• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Alex Smith for........

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our passing game is OK. Nothing great, but that's because we don't have a great QB. His blocking schemes are a huge reason why we're one of the best running teams in the league, however.

Regardless, I think you'll get your wish this off-season. He's a hot commodity and I think he's as good as gone.

I hope not in the "McCarthy" mold. That would make me angry for wanting him gone.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Maybe I need to research a bit, but weren't we as good rushing the ball before he got here?

If Gore is injured, are we having this same conversation?

In 2010, the Niners averaged 4.1 YPA, which was 17th in the NFL. Last year was about the same, but this year the Niners are averaging 5.2 YPA, which is 2nd in the NFL behind the Vikings.

And if Gore were injured, I'm sure the numbers would be worse. I think that goes without saying.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2010, the Niners averaged 4.1 YPA, which was 17th in the NFL. Last year was about the same, but this year the Niners are averaging 5.2 YPA, which is 2nd in the NFL behind the Vikings.

And if Gore were injured, I'm sure the numbers would be worse. I think that goes without saying.

My bad. Didn't think he was that good.

I still think we need more out of the passing game, and I can't put everything on the QB situation. Smith or Kaep.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I need to research a bit, but weren't we as good rushing the ball before he got here?

If Gore is injured, are we having this same conversation?

Hmm. So you're gonna fault Roman for not having a great QB, and now you want take his top-5 RB away? How about we take away Joe Staley and Vernon Davis too while we're at it?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Welcome back Norv Turner? I hope so.

There's nobody's system I'd rather watch or have my favorite team run than Turner's. He might be my favorite offensive coordinator that I've ever watched in my lifetime.

However, like I said the other day to somebody, I would be stunned if Harbaugh would want or advocate going for Turner. They are pretty different for many, many reasons. I don't think at Turner's age he'd find the set-up in San Francisco ideal for him either.

I'm not sure many of the assistants are good fits for Turner either. I'm not a huge fan of Harbaugh's entire staff as individuals (Nolan's assistant coaching staff as individuals was continually top level in my opinion), but there seems to be, or there reportedly is something very good about the way they work and come together to get things done. If Turner were around, it might take a while until Harbaugh and Turner find the right kind of men that could mesh real well with the two of those guys.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm. So you're gonna fault Roman for not having a great QB, and now you want take his top-5 RB away? How about we take away Joe Staley and Vernon Davis too while we're at it?

We have taken away Davis, unless you're referring to him as a blocker.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And since there wasn't a great time to bring it up before, it's ridiculous to me that maybe my favorite offensive mind in the NFL (Turner) and one of my all-time favorite defensive minds in the NFL (Rex Ryan) both may be available to a team. Very unlikely they both end up in the same place, but that would be my ultimate dream with the right head coach.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The running game is the reason Kaep is playing so well in the first place. He's still not playing like an all-pro', but the Troy Aikman effect is definitely occurring. That has a lot to do with Roman's scheme. It has a lot to do with the fact that the Niners have the best OL in the NFL as well, but I think both factors are equally important.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And since there wasn't a great time to bring it up before, it's ridiculous to me that maybe my favorite offensive mind in the NFL (Turner) and one of my all-time favorite defensive minds in the NFL (Rex Ryan) both may be available to a team. Very unlikely they both end up in the same place, but that would be my ultimate dream with the right head coach.

Rex DC, Norv OC...

Cowher, Billick, Gruden.

Or are we talking an up-and-comer?

Still. With the right situation (Carolina) that could be a dream team.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Roman is one of the best OCs in the NFL. His playcalling is bi-polar and he tends to get too cute at times, but schematically - especially in run blocking - the guy is a genius.

I'm quickly becoming a non-fan of Roman - but I have to agree with this.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The running game is the reason Kaep is playing so well in the first place. He's still not playing like an all-pro', but the Troy Aikman effect is definitely occurring. That has a lot to do with Roman's scheme. It has a lot to do with the fact that the Niners have the best OL in the NFL as well, but I think both factors are equally important.

Been a bit unplugged since the game. Is Iupati okay?

Anybody know about Justin Smith?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nobody's system I'd rather watch or have my favorite team run than Turner's. He might be my favorite offensive coordinator that I've ever watched in my lifetime.

However, like I said the other day to somebody, I would be stunned if Harbaugh would want or advocate going for Turner. They are pretty different for many, many reasons. I don't think at Turner's age he'd find the set-up in San Francisco ideal for him either.

