• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 QB and RB Rankings

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say you have a decent handle on things. But constructive criticism...go MUCH deeper than 10. Ten is easy, but 12 team league, more often than not each team having 3-4 RB's- numbers 30-40 are were the money is. Good luck!

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People know how I fear about Russell Wilson, but Stafford (who is 1/100th the QB he is) is a better bet as a fantasy QB. He's gonna get 150 more throws.

At RB, you have Martin way too high. By the end of the year, he was beat up and ineffective. Best case scenario is 1,200 yards and 10 TDs. Also, i'm surprised to see no Montee Ball, who will likely be the starting HB on one of the highest scoring offenses in the league. Simply, he knows how to score.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say you have a decent handle on things. But constructive criticism...go MUCH deeper than 10. Ten is easy, but 12 team league, more often than not each team having 3-4 RB's- numbers 30-40 are were the money is. Good luck!

Thanks. I definitely could expand it to maybe even Top 15, but to save time maybe make the player write ups a little shorter.

Thank You

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People know how I fear about Russell Wilson, but Stafford (who is 1/100th the QB he is) is a better bet as a fantasy QB. He's gonna get 150 more throws.

At RB, you have Martin way too high. By the end of the year, he was beat up and ineffective. Best case scenario is 1,200 yards and 10 TDs. Also, i'm surprised to see no Montee Ball, who will likely be the starting HB on one of the highest scoring offenses in the league. Simply, he knows how to score.

I appreciate your feedback. Martin also played much of last year without Davin Joseph and Carl Nicks. I believe he can be the 3rd best RB and I would draft him at 3.

In regards to Ball he isn't near my Top 10. I see you are a Badgers fan, I don't personally like Ball and think he is being overhyped but going back and forth right now won't change either opinion we have

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Once I am done with my Top 10 WR's, TE's, D/ST and even Kickers, I'm going to compile them and make a Top 150

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In regards to Ball he isn't near my Top 10. I see you are a Badgers fan, I don't personally like Ball and think he is being overhyped but going back and forth right now won't change either opinion we have

I'm not choosing Montee over Martin based on homerism. If anything, my Badger allegiances would lean more towards Martin (bonus points if you tell me why).

I think you are making the fundamental and common mistake of ranking fantasy football players based on talent. You don't have to think Montee is a good running back to realize that he can score TDs behind a good line and will have many chances to do just that in Denver.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not choosing Montee over Martin based on homerism. If anything, my Badger allegiances would lean more towards Martin (bonus points if you tell me why).

I think you are making the fundamental and common mistake of ranking fantasy football players based on talent. You don't have to think Montee is a good running back to realize that he can score TDs behind a good line and will have many chances to do just that in Denver.

I didn't say you were saying Ball over Martin, you were saying you'd have Martin lower in your Top 10 and Ball would be in there.

I just don't believe when watching Ball that enough carries or talent will be there to warrant being a Top 10 RB. Talent plays a part in it my Top 10, and I still think McGahee stays with Denver and we see Hillman, McGahee and Ball all get carries. Meanwhile Peyton throws more with Welker in town. Just couldn't take Ball as a Top 10 RB. Not a Ball believer

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got Martin in the same exact place in my own personal rankings, in fact, I wouldn't argue with anyone wanting to take him 2nd over Foster..Fosters useage has to be a concern at some point, and if it's a big deal to them, go for it.
Ball will be great, my own humble opinion is he's a lock to be offensive rookie of the year...but that doesn't mean he belongs in a top ten rankings list. Any normal draft, all those guys will be taken before Ball..you have a sensible, responsible top ten, someone seeking draft advice doesn't need the foolish advice of reaching for Ball before they have to

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna start with a nitpick on ya, (nothing personal) - "I am also a aspiring sports radio host" Make sure to do a lot of grammar checking, because even in the digital age, people still notice syntax/spelling errors. Practice makes perfect, especailly if you are considering doing some sports writing as a career.

QB rankings - good safe predictions, nothing too shocking. I also have Brady slipping a little on my board, due to Gronk's injury, Welker's departure, and emergence of a decent rushing attack. I could easily see Ridley/Vereen stealing even more TDs away from the passing game this year in NWE. The days of 45+ passing TDs in NWE are gone for now, imo.

