• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 5 quarterbacks all time

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why is it that guys who like Brady or Peyton can't acknowledge that the other is also a great QB. You don't have to hate one guy because you like the other. Makes no sense to me. At any rate, neither are better than Montana or Unitas, imo. Both those guys are somewhere in the 4-6 range. Just a matter of which one you like as to where you rank them.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, how does Elway end up on so many of these lists? It will always be a mystery to me.

:lame:

It's a mystery to you because you were too young to watch football during his tenure. Wasn't it your overrated QB that threw the game ending interception vs Denver in the 97 SB? :nod:

Favre was garbage as I've already delineated in a thorough post but you're just a homer that can't see Favre for what he is. :cheer2:

Do you know why Elway is on these lists and deserves to be? I wrote in another post.

I don't get how anyone can say Elway is overrated and I didn't like him as he was in the Hawks' division all those years. Just like I say with Dan Marino, you put Elway on the 9er's and they'd have duplicated Joe's Lombardis.

85 - 95 was right in my wheel house and if anyone saw Elway play in those AFC playoff games with their "eye test" and not looking at stats, would know he's a top 5 all time QB. While he didn't have poetry in motion like Marino, Elway rifled the ball, took off running and would stand in and get plowed.

The Broncos were the kryptonite to the Browns and Elway beat Cleveland 3 times in the 80's and all were in the AFCCG. C'mon. who was the RB? Sammy Winder for many of those years and Vance Johnson was a main target with a couple other whatever's at WR. Even VJ was
noidea.gif

We all know about Elway's 97 yard drive to send the '85 AFCCG to OT but who did Elway have to torch in those 3 AFFCG's vs Cleveland?

The GREATEST cornerback duo the NFL has likely ever seen, Minnifield and Dixon who could only be compared in that era by Haynes and Hayes.

Real football fans that actually watched a lot of Elway and aren't just looking at stats like those cheese head, can't honestly say Elway was overrated. He did a ton with his weapons and I don't need to look at int numbers to refute this view. My eyes told me all I needed to see from John.

Elway was a feared QB.

Stop CW, your posts just exude the football ignorance you possess. It's obvious. :nod:

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. The top two quarterbacks of the 80s were Montana and Marino. The top 2 quarterbacks of the 90s were Young and Favre. These are just the no brainers. At best he's in the 5 spot just during his career, and even that is debatable.

:L Favre won 1 SB with the #1 yards defense and the #1 points defense during his SB season. He had twice the weapons as Marino or Elway throughout their careers. Favre was a choke artist. Face the facts. I laid out the "eye test" and the corroborating stats for you. It's iron clad.

Give me options for a playoff QB in the 90's and Favre isn't in the top 5, yet, your pom poms give him a no-brainer? :laugh3:

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a mystery to you because you were too young to watch football during his tenure. Wasn't it your overrated QB that threw the game ending interception vs Denver in the 97 SB? :nod:

Favre was garbage as I've already delineated in a thorough post but you're just a homer that can't see Favre for what he is. :cheer2:

Do you know why Elway is on these lists and deserves to be? I wrote in another post.

I don't get how anyone can say Elway is overrated and I didn't like him as he was in the Hawks' division all those years. Just like I say with Dan Marino, you put Elway on the 9er's and they'd have duplicated Joe's Lombardis.

85 - 95 was right in my wheel house and if anyone saw Elway play in those AFC playoff games with their "eye test" and not looking at stats, would know he's a top 5 all time QB. While he didn't have poetry in motion like Marino, Elway rifled the ball, took off running and would stand in and get plowed.

The Broncos were the kryptonite to the Browns and Elway beat Cleveland 3 times in the 80's and all were in the AFCCG. C'mon. who was the RB? Sammy Winder for many of those years and Vance Johnson was a main target with a couple other whatever's at WR. Even VJ was
noidea.gif

We all know about Elway's 97 yard drive to send the '85 AFCCG to OT but who did Elway have to torch in those 3 AFFCG's vs Cleveland?

The GREATEST cornerback duo the NFL has likely ever seen, Minnifield and Dixon who could only be compared in that era by Haynes and Hayes.

Real football fans that actually watched a lot of Elway and aren't just looking at stats like those cheese head, can't honestly say Elway was overrated. He did a ton with his weapons and I don't need to look at int numbers to refute this view. My eyes told me all I needed to see from John.

Elway was a feared QB.

Stop CW, your posts just exude the football ignorance you possess. It's obvious. :nod:

I'm sorry but this is crazy. Montana was the best that ever played the game. He didn't have the arm of an Elway but his intelligence more than made up for any advantage Elway would have had. They aren't even in the same league, IMO. I don't want to ruffle feathers but I just don't see it.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry but this is crazy. Montana was the best that ever played the game. He didn't have the arm of an Elway but his intelligence more than made up for any advantage Elway would have had. They aren't even in the same league, IMO. I don't want to ruffle feathers but I just don't see it.