I'm not sure many of the assistants are good fits for Turner either. I'm not a huge fan of Harbaugh's entire staff as individuals (Nolan's assistant coaching staff as individuals was continually top level in my opinion), but there seems to be, or there reportedly is something very good about the way they work and come together to get things done. If Turner were around, it might take a while until Harbaugh and Turner find the right kind of men that could mesh real well with the two of those guys.

I don't know much about offensive schemes, but I thought that the two best people for us to have last year would have been Turner or Roman. Obviously, I arrived at that conclusion differently than you did. I thought if they were going with Alex, Turner would be great because of familiarity and having 2006 with Turner as Smith's best season before 2011. Then, I thought if Turner was not available, Harbaugh taking his OC from Stanford in a lockout year with a great running scheme (that much I knew, though how it worked in the pros didn't know) to go with Frank Gore, etc. was the best shot. I didn't know how fast or how well the team would take off, but Harbaugh made me hopeful for the season. I wanted Alex to have an offensive minded coach, albeit one who favors the pass in college, for once. If Alex had kept the job, Turner next year would have been best for him. Now, it may be best for Kaep, depending on if Turner want to come back.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Both listed as questionable. Justin has a streak of 189 starts going, so I'll bet he'll tough it out & play. I hope he doesn't though. I want him ready for the playoffs. The defense can't afford to lose him.

I think Iupati came back & played after getting hurt, so I'll bet he'll be fine.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I read that they have the best rushing OLine, but since I don't know much about pass protection, are they getting much better? I know Kaep saves them a bit with his mobility, but removing those plays (meaning those that Kaep bails them out on), how have you seen their progress to be so far?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rex DC, Norv OC...

Cowher, Billick, Gruden.

Or are we talking an up-and-comer?

Still. With the right situation (Carolina) that could be a dream team.

I wondered if somebody would press me on that and I probably should have expanded on that before. Several years ago I had a list with several names on it but most of them have been scooped up by other teams by now.

Billick was on my very short list of guys I advocated for before Harbaugh was brought on. In that situation, though, with Turner and Ryan as coordinators, I could definitely get behind Billick again in that scenario. Billick is all-time top five as far as people I love listening to talk about the NFL. I have a high opinion of him.

One of the only things that scares me about him is the way he works with others and sometimes rubs others the wrong. However, on the surface, that fear would be alleviated greatly if Turner and Ryan were around as coordinators.

Bill Parcells, like Billick, is another one of my all-time favorite people in football. The chances of him coming out of retirement are probably next to zero, but he would be interesting if the team he comes to is in win now mode.

Winston Moss from Green Bay is another name I've liked for a long time.

I've always had an interest in Bruce Arians.

The 49ers very own Brad Seely is another name I would like in that scenario.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think the pass-protection has been great. Kaep doesn't exactly get rid of the ball quickly, but he's been relatively unmolested through 5 games.

The run-blocking is probably the best in the NFL. The pass-protection is top 5 IMO.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the pass-protection has been great. Kaep doesn't exactly get rid of the ball quickly, but he's been relatively unmolested through 5 games.

The run-blocking is probably the best in the NFL. The pass-protection is top 5 IMO.

If the pass-pro is top 5, then we need to trade our entire draft for a top-flight QB next year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I disagree. Our passing game is a joke. Our playcalling is WAY too conservative. And how do you remove your best receiving threat from the gameplan altogether?

I'm sorry, I don't see Roman as an advantage. It would be addition by subtraction if we dumped him.

Assuming you're talking about Davis, I can't agree he's removed him from the game plan. This week alone we saw Davis targeted on two long balls that could/should have gone for TDs. That's not removing him from the gameplan. We just aren't getting the ball to him on those throws. Frankly I felt Davis could have made a better effort on those, though the second might have been uncatchable; couldn't really tell from the angle.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming you're talking about Davis, I can't agree he's removed him from the game plan. This week alone we saw Davis targeted on two long balls that could/should have gone for TDs. That's not removing him from the gameplan. We just aren't getting the ball to him on those throws. Frankly I felt Davis could have made a better effort on those, though the second might have been uncatchable; couldn't really tell from the angle.

vernon is in the gameplan. he's the guy blocking while delanie is batting down passes...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If the pass-pro is top 5, then we need to trade our entire draft for a top-flight QB next year.

If there were one available, then I'd be all for that. I like Wilson, but I'm not sure I'd call him top-flight.

I'm for drafting Tyler Bray as a long-term project.