• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

too soon for an NFL thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
200097742.jpg

This almost makes me feel better.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Golden Tate's block today.

somebody find me a gif, pls

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean it was a great block, but I don't know if you can use your helmet in that fashion (i.e. like a weapon).

They are supposed to rule "blindside" hits illegal this season, but no flag was thrown.

No flag, but per the rulebook there should have been.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
was there a flag thrown on that block, sbb?

actually there was a flag on that play.
for a weak-assed out of bounds push on Wilson.
15 yards tacked on the end of the run. :D

the commentators were a bit perplexed.

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not blind side just because Lee didn't see it coming.
It was in the natural flow of the play. Lee just wasn't paying attention to anything around him except the runner. That's his own damn fault.

I personally have no issue with this block, i think it's a beautiful, textbook, albeit violent play. But this is a fucking violent game, regardless of how much they are trying to take that aspect of the game out it it.
We watch this sport for hits like that. Yes. We do. Please don't deny it.

Saying that hit to now be illegal is one of the major things wrong with the pussification of the NFL.

That block should be applauded, not chastised.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was in the natural flow of the play. Lee just wasn't paying attention to anything around him except the runner. That's his own damn fault.

I personally have no issue with this block, i think it's a beautiful, textbook, albeit violent play. But this is a fucking violent game, regardless of how much they are trying to take that aspect of the game out it it.

Saying that hit to now be illegal is one of the major things wrong with the pussification of the NFL.

Blindside has to be from behind or from the side. The hit was squarely in his chest. It's a legal hit even by the new rules.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't disagree that one of the main attractions of watching the NFL are for big hits. But when you listen to that Jim McMahon interview and hear that his girlfriend has to write things down for him that she told him the night before because his short term memory is fried and that he is pushing his kids into baseball and *gasp* hockey instead of football, it makes you stop and think. And yes, I realize that all these guys know the risks every time they step on the field.

I guess it all boils down to choices. Put is this way, if Tate leads with this shoulder rather than his helmet, it's still going to be a tremendous block.

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
much like in hockey when we say the game is too fast t avoid some sort of hits, same goes for some of these "leading with helmet" hits.
Sometimes, the angle of the hit, the size of the hitter and the size of the hitee, the speed of the game, an inch one way or another, and the type of hit, make helmet contact impossible to avoid.
Difference between truly "leading with a helmet" and "helmet contact made" should be clear one would hope, just like someone in hockey truly headhunting vs big guy hitting little guy without intent but their chin is at shoulder level, but, it's one of those grey, unprovable areas subject to interpretation and judgement of third parties that the NFL is dealing with, much as the (former) NHL deals with deciding if a head shot was intentional or not.
I don't think there was intent here to lead with the helmet.
Soon running backs will have to stand up as they run, as they lead with their head everytime they make hard yards up the middle.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers are using the Sharks foghorn. Seems fitting, it's not like the Sharks are going to use it any time soon...

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have about 1 panic attack per quarter of football watched based on idiotic tackling styles. USA Football is starting a Heads Up program to teach proper tackling...but every weekend they watch the big guys be complete idiots...

Status
Not open for further replies.