Don't get all sensitive like the rest of your 9er brethren. I never said Elway was better. I have Montana ranked #1 with Elway #4.

I'm saying that you swap Montana with either Elway or Marino and those SB's don't change. You put Marino on the 84 Niners and Montana on the 84 Fish and you are going to tell me that you believe Montana wins the SB with Fish? :L

Are you saying that if Elway was on the '89 niners and Montana was on the '89 Bronco's that Montana would've won that SB with Denver? :L

:laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

Joe had a complete team. Elway and Marino had parts.

You 9er fans are so sensitive. Even RV has caught the bug. Yo, Dre, RV, you, those mods in Ray and Clyde? Sensitivity running rampant in 9er circles. :nod:

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Plunkett
Kenny Stabler
Daryle Lamonica
Rich Gannon

only 4.....

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From another of my posts on QB's, robo.... :noidea:

I have Montana ranked #1 but many fans seem to want to sweep under the carpet that the Giants were Montana's kryptonite.

I remember in the mid 80's, the G-men kicked the snot out of Montana and the 9er's. I remember Rice running down the middle of the field w/ an easy Td, the ball slips out and he's chasing it. Hilarious. 9ers lost 49-3...

Montana had 3 pts in a loss to the Gmen in the 85 playoffs. Montana had 3 points in another loss to the Gmen in the 86 playoffs and Montana had 3 points before being benched in another loss in the '87 playoffs after giving up a pick 6 to the VIkes.
facepalm.gif

ALL LOSSES.... in 1990, the G-men blasted his back when Joe had 13 points... Joe had 1 TD and 5 interceptions in those playoff losses in 85, 86, 87, 90....
facepalm.gif
That's with a bad @$$ defense and O weapons galore!

Montana had a lot more warts than fans ever talk about because he had 4 of the best SB's ever.
nod.gif

Robo? I can't wait for your response.... You may have bit off more than you can chew.. :yahoo:

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get all sensitive like the rest of your 9er brethren. I never said Elway was better. I have Montana ranked #1 with Elway #4.

I'm saying that you swap Montana with either Elway or Marino and those SB's don't change. You put Marino on the 84 Niners and Montana on the 84 Fish and you are going to tell me that you believe Montana wins the SB with Fish? :L

Are you saying that if Elway was on the '89 niners and Montana was on the '89 Bronco's that Montana would've won that SB with Denver? :L

:laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

Joe had a complete team. Elway and Marino had parts.

You 9er fans are so sensitive. Even RV has caught the bug. Yo, Dre, RV, you, those mods in Ray and Clyde? Sensitivity running rampant in 9er circles. :nod:

Relax, brother. I didn't mean it the way you took it. Elway wouldn't have duplicated what Montana did. Elway's first few years in the league, he would throw missile's to guy's who were standing 3 yards away. That wasn't the 49er's style. He wouldn't have fit into their system until he matured a bit.

I was an Elway fan but I don't have him top 5. He's still a great QB.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From another of my posts on QB's, robo.... :noidea:

I have Montana ranked #1 but many fans seem to want to sweep under the carpet that the Giants were Montana's kryptonite.

I remember in the mid 80's, the G-men kicked the snot out of Montana and the 9er's. I remember Rice running down the middle of the field w/ an easy Td, the ball slips out and he's chasing it. Hilarious. 9ers lost 49-3...

Montana had 3 pts in a loss to the Gmen in the 85 playoffs. Montana had 3 points in another loss to the Gmen in the 86 playoffs and Montana had 3 points before being benched in another loss in the '87 playoffs after giving up a pick 6 to the VIkes.
facepalm.gif

ALL LOSSES.... in 1990, the G-men blasted his back when Joe had 13 points... Joe had 1 TD and 5 interceptions in those playoff losses in 85, 86, 87, 90....
facepalm.gif
That's with a bad @$$ defense and O weapons galore!

Montana had a lot more warts than fans ever talk about because he had 4 of the best SB's ever.
nod.gif

Robo? I can't wait for your response.... You may have bit off more than you can chew.. :yahoo:

Yeah, I try to forget those days. I never said he walked on water. I said he was the best to have ever played. My dad was an Archie Manning fan. :wtf:

This is all very subjective and difficult to argue. You can't just throw stats out there and you can't just go by the eye test...you could but that wouldn't support you in any kind of real debate.

