rd among guards). So was Okung's 4 (again a ten way tie for 12th) really all that bad when we talk about him leading the team in that category?

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Lynch still counting against our cap? What if we were to cut him outright, would that save us cap space?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Lynch still counting against our cap? What if we were to cut him outright, would that save us cap space?
They could cut him now and have a additional 6 million in cap space and 5 million in dead money. If they wait until June 1st they can spread the dead money over two years.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could cut him now and have a additional 6 million in cap space and 5 million in dead money. If they wait until June 1st they can spread the dead money over two years.
I think the team can cut him now if they want and designate him as a post-June 1 cut anyway. However, if he's cut then he can go play for another team immediately. If he retires, not the case.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem is, that with our top 51 and our projected draft costs, we're already in the hole when it comes to salary cap (by 83,716, over 3 million with all contracts). Trading for Joe Thomas would mean (even with cutting Lynch) that we will have to generate more cap space by cutting people.