• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tools on draft day...

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I normally buy a magazine or print out a cheatsheet from a website. This year I was thiking of using my tablet with the RotoWire Fantasy Draft Kit.

It's $4.99 and cost a lot less than a magazine. Has anyone ever used it in the past?

If so, could you let me know how it worked out?

Also, feel free to add any other tools or strategies that you may use.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Copy/paste fantasypros rankings to a spreadsheet, slice and dice some data, add my own comments where necessary, format and print. Have done it twice already this year, my draft is in late august, but have a historical context, even going back a month gives a good foundation of guys who are moving up and down in the projections as we get more info.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Exploit the tools on draft day"

Don't quote me boy, I ain't said shit!

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Copy/paste fantasypros rankings to a spreadsheet, slice and dice some data, add my own comments where necessary, format and print. Have done it twice already this year, my draft is in late august, but have a historical context, even going back a month gives a good foundation of guys who are moving up and down in the projections as we get more info.

Good advise .... ^

TK21775

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did rotowire this year as I was getting into a few different leagues and haven't been all that impressed with it so far

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

just like lefty, I side with this guy.
I always make my own spreadsheets.
just really easy to format the layout, different tabs for different positions, email it to yourself and open it in google docs if you have gmail, etc, etc, etc.

The biggest key is not just the copying/pasting part. Its the part right after that really counts.

Make it a live document, right about this time of the year, then you can adjust it and change your rankings as depth chart battles get settled and any surprises pop up in preseason games.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use Fantasy Pros Draft Wizard where I can customize my rankings, save it and print it............has an option to import to almost any draft and you can use it that was...............me, I just print it and mark em off as we go.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops..............lol. But I did pay for it so I can Edit then save.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's kinda what you get.................and this is as far as I have gotten on my rankings; better put a little more thought into those comments.............

Rank Players Target? Notes from
1 Jamaal Charles, KC (6) TARGET Can't argue with Charles, Shady or AP at number one. I'll go with Charles.
2 LeSean McCoy, Phi (7) TARGET SHould have another outstanding season.
3 Adrian Peterson, Min (10) TARGET Very well could end up the number one guy.
4 Arian Foster, Hou (10) TARGET A healthy Arian Foster will equal a top 5 finish this year. 60 plus receptions is a real possibility.
5 Eddie Lacy, GB (9) TARGET Kid is a beast.
6 Matt Forte, Chi (9) TARGET A yardage beast!
7 DeMarco Murray, Dal (11) TARGET Was able to stay fairly healthy last year and look what he was able to do.
8 Marshawn Lynch, Sea (4) TARGET Every year I bump him down a notch and every year he proves me wrong. Is this the year I finally have it right?
9 Le'Veon Bell, Pit (12) TARGET I really like this kid and would have him higher if not for Blount stealing touches.
10 Doug Martin, TB (7) TARGET I see him with a big bounce back this year. The kid is good.
11 Montee Ball, Den (4) TARGET I should probably have him ranked higher with no real competition but I just can't bring myself to rank him higher than this.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just like lefty, I side with this guy.
I always make my own spreadsheets.
just really easy to format the layout, different tabs for different positions, email it to yourself and open it in google docs if you have gmail, etc, etc, etc.

The biggest key is not just the copying/pasting part. Its the part right after that really counts.

Make it a live document, right about this time of the year, then you can adjust it and change your rankings as depth chart battles get settled and any surprises pop up in preseason games.

Definitely, I usually make a 'risk' rating on each guy, which is just a standard dev (normalized for position) between the high, low, midpoint rankings. Large disagreements in projections bumps a guy down in my overall ranks.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use my own spreadsheet, starting from memory and then going through depth charts to think about the guys I might have missed, and put in my own projections. That way I'm less biased by somebody else's list (I mentioned elsewhere the worthlessness of ADP, especially for RBs, and most lists don't deviate much from ADP so I might as well live and die by my own stupidity rather than collective stupidity).

I add a risk rating of my own, although it also has nothing to do with outside projections. Obviously guys like Gronk, and Tate and West both, would all have pretty high risk ratings.

