• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

too soon for an NFL thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco: 'Contract not about money, but respect'

Soooo...you really DO believe you're the best player ever? Interesting. Also, when a contract is that big, it's about the money$$

Hopefully the Ravens won't be able to resign anybody else & Flacco realizes it's a team game. I don't blame him for signing the contract. It was perfect timing, but it's going to be tough to keep the team together.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco: 'Contract not about money, but respect'

Soooo...you really DO believe you're the best player ever? Interesting. Also, when a contract is that big, it's about the money$$

Yeah because Flacco is the only QB to ever say anything like that after a signing a big contract. Its goofy, but a lot of them do. You don't like him or the team so it bugs you.

I don't think signing that contract means that he thinks hes the best player ever, I am surprised anyone assumes that. Contract values go up as the cap goes up. Players make more now than they did in the past.

Yeah, if it was about respect he'd say "There's no way in hell I should be making more money than Brady, Manning, Brees, or Rodgers."

So you would be happy if your QB freely admitted and accepted he is not as good as others in the league? There are certainly QBs better than other QBs but I think most of the good to great ones feel they are the best or close too it.

Hopefully the Ravens won't be able to resign anybody else & Flacco realizes it's a team game. I don't blame him for signing the contract. It was perfect timing, but it's going to be tough to keep the team together.

They have 3 years to figure it out. The first 3 years are low cap hit numbers, the 4th it balloons to a 29 million hit. That's not going to happens so like the majority of NFL deals this deal will probably be renegotiated or changed after a few seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe the rubber pellets from the turf field ???? :noidea:

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13 yard field goals won't cut it in the NFL - she may be CFL bound?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you would be happy if your QB freely admitted and accepted he is not as good as others in the league? There are certainly QBs better than other QBs but I think most of the good to great ones feel they are the best or close too it.

Well, my QB is Ryan Fitzpatrick right now, so...he definitely doesn't qualify for the good to great category. :gaah:

But yeah, I think he should admit that those other guys are all better than him. Hands down. A player recognizing their own shortcomings makes them a better player. And if you surveyed 1000 neutral fans (i.e., to take the homer vote out), 1000 out of 1000 would say that those guys are better than Flacco.

I didn't even get into the likes of the guys who most would say are better QBs but who don't have a ring like Schaub or Ryan. And I didn't even stretch it to the guys who would probably get the nod more often than not because of more career success to date like Eli and Big Ben.

I don't begrudge the guy for signing the contract if the team was silly enough to put it in front of him, but they just spent a LOT of money on a QB that very few would count among the elite in the league.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah because Flacco is the only QB to ever say anything like that after a signing a big contract. Its goofy, but a lot of them do. You don't like him or the team so it bugs you.

I don't think signing that contract means that he thinks hes the best player ever, I am surprised anyone assumes that. Contract values go up as the cap goes up. Players make more now than they did in the past.

They have 3 years to figure it out. The first 3 years are low cap hit numbers, the 4th it balloons to a 29 million hit. That's not going to happens so like the majority of NFL deals this deal will probably be renegotiated or changed after a few seasons.

Yes, and in fact, I wish Ben was more humble than he is. Peyton Manning is as good as he is because he studies film constantly and looks for things he can do better to help his team win. Brady also identifies his shortcomings, fixes what he can, and finds a way to avoid the rest. Rogers and Brees are similar in that regard. Those are the four best in the league, but they all constantly look to improve.

Flacco should be looking at those guys as the highest benchmark to pass, and he should be acknowledging it. That doesn't mean he has to play like them, but it does mean he should be looking at how they prepare. I'm not saying Flacco doesn't prepare well, I'm just saying he needs to acknowledge he's not in the category of those four in order to get there. He absolutely has the tools (his arm is unreal), but I get the impression from watching him that he's not always in the game or ready to play.

I would like to see Ben do the same thing. He's got the tools, too, but he strikes me as arrogant and unwilling to work on his shortcomings (like holding onto the ball too long, taking bad sacks, and forcing plays which don't need to be forced). His attitude is why I never considered him to be anything more than a quarterback you can win with. He'll never be a quarterback who can carry his team.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, my QB is Ryan Fitzpatrick right now, so...he definitely doesn't qualify for the good to great category. :gaah:

But yeah, I think he should admit that those other guys are all better than him. Hands down. A player recognizing their own shortcomings makes them a better player. And if you surveyed 1000 neutral fans (i.e., to take the homer vote out), 1000 out of 1000 would say that those guys are better than Flacco.

I didn't even get into the likes of the guys who most would say are better QBs but who don't have a ring like Schaub or Ryan. And I didn't even stretch it to the guys who would probably get the nod more often than not because of more career success to date like Eli and Big Ben.

I don't begrudge the guy for signing the contract if the team was silly enough to put it in front of him, but they just spent a LOT of money on a QB that very few would count among the elite in the league.

Whether the bulk of fans feel the same way or not I want my QB going into the game thinking he is one of the best at that position. Same thing with a surgeon. ;)

I just like the idea of athletes slotting themselves relative to how they feel they compare to other players at that position. I am sure there would be no disagreements.

Contracts are as much about timing, age, and the cap - probably more so than who is 'the best'. Brady signed an extension at a pretty low cap rate, thats commendable but its still much easier for him to do that after a decade of big paydays than it would be for a player signing his first non rookie contract which is often the biggest of a players career.

I don't think Flacco is the best, and his inconsistency drives me crazy. With the rookie contract being completely up and him being a free agent, with his accomplishments, and with other QB deals, he was going to get a huge contract. This huge surprises me but it was going to be upwards of 18 million. If they would have franchised him it would have been for about 18 million. If they had to franchise him again next year what would have been? 19 or 20 million? The year after? Who knows? This way the deal got done.

They pretty much had a choice of franchising him, signing him for 18 million or more, or letting him walk. And after the postseason he had, and with the offense being more of the reason they made it so far than the defense; you cant let him walk.

Darkstone, I agree with the players you mentioned who work hard and study hard looking for ways to improve (for the record I hear Flacco studies a lot too) but I do not think that means they do not think they are the best at their position.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "In my 24 years of life, I'm better at life than you. I'm better than you."

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers release James Harrison. Sad day. It had to be done with their cap situation, and he was honestly useless this past year. Still, lots of great memories with that guy, just unfortunate they couldn't do right by him and let him play out as a Steeler...but, too expensive.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss barefoot Kickers.

Kindle decided to capitalize Kickers.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers release James Harrison. Sad day. It had to be done with their cap situation, and he was honestly useless this past year. Still, lots of great memories with that guy, just unfortunate they couldn't do right by him and let him play out as a Steeler...but, too expensive.

:pout:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A first rounder on the headcase Harvin=overpaying.

A sixth rounder for Anquan Boldin=steal.

Not a good idea Baltimore.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys are right against the cap, I believe they got penalized for some sort of tampering, total BS, so they likely won't be players in free agency. Which is a shame because I think Jake Long could be a game changer for them on the O Line (his injuries don't scare me off).

Status
Not open for further replies.