I don't, however, think that Newton/Kaep/Wilson/RGIII all make the top 10 this season for fantasy. I think NFL defensive coordinators are planning on ways to stop the pistol/spread attacks that these young QBs became so popular in. Not sure which one I would drop at this point, just have a feeling that one of them gets injured and misses enough games to keep them out of the top 10, or even worse, gets a weakness exposed that defenses can exlpoit.

RB rankings - again, good safe choices. I'm higher on Charles than Spiller, and will be very interested to see how the LeSean McCoy/Bryce Brown carry distribution goes this season. Just remember - a lot of turnover in the RB top 10 from year to year. Back when a few of us used to post on CBS, we had some great research with stats to back up that claim. Extremely rare for any RB to repeat with most points. Peterson is the only guy that I'd consider an absolute lock to be back in the top 5 from last year's top 5.

good stuff overall, keep up the work and check back onto these message boards here frequently as the season approaches. We have a great group that has moved over from CBS, and I'm sure that there are some more good guys on this site that weren't on CBS as well.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said even without a spinning avatar

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would absolutely take Alfred Morris and Trent Richardson over Arian Foster.

-signed, a guy who usually finishes middle of the pack in legit fantasy leagues and not someone who wins them

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would absolutely take Alfred Morris and Trent Richardson over Arian Foster.

-signed, a guy who usually finishes middle of the pack in legit fantasy leagues and not someone who wins them

who the heck said anything, anywhere about Trent Richardson or Alfred Morris over Foster? And FYI..the same thing used to be said about Tomlinson, Emmit Smith, Priest Holmes, Faulk..on and on and on..eventually those guys fall, and fall quickly...there's nothing wrong with speculating which year that will be so your not the one left holding the bag.
Signed-A guy that is most always in the hunt for the title..not just usually

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to more or less backup what Treff is saying... Usually, once or twice a season (in preseason), I'll publish a statistic that shows that a fair amount of top picks do not perform as anticipated.

2012 was actually pretty good for running backs. Nine of the first 12 RB's drafted actually finished in the top 12. That's 75%.
2011 was more of what we usually see. 7 of the first 12 RB's drafted actually finished in the top 12. 58%.
2010 saw 6 of 12 for 50%.
2009 was a terrible 5 of 12 for 41%.
(For these past 4 years, that's 27 of 48, or 55%.)

Now the statistic that you do NOT see is just how fall some of these guys fall. Granted some may finish a very close and respectable 13th or 19th. But as Treff said, sometimes these guys fall hard.

Running backs are the second-worse to predict. Wide receivers are tops.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say you were saying Ball over Martin, you were saying you'd have Martin lower in your Top 10 and Ball would be in there.

I just don't believe when watching Ball that enough carries or talent will be there to warrant being a Top 10 RB. Talent plays a part in it my Top 10, and I still think McGahee stays with Denver and we see Hillman, McGahee and Ball all get carries. Meanwhile Peyton throws more with Welker in town. Just couldn't take Ball as a Top 10 RB. Not a Ball believer

Well, so much for the McGahee part. Sounds like Ball and Hillman have been getting most of the carries, but Ball is certainly the more complete back. I think he has a fantastic year and is a very viable RB2. That said, I'm sure he'll shoot up and I fully expect to see him go as early as the late 2nd/early 3rd in some of my league, to be honest.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who the heck said anything, anywhere about Trent Richardson or Alfred Morris over Foster?
Its my observation with his list. Richardson has a really good oline and Alfred Morris is in a Shannahan system AND a featured running back. Foster has to deal with a talented backup.

Doug Martin's stats last year also fell off because his oline got hurt. You could say the same for Shady, as well but thats a bit more complicated.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its my observation with his list. Richardson has a really good oline and Alfred Morris is in a Shannahan system AND a featured running back. Foster has to deal with a talented backup.

Doug Martin's stats last year also fell off because his oline got hurt. You could say the same for Shady, as well but thats a bit more complicated.

I rad your first comment, and assumed it oozed with sarcasm, I rad this one, now I'm not sure what the intent was..my apologies if I mistook your intent.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't venture on these boards too much but I saw that you were stuck with Foster last year and came to the same conclusion I did. My intent was to say that Foster is 1)slightly overrated, 2)there is a big drop after Peterson, 3)but there is still a lot of running back talent to be taken the first 15 picks or so