• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade deadline approaches

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maaaaaaaaaaaaan. Carmelo is a great player, but I don't know if he's a fit with us. He'd be great as a half court option for us, but he's a ball stopper. Sometimes I watch him in awe, and sometimes it's in utter frustration. And that's being just a casual fan watching.

Also do you risk blowing up the team for him? He would have to agree to an extension before any moves would be made.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be very nice to do that trade for New York, but I don't think it is in the Warriors' best interests.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maaaaaaaaaaaaan. Carmelo is a great player, but I don't know if he's a fit with us. He'd be great as a half court option for us, but he's a ball stopper. Sometimes I watch him in awe, and sometimes it's in utter frustration. And that's being just a casual fan watching.

Also do you risk blowing up the team for him? He would have to agree to an extension before any moves would be made.

Agreed. The best game the Warriors played all season was the last one against the Clippers where the ball movement was constant and a thing of beauty. There is no chance of that happening on any team that Anthony plays for.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this 3-team trade between the Warriors, Knicks and Bobcats:

Warriors Trade: David Lee, Klay Thompson, Mo Speights & Nemanja Nedovic
Warriors Receive: Carmelo Anthony & Cody Zeller

Bobcats trade: Ben Gordon, Cody Zeller & Future 1st RD Pick
Bobcats receive: David Lee & Nemanja Nedovic

Knicks trade: Carmelo Anthony
Knicks receive: Ben Gordon, Klay Thompson, Mo Speights & Future 1st RD Pick.

Warriors would be able to keep Barnes in this deal and could put him back into the starting lineup. Melo would play the stretch 4 that he's been playing in NY. We don't lose much on defense because Lee isn't great to begin with. The Warriors lose two starters but remain keeping a core of Curry, AI, Barnes & Bogut intact. Warriors also get a young center/power forward with lots of upside to develop. This trade would put the Warriors into the tax, but can negotiate with Melo on an extension that would give some flexibility. Worst case scenario is that Melo leaves and we essentially trade Klay & Lee for Zeller and 20M in cap space to hunt for a big name free agent.

Bobcats do this trade because they're just on the fringe of being a playoff team. Getting David Lee immediately vaults them into the playoffs and gives a dangerous high post option to pair along with Jefferson and Kemba a P&R partner. They give up an expiring contract, Zeller who hasn't had much production with them and a future first, which they were shopping in the first place.

Knicks do this trade because they're getting rid of a guy who's not committed to them long term and will likely opt out this off season. They get a haul back of Klay Thompson, 1st RD pick and a 13M expiring contract. They also save a good chunk of money taking back less salary and saving on the luxury tax. Probably the best deal they would likely get on the market for Melo right now.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this 3-team trade between the Warriors, Knicks and Bobcats:

Warriors Trade: David Lee, Klay Thompson, Mo Speights & Nemanja Nedovic
Warriors Receive: Carmelo Anthony & Cody Zeller

Bobcats trade: Ben Gordon, Cody Zeller & Future 1st RD Pick
Bobcats receive: David Lee & Nemanja Nedovic

Knicks trade: Carmelo Anthony
Knicks receive: Ben Gordon, Klay Thompson, Mo Speights & Future 1st RD Pick.

Warriors would be able to keep Barnes in this deal and could put him back into the starting lineup. Melo would play the stretch 4 that he's been playing in NY. We don't lose much on defense because Lee isn't great to begin with. The Warriors lose two starters but remain keeping a core of Curry, AI, Barnes & Bogut intact. Warriors also get a young center/power forward with lots of upside to develop. This trade would put the Warriors into the tax, but can negotiate with Melo on an extension that would give some flexibility. Worst case scenario is that Melo leaves and we essentially trade Klay & Lee for Zeller and 20M in cap space to hunt for a big name free agent.

Bobcats do this trade because they're just on the fringe of being a playoff team. Getting David Lee immediately vaults them into the playoffs and gives a dangerous high post option to pair along with Jefferson and Kemba a P&R partner. They give up an expiring contract, Zeller who hasn't had much production with them and a future first, which they were shopping in the first place.

Knicks do this trade because they're getting rid of a guy who's not committed to them long term and will likely opt out this off season. They get a haul back of Klay Thompson, 1st RD pick and a 13M expiring contract. They also save a good chunk of money taking back less salary and saving on the luxury tax. Probably the best deal they would likely get on the market for Melo right now.

I don't like it. Curry and Anthony cannot co-exist.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry PG
Iguodala SG
Barnes SF
Carmelo PF
Bogut C

That lineup can win the west IMO. I'm sure they're exploring the option but I doubt it happens.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry+Carmelo would probably almost just be as deadly as KD and Westbrook

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry PG
Iguodala SG
Barnes SF
Carmelo PF
Bogut C

That lineup can win the west IMO. I'm sure they're exploring the option but I doubt it happens.

No, they'd have a slightly better starting 5 and an even worse bench with Barnes a starter. They might improve by 3-4 wins but they aren't good enough to challenge OKC, or SA, and the now healthy Clippers look pretty good too.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry PG
Iguodala SG
Barnes SF
Carmelo PF
Bogut C

With that lineup this team all of the sudden goes from being young and exciting to old and fragile

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With that lineup this team all of the sudden goes from being young and exciting to old and fragile

Wrong again. Barnes is over 2 years younger than Thompson, and Melo is younger than Lee. That hypothetical starting 5 is younger.

So, even when you're right (to have doubts about this trade) you're wrong.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again, we perhaps improve the starters slightly (does Anthony score so much better than Lee that it makes up for less rebounding and team oriented ball movement?) and deplete the bench further (Barnes gone).

It's fun to think about bringing in a big star and I'm not expert enough to say for sure if that's a bad idea but it's not a slam dunk (pun intended)

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, we perhaps improve the starters slightly (does Anthony score so much better than Lee that it makes up for less rebounding and team oriented ball movement?) and deplete the bench further (Barnes gone).

It's fun to think about bringing in a big star and I'm not expert enough to say for sure if that's a bad idea but it's not a slam dunk (pun intended)

Slightly ? No improve a lot more!

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting back to the topic. Nash is Done?

Could hasten LAL's desire to retool, how about this bad boy?

1) Free's up Dubs from Lee's salary
2) Lakers get a K. Love, lets face it, he's going to end up there one way or the other
3) Dubs get a larger, 4/5 they can plug in
4) MINN get's something in return instead of loving Love for zip.

Get'er done LaGruberWestMyr

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting back to the topic. Nash is Done?

Could hasten LAL's desire to retool, how about this bad boy?

1) Free's up Dubs from Lee's salary
2) Lakers get a K. Love, lets face it, he's going to end up there one way or the other
3) Dubs get a larger, 4/5 they can plug in
4) MINN get's something in return instead of loving Love for zip.

Get'er done LaGruberWestMyr

Hell no to pau gasol, we need a star for Barnes and lee

Last edited by a moderator: