• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 RB

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found this list to be quite hard to determine. There were like 3-4 who had breakthrough seasons last year or came in as freshman and shined under-the-radar. Will they be 1 hit wonders or will they be consistent. I took it as they will be consistent.

Players like AP, Foster, and Lynch have been the most consistent, and you want Jackson to be with them.
McCoy was part of a terrible system which is now changed, but the system worked for him the previous year. He was the best RB in the NFL 2 years ago.
Jamal Charles was one of the NFLs top backs on the worst team in the NFL, and they just got a good QB.
Same can be said about CJ Spiller, except the QB part.
Alfred Morris was in RG3's shadow very well. I didn't know Washington had a QB until week 14.
Frank Gore has been consistent his whole career, and now he has an amazing OL in front of him.
Chris Johnson is consistent when healthy.
Stevan Ridley - Can you guess what team he played for??? Yeah I didn't know either. He had amazing stats for the Patriots. Break-through season.

You can say crap like that with a dozen more RBs. Should Jackson be seriously considered? Yes. I did consider him. I looked up the same stats, and you can look at the link I posted on my top 10. I didn't rank after 10, although Johnson would have been 11. After that, I just stopped doing the list. Just looked over their stats. I feel all those players can finish top 10.

Jerms Jackson IS with them ( except for AP). Steven Jackson has rushed for over 10K yards in his career all while NEVER playing on a single playoff team OR with a guy that could even remotely be considered an elite QB OR having anything close to a #1 WR. Now he has an elite QB, 2 #1 WR's and the greatest TE in NFL history to take the heat off of him. I wouldnt be surprised if SJ leads the league in rushing this year IF Atlanta decides to run the ball more, which history says they will since ( up til last year) Atlanta has been a run first team under Smith.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerms Jackson IS with them ( except for AP). Steven Jackson has rushed for over 10K yards in his career all while NEVER playing on a single playoff team OR with a guy that could even remotely be considered an elite QB OR having anything close to a #1 WR. Now he has an elite QB, 2 #1 WR's and the greatest TE in NFL history to take the heat off of him. I wouldnt be surprised if SJ leads the league in rushing this year IF Atlanta decides to run the ball more, which history says they will since ( up til last year) Atlanta has been a run first team under Smith.

LOL how in the world did a falcon troll find the seahawks board?

And LOL at jackson leading the league in rushing!. He's got a bday coming up. He turns 30 in 21 days.....

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Steven Jackson has only reached 1,300 yards in a season 2x. He has never reached 1,600 yards in a season. I know the NFC West has not been as strong as they are now for 10 seasons, maybe 3. One of the seasons, the division champ had a losing record.

I tried my best not to use bias in it. I also know that I could be very wrong, but I also did my best to compare 20 different running backs instead of saying "Frank Gore has a successful QB, one of NFL's top OLs, etc". I looked at stats, both rushing and receiving, and looked at 2 seasons.

I hate Seattle. I hate Lynch, especially after he made the 49ers look terrible, but I believe he is that good.

Last edited by a moderator:

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I project them to be at years end.

Some of these rankings may surprise a few...

1) AP - Consensus.
2) Charles - Most underrated RB in the league. New offense this year is going to get him out in space. If there is one guy who can beat AP in YPA this year, it is Charles. Only knock is td opportunities.
3) Foster - Great talent. Great stats. Great receiver. Great O-line.
4) Lynch - Ditto on Foster.
5) D. Martin - Young, and will be leaned on heavily. Should be even better than last year, so should easily be top 5, imo.
6) McCoy - Perfect ranking for him imo.
7) Rice - Expecting a down year from both him and the Ravens next year. Still good enough for top 7 though.
8) Ridley - Another underrated RB. The Pats will have to lean on him more since they lost basically every weapon Brady had.
9) Morris - I can't justify why this low after last year. Just a gut feeling, and I don't trust Shannahan.
10) Spiller - He could probably be top 3 in YPA. Will he get enough attempts and tds?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SJ isn't durable to obtain 1500-1600yds rushing on 310+ attempts. I also think they like Jaquezz Rodgers a lot so that'll cut into SJ yards as well which would be a good thing for your team come playoff time.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen people. All I know is that Steven Jackson in his last 4 years averaged 1200 yards per year, 4.3 ypc and caught 40+ passes per year playing on some BAD Rams teams that have nothing even remotely close to the firepower Atlanta has at QB, WR and TE. If a guy can do that against 7 and 8 man fronts playing some damn good defenses in SF, Seattle and Arizona then imagine what he is going to do against Tampa, Carolina and NO with 5 and 6 man fronts all the time. Ill be SHOCKED if he doesnt get 15-1600 yards and catch 50+ passes this year. Shocked. Guy is without a doubt better than Turner has ever been and Turner put up 14-1500 yards in 3 of the last 4 seasons he started every game.