BTW, Bunkmania did very well in the rankings game last year.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,618.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
use to buy magazines and all that stuff. now i just go off the top of my head

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the last four or five years I have used last year's fantasy point against for each defensive category and applied that to my list of an average amount of points for each player through tiering to come up with a projected score each week and for the season. Now the problem with that is it is based on last year's defense numbers which are hard to duplicate from year to year. Also, it's really freaking time consuming, but as a numbers guy it's a lot of fun. As an example, the first thing I do is tiers for each position. Let's go with running backs. The consensus top 3 for just about everybody is Jamaal Charles, Lesean Mccoy, and Adrian Peterson. I then take the average score for the top running back last year which was Jamaal Charles with 307 points or an average of 19.18 per game. I'm not that crazy, so I will use 19 as the base points for each of the 3 in that tier. Then I figure out what the average points per game allowed was in the league for running backs last year by adding up every team's points per game allowed to running backs. In this case that total is 549.17 for all 32 teams. So we divide the 549.17 by 32 to come up with the average of 17.16 points per game allowed to running backs. Then I take each individual team's total and come up with a rating factor for how good or bad each defense was compared to the league average. I will use the Cowboys and Cardinals as examples since they were first and last in the league last year. The Cowboys allowed a league worst 23.88 points per game to running backs, so we divide 23.88 by 17.16 to get the Cowboys rating factor which is 1.39. Same thing for the Cardinals who allowed a league best 10.75 points per game to running backs. We divide 10.75 by 17.16 to get the Cardinals rating factor of .63. Now that we have that information we take Jamaal Charles base score of 19 and multiply it by each team's rating factors which means against the Cowboys he is expected to have 19 x 1.39 which is 26.41 points against them, but against the Cardinals he is expected to have 19 x .63 which is only 11.97 points against them. Now like I said there is no way to guess what defense is going to finish where, so all that is really telling me is that he would have averaged 26.41 points against the Cowboys last year and 11.97 points against the Cardinals last year. I don't use the numbers as hard facts, just another factor I use when developing my sheets, but as you can see, a 15 point difference is huge between the best and worst run defenses. And yes I do the factoring for all 32 teams against the top 30 quarterbacks, the top 60 running backs, the top 70 wide receivers, the top 25 tight ends and the top 25 defenses for all 17 weeks.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
use to buy magazines and all that stuff. now i just go off the top of my head

You guys are all trying too dammed hard. Me and this guy know how to do it it. One list with bye weeks to keep track of who's been taken and where you need backups is all you need

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read a bunch of crap before i draft, print out some list, star players i like, and then let the draft play out, strategies are stupid after the third pick..........you cant stick to strategy........you cant stick to strategy, you have to see how it plays out.......know your bye weeks...........but even at that, if it means i can stack a team and will really get nailed one week, then i take the hit that week for the bump in production

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like paying for anything. Zero.

Copy/paste fantasypros rankings to a spreadsheet

Actually, FantasyPros lets you export their ranking to Excel. Then you can adjust the rankings to your liking.

I use my own spreadsheet

Like Wil, I use my own spreadsheet. Mainly because I like making calculations on last season's data.

If none of these suggestions are not up your alley, ESPN offers free printable cheat sheets.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Cow Bandit i was dizzy just reading that..

im not knocking it either so you know

wow i though i liked numbers...

hey and you were a finalist so who can argue

One Big Favor for all of us

Do Not Let Lefty See It

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like paying for anything. Zero.

Actually, FantasyPros lets you export their ranking to Excel. Then you can adjust the rankings to your liking.

Like Wil, I use my own spreadsheet. Mainly because I like making calculations on last season's data.

If none of these suggestions are not up your alley, ESPN offers free printable cheat sheets.

But it's only free the first year

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bandit, are you out there?

For the last four or five years I have used last year's fantasy point against for each defensive category and applied that to my list of an average amount of points for each player through tiering to come up with a projected score each week and for the season.

...And yes I do the factoring for all 32 teams against the top 30 quarterbacks, the top 60 running backs, the top 70 wide receivers, the top 25 tight ends and the top 25 defenses for all 17 weeks.

Because you wrote this I've done a lot of number-crunching. (I hate you BTW.) I copied the entire NFL schedule and pasted it in Excel. Then I extracted the fantasy points allowed from ESPN for each position (QB, RB, WR & TE) and pasted this into Excel as well. For example: The Colts on average allowed 20.4 fantasy points to opposing QB.

60622_763699603694655_4957286324280313572_n.jpg

The combination of the NFL schedule and the OPRK ("Opponents Rank" above) gives me a basis to calculate how each position will do this season on each individual NFL team.

Just taking it alphabetically, this season Atlanta will face defenses that allowed an average of 19 fantasy points to the QB last year. Allowed 24.9 points to RB; 38.7 to WR; and 12 points to TE.

Now I'm stuck. (Once again, I hate Bandit.) Because I'm not sure what calculation I should use for each player to bounce it off of this data?

In other words, how do I factor Matt Ryan's numbers into the fact that his schedule this season could see him averaging 24.9 points a game?

I have "usage" numbers, which is a percentage of how each player is used on their respective team based on all offensive plays called - both rushing & receiving. But I'm not sure I can just apply a percentage formula against the ORPK. I must be missing a formula?

Maybe I need to sleep on it? Is there a mathematician in the house?

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other words, how do I factor Matt Ryan's numbers into the fact that his schedule this season could see him averaging 24.9 points a game?

Correction: 19 points per game.