I was a big Marino fan. I still have his jersey hanging in my closet. I would probably have him at #2. I think you could have swapped him for Montana and had the same result.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Relax, brother. I didn't mean it the way you took it. Elway wouldn't have duplicated what Montana did. Elway's first few years in the league, he would throw missile's to guy's who were standing 3 yards away. That wasn't the 49er's style. He wouldn't have fit into their system until he matured a bit.

I was an Elway fan but I don't have him top 5. He's still a great QB.

So you're seriously going to say that in '89, Montana would've won the SB with that Denver team?

:crazy:

Montana wins the 84 SB with the Dolphins? Stop, robo, you're being ridiculous and are acting like
CWood from the Pack. :nod:

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I try to forget those days. I never said he walked on water. I said he was the best to have ever played. My dad was an Archie Manning fan. :wtf:

This is all very subjective and difficult to argue. You can't just throw stats out there and you can't just go by the eye test...you could but that wouldn't support you in any kind of real debate.

I was a big Marino fan. I still have his jersey hanging in my closet. I would probably have him at #2. I think you could have swapped him for Montana and had the same result.

If you go through the Aaron Rodgers thread or any of these. I incessantly talk that I go "eye test" and then corroborate with stats. Plus, look at the surrounding cast. Are you kidding me?

I have Marino #2 and Elway #4.

I have never heard anyone talk about the clunkers Joe put up in '85, '86, '87 or 90. It wasn't like he played well and the D blew it or it was a shoot out. Joe was below avg. 3, 3, 3, 13? :noidea:

22 points in 4 losses, 1 td and 5 interceptions. That is with the "eye test" and corroborated with the stats from the games. I can see the pick 6 vs the Vikes in '87 right now. The beat downs by the G-men in 85 and 86. Getting crushed in the back by Leonard Marshall in the '90 NFCCG.

Those are glossed over because of the 4 great SB's. Via the eye test, I see Elway winning 3 - 5 SB's with that roster. That's just what my eyes tell me and your eyes tell you, otherwise. That's why there are forums to talk football at 3 a.m in the morning... :suds:

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're seriously going to say that in '89, Montana would've won the SB with that Denver team?

:crazy:

Montana wins the 84 SB with the Dolphins? Stop, robo, you're being ridiculous and are acting like
CWood from the Pack. :nod:

I didn't say anything of the kind. I said early on, Elway wouldn't have duplicated what Montana did. Once Elway matured, he stopped throwing the ball a million miles an hour and was more accurate. Elway was a great one. To be a top 10 QB of all time is great, not good.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of the 90 NFCCG, Seifert lost that SB for you.

Young comes in and whips a ball down the seam. Then
Roger Craig fumbles but you re-cover. Then the G-men
stack the line with 10 guys.

A simple bootleg and Young is still running. Game over. Even a quick
flip to Jones. Instead, it's a stupid handoff to Craig for
another fumble as LT knifes in.

You'd have beaten Buffalo and it really falls on Seifert's
shoulders on that one. Thank GOD or us Hawk fans would
be chasing 6. We'll be cutting into your lead soon enough.

:yahoo:

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say anything of the kind. I said early on, Elway wouldn't have duplicated what Montana did. Once Elway matured, he stopped throwing the ball a million miles an hour and was more accurate. Elway was a great one. To be a top 10 QB of all time is great, not good.

I know what you said and I humbly disagree. :lol:
Walsh would've had Elway dump it off to Cooper, Craig or Rathman
and hit slants to Rice or Soloman.

Elway carried the Broncos on his shoulders to their SB losses. He didn't have
the D nor the O weapons Joe had.

Your '87 and '90 teams should've captured the SB but Joe wasn't up to the task,
robo. I have him #1 but to think Elway couldn't have won the '88 and '89 SB's
as a 9er is myopic, robo.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good chattin' with you guys.

It's 330 and I'm getting yelled at... :gaah:

Everyone have a Merry Christmas. :yahoo:

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of the 90 NFCCG, Seifert lost that SB for you.

Young comes in and whips a ball down the seam. Then
Roger Craig fumbles but you re-cover. Then the G-men
stack the line with 10 guys.

A simple bootleg and Young is still running. Game over. Even a quick
flip to Jones. Instead, it's a stupid handoff to Craig for
another fumble as LT knifes in.

You'd have beaten Buffalo and it really falls on Seifert's
shoulders on that one. Thank GOD or us Hawk fans would
be chasing 6. We'll be cutting into your lead soon enough.

:yahoo:

Haha, we'll see about that. The Niners may add another one this year.

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

noidea.gif

Elway was a feared QB.

Lol, your "eye test" is malfunctioning. I actually did watch Elway during his entire career, and if you want to say that Elway was a better quarterback than Favre DURING THE 90s... you have serious issues.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 signed... Rams fan.