Steven Jackson has always been very good, I've always respected him as a runner and I admire his consistency...so it's no disrespect to him...but he won't even come close to getting 1500-1600 yds.

Sorry to break it you bro, but NFL backs hit a steep decline when they near the age of 30. Jackson is 29 turning 30 in July. You list his 4 year average...but you fail to mention that his numbers have declined each year during those 4 years. He went from 1416 yds in 09 to 1241 yds in 10 to 1145 yds in 11 and in 12 he had 1042 yds.

So a rb that has shown declined, will soon be 30...has never reached 1600 yds ever in his career and only once reached 1500 yards in his very young prime...will all of a sudden catapult his career and eclipse 1500-1600 yards!? ....plus 50+ catches too!?

Where are you drawing this logic from!

Only one rb in nfl history at the age of 30 going into his 10th season has ever reached those marks...and that's Curtis Martin.

The only difference is...Curtis Martin didn't show the decline in numbers that Jackson has shown. The season before his historical 1697 yard season (I believe that was the year Shaun Alexander fell one yard short of the rushing title...the holmgren stabbed me in the back year lol) he had 1308 yards and two years prior to that he had 1513 yards.

I think you're taking it too personal that people are choosing not to list Jackson in their top 10. It's no disrespect to him. He's had a great career. But at this point in his career, all signs point to him not being a top 10 rb next year.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rmilia... listen, man, I get that Jackson is a Falcon now and because you're a Falcons homer, you're required to say that he's gonna be the best back in the league, but it's just not going to happen.

He's going to be 30 years old this season. Thirty year old running backs don't put up those kinds of numbers (1400+ yards), especially when they've only ever put up those kinds of numbers twice before. They just don't.

He's had just two 1400+ yard seasons on the ground and the last one was four years ago. In literally every other season he's played, he's failed to run for more than 1,250 yards. Since that season four years ago, he's seen both his yardage and his carries steadily go down. With the number of weapons on that offense in Atlanta, his carries don't figure to increase and they may even decrease further than they already have, especially if the Falcons want to work Rodgers into the mix more often.

You said yourself that the Falcons were less of a running-oriented team last year. With Matt Ryan wedging himself into the conversation for top 5 QB in the league status over the past couple of years and with the receiving corp he's got to throw to, I wouldn't expect to see it go back the other way again for a while. Certainly not enough to see Jackson have his best season, by far, in the last four years.

Speaking of those other weapons on offense... yes, having those guys around should help to take the focus off of Jackson and give him fewer guys in the box to deal with, but at 30, he doesn't have the speed he once had and defenders will be able to close those gaps faster than you seem to think they will.

You put all those things together and I would be shocked, SHOCKED (to use your phrasing), if Steven Jackson came anywhere near 1400 yards, let alone the most yards in a league currently consisting of Adrian Peterson at his peak in a run-heavy offense, Marshawn Lynch at his peak in a run-heavy offense and several other backs either closing in on their peaks or fresh off of taking the league by storm in their first or second seasons. I respect what Jackson has done throughout his career, especially given the lack of help he was given in St. Louis for most of his career, but he is done as an elite runner in the NFL and has been for a few years now.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steven Jackson has always been very good, I've always respected him as a runner and I admire his consistency...so it's no disrespect to him...but he won't even come close to getting 1500-1600 yds.

Sorry to break it you bro, but NFL backs hit a steep decline when they near the age of 30. Jackson is 29 turning 30 in July. You list his 4 year average...but you fail to mention that his numbers have declined each year during those 4 years. He went from 1416 yds in 09 to 1241 yds in 10 to 1145 yds in 11 and in 12 he had 1042 yds.

So a rb that has shown declined, will soon be 30...has never reached 1600 yds ever in his career and only once reached 1500 yards in his very young prime...will all of a sudden catapult his career and eclipse 1500-1600 yards!? ....plus 50+ catches too!?

Only one rb in nfl history at the age of 30 going into his 10th season has ever reached those marks...and that's Curtis Martin.

The only difference is...Curtis Martin didn't show the decline in numbers that Jackson has shown. The season before his historical 1697 yard season (I believe that was the year Shaun Alexander fell one yard short of the rushing title...the holmgren stabbed me in the back year lol) he had 1308 yards and two years prior to that he had 1513 yards.

I think you're taking it too personal that people are choosing not to list Jackson in their top 10. It's no disrespect to him. He's had a great career. But at this point in his career, all signs point to him not being a top 10 rb next year.

You beat me to it, except I forgot about Curtis Martin. lol

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh...and here's my top 10

1. Adrian Peterson
- The Lebron James in his sport at his position
2. Marshawn Lynch
- His beast mode style of running defines what the Seahawks are all about
3. Jamaal Charles
- 5.8 career avg per carry...how does KC always generate these incredible rbs? Priest Holmes (my personal fave in the early 2000s), Larry Johnson...now Charles
4. Arian Foster
- This guy's vision and the way he cuts back is just beautiful to watch
5. Lesean Mccoy
- He's Charles with a more all around ability to catch the ball...just hasn't been consistent enough running the ball
6. Alfred Morris
- Very good...but his numbers are very much a product of the option system
7. Doug Martin
- The little engine that could...small in stature but i love his running style
8. CJ Spillers
- Another home run hitter like Charles...Buffalo needs to give him the carries he deserves and stop messing around with the platoon system
9. Frank Gore
- Tough runner, knows when to hit the hole, isn't afraid of contact
10. Ray Rice
- He's an older Doug Martin. I still think Rice has it in him, but we'll see how he does this year

Honorable Mentions
- Chris Johnson
- MJD
- Darren Mcfadden

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the age concern on Jackson. Seriously do. Heres the thing though. How many 30 year old backs have had thw eapons around him that SJ will have this year?? Im not saying Jackson is the best RB in the NFL but if you think playing on a team with Ryan, White, Jones, Gonzalez isnt going to make his life WAYYYY easier then Im not sure what to tell you. Guy had almsot 1100 yards last year playing in a division with 3 of the best defenses in the NFL and playing for a team with no viable WR's, average TE play and a QB who is just OK. Its cool if the age thing concerns you because it does me too but to think he isnt going to be a top 10 back is absurd.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LogicallyLethal in deed. I can't think of a more fitting name.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the age concern on Jackson. Seriously do. Heres the thing though. How many 30 year old backs have had thw eapons around him that SJ will have this year?? Im not saying Jackson is the best RB in the NFL but if you think playing on a team with Ryan, White, Jones, Gonzalez isnt going to make his life WAYYYY easier then Im not sure what to tell you. Guy had almsot 1100 yards last year playing in a division with 3 of the best defenses in the NFL and playing for a team with no viable WR's, average TE play and a QB who is just OK. Its cool if the age thing concerns you because it does me too but to think he isnt going to be a top 10 back is absurd.

rmilia, I can only imagine the open minded discussion you'll bring to the table ie: sherman v white....but I digress.

I personally took up argument with saying something to the effect of you wouldn't be surprised if SJ lead the league in rushing.

Sure the other offensive weapons will open things up for SJ (*who BTW basically lost his job in STL last year to younger fresher backs)

But having those other mouths to feed will also rob him of stats. Gonzo will get his red zone targets, Ryan will throw the ball plenty. Jones and White will get theres.

SJ is a pacific northwest guy so we all can agree most hawk fans respect him but your showing your homer a bit here.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rmilia, I can only imagine the open minded discussion you'll bring to the table ie: sherman v white....but I digress.

I personally took up argument with saying something to the effect of you wouldn't be surprised if SJ lead the league in rushing.

Sure the other offensive weapons will open things up for SJ (*who BTW basically lost his job in STL last year to younger fresher backs)

But having those other mouths to feed will also rob him of stats. Gonzo will get his red zone targets, Ryan will throw the ball plenty. Jones and White will get theres.

SJ is a pacific northwest guy so we all can agree most hawk fans respect him but your showing your homer a bit here.

I honestly dont think Im being a homer in the slightest. My team has a guy who is a 10K yard career rusher, who ran for almost 1100 yards last year for a BAD team, in a division with 3 of the 10 best defenses in football. That right there is enough to make him a top 15 back. Now hes on a team with WAYYYY more weapons, playing teams with WAYYY worse run defenses yet its inconceivable that he is a top 10 back and COULD have a truly special year??? Id say the same thing is Jackson had signed with Denver, or with Green Bay.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's where you're mistaking the way in which the Falcon's array of weapons will help Sjack. Having Matt Ryan, Roddy, and Julio, etc will make Sjack's life easier...but it doesn't necessarily mean he will all of a suddenly go from a rb who barely had over 1000 yards to a rb who will get 1500-1600 yds.

You don't realize how hard it is to actually achieve that mark as an NFL rb. Every year there are only 3 to 4 rbs that get to that mark. Last year we had 4. You know what those 4 had in common? Each of those rbs were in an offense that was run oriented. Vikings, Seahawks, Redskins, and Chiefs...were all run first teams.

Remember when I mentioned Curtis Martin? He got his historical numbers that year because he was able to get 371 carries that year.

The Falcons will definitely utilize Sjack...but their primary threat will be their aerial attack. If Sjack is healthy and still has it in him to be very good...he will finish the year with 1100-1200 yds. If he does that and gets 9-10 tds...then yes he will be a top 10 rb.

But at this point...with sjack turning 30...having shown decline...all the signs point towards him not being a top 10 rb.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly dont think Im being a homer in the slightest. My team has a guy who is a 10K yard career rusher, who ran for almost 1100 yards last year for a BAD team, in a division with 3 of the 10 best defenses in football. That right there is enough to make him a top 15 back. Now hes on a team with WAYYYY more weapons, playing teams with WAYYY worse run defenses yet its inconceivable that he is a top 10 back and COULD have a truly special year??? Id say the same thing is Jackson had signed with Denver, or with Green Bay.

You do realize that the best rushing defense in 2012 was Tampa Bay, right? They allowed nearly 200 less rushing yards than the 49ers and 300 less rushing yards than the Seahawks. Arizona was 28th in rushing yards. I don't know where you get the 3 of 10 best defenses in football.

And I think TB is even going to be better. Adrian Clayborn is back. I think Wiliam Gholston will fit right in that DL. They got Derrell Revis and Dashon Gholston.

The Saints have their HC back this season and their defense will be a lot better.

Carolina's rush defense was no joke (14th in rushing yards allowed, 12th in allowed rushing TDs, 13th in passing yards and 13th in passing TDs). Far better than Arizona's.

And they will face Seattle, San Francisco, New England, and Green Bay.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right but Atlanta was a run first team pretty much every year til last year. Now with all the weapons on the outside they may well still be pass first BUT if they go back to run first and SJ is even 75% of the back he once was he should lock up 1500 yards easy as hell. Cant exactly load the box vs the Falcons.

Lol

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my.

rmillia is the Obamacare lover guy,figures.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess rmilia 1 didn't realize that when SJ gets hurt, he's out for a long period of time. Forget that 1500 yd season, he probably won't even sniff 1000 yd season.