• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too early to talk about draft

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds more like wishful thinking, You WANT the Raiders to trade up so the Hawks can grab Anderson. The Cards need Anderson and they are in the perfect place to take him and that bothers you. I don't think the Cards give up on the guy they might have at the #1 slot on their boards at #3. I hope the Hawks trade down now with Carters issues and the fact that Anderson stands almost zero chances of falling to us. Edge is the Cardinals #1 need, you know it, They know, everyone knows it and they have a chance to grab one of the best edge rushers in the last couple years.

The Cardinals are not one player away from contention. They need more than a good pass rusher. Trading down to 7 still gives them a great chance to get a quality defensive player be it Carter or Wilson or Gonzales.

I'm fine with whoever the Seahawks ultimately take. If it is Anderson, great! Carter? No problem! Wilson? Murphy? Van Ness? If that is who they want, sure! As long as they don't take Richardson.

Maybe trade down and nab another big body run stuffer later in the first and then someone like Trenton Simpson with the 2nd it could nab us. We need linebackers still on this team TRUE linebackers fit to run a 3-4 scheme. Brooks I think can be fine if kept clean just like I stated before with Barton. If our front can keep the Hawks linebackers clean they will be much better overall. Brooks needs to really cut down on his mistakes and bad angles but not having to fight through 300 pound olineman will help him. I mean he is athletic enough to rack up a ton of stats even though he really hasn't been playing good. Keep him clean and he might be a very good player.

We kind of got spoiled by having KJ and Bobby here for so long Us fans may need to lower our expectations a little I think lol. I have been hard on our Linebackers but they can't all be Wagners and Wrights. Hard going from watching A+ play from our linebackers to a strong D-. LMAO

I do think that we still need to rebuild the LB corps but they don't need to do that with 1st or even 2nd round picks. I think there is a very good chance that the Seahawks trade down with one of their picks, maybe both.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likely is a strong word. I think if there is a team that is really determined to get a QB, they trade with the Cards.
You think its likely Qbs go 1-4?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think its likely Qbs go 1-4?

It's really hard to say. Every year we get a lot hype about the QBs in the draft. Sometimes it pans out, sometimes it doesn't. Like last year.

My guy instinct tells me that Stroud and Young are almost certain to go top 5. Levis and Richardson are far less certain.

While we have never had QBs taken with the top 4 picks in the past, we've come close before. Right now it seems like a mortal lock that 3 teams will be draft QBs in the top 5. The Cards are the only team won't draft a QB. And they may think that the guy they want(Anderson, Carter, Gonzales, etc) is too good to pass up. But if Raiders come knocking and offer couple of 1sts plus change and the Cards still pick 7, I think that would be hard to say no to.

Now I have no idea whether the Raiders want to move up. IMO, I think they would need to really want one of Levis or Richardson and want to leapfrog the Colts to get him for that to happen. Otherwise they could just roll the dice and wait at 7 since the Hawks and Lions are unlikely to draft a QB.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds more like wishful thinking, You WANT the Raiders to trade up so the Hawks can grab Anderson. The Cards need Anderson and they are in the perfect place to take him and that bothers you. I don't think the Cards give up on the guy they might have at the #1 slot on their boards at #3. I hope the Hawks trade down now with Carters issues and the fact that Anderson stands almost zero chances of falling to us. Edge is the Cardinals #1 need, you know it, They know, everyone knows it and they have a chance to grab one of the best edge rushers in the last couple years.

Maybe trade down and nab another big body run stuffer later in the first and then someone like Trenton Simpson with the 2nd it could nab us. We need linebackers still on this team TRUE linebackers fit to run a 3-4 scheme. Brooks I think can be fine if kept clean just like I stated before with Barton. If our front can keep the Hawks linebackers clean they will be much better overall. Brooks needs to really cut down on his mistakes and bad angles but not having to fight through 300 pound olineman will help him. I mean he is athletic enough to rack up a ton of stats even though he really hasn't been playing good. Keep him clean and he might be a very good player.

We kind of got spoiled by having KJ and Bobby here for so long Us fans may need to lower our expectations a little I think lol. I have been hard on our Linebackers but they can't all be Wagners and Wrights. Hard going from watching A+ play from our linebackers to a strong D-. LMAO

Maybe taking the wrong way, but I think the Raiders could very well trade up to leap the Colts or be nervous the Titans will. I wouldn't say it bothers me lol, just is what it is if they don't. Yah they need pass rushing help to so I imagine at #3 they'll pull the trigger, but if they can get a decent haul from the Raiders then they could snag one of the many other talented DLs (deep class) or Gonzalez (desperately need corner help) that might happen.

And if they do take Anderson, we should absolutely look to trade the #5. And on the flip side, I'm not necessarily thrilled if the Cards do trade down either because they'll probably get a haul of picks (especially if it's like the Titans) and they have problems all over that team. DL, LBer, OL, CB, RB, hell even WR. They did sign some OLineman, and that's a start, granted.. but there's positions of need all over that team. You could argue we have needs at WR (#3, eventual Lockett replace), RB (backup), LBer (obvious), DL as well but I don't see it as glaring as the Cards who also don't have near the draft capital Seattle does.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Screamin12th

Also just found this: WalterFootball.com: NFL Hot Press

Granted that was March 3rd - so given that the Panthers and Texans are basically locks to take a QB (14 Panthers scouts, by far the most at Ohio State's day - so Stroud) that means Anderson is there. Maybe at the time the Cards thought Bears would take Anderson if nobody traded the #1. But again, they don't quite have the draft capital Seattle does and with Murray's stupid contract ballooning to $50M from $15M in 2024, free agents really aren't going to be much of an option (and the Cards will prob. have to overpay too boot given they'll likely still suck in 2023 - Murray will prob. miss a few games to start the season and then take some time to re-gain himself).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe taking the wrong way, but I think the Raiders could very well trade up to leap the Colts or be nervous the Titans will. I wouldn't say it bothers me lol, just is what it is if they don't. Yah they need pass rushing help to so I imagine at #3 they'll pull the trigger, but if they can get a decent haul from the Raiders then they could snag one of the many other talented DLs (deep class) or Gonzalez (desperately need corner help) that might happen.

And if they do take Anderson, we should absolutely look to trade the #5. And on the flip side, I'm not necessarily thrilled if the Cards do trade down either because they'll probably get a haul of picks (especially if it's like the Titans) and they have problems all over that team. DL, LBer, OL, CB, RB, hell even WR. They did sign some OLineman, and that's a start, granted.. but there's positions of need all over that team. You could argue we have needs at WR (#3, eventual Lockett replace), RB (backup), LBer (obvious), DL as well but I don't see it as glaring as the Cards who also don't have near the draft capital Seattle does.

If the Hawks were to draft Carter, I would be perfectly fine with that. IMO, that would tell me that PC/JS aren't that concerned with the off the field stuff.

The 2 things I DON'T want them to do is draft Richardson or trade down to the point that we no longer have the ability to draft one of Carter/Wilson/Van Ness/Murphy.

TBH, I know that Anderson has become the consensus top non-QB player in the draft. But I am far from certain that he is the best fit for this defense. We already have several players to fit that edge rusher role(Nwosu, Taylor, Robinson). What we need is someone who can provide an edge rush AND provide support at the point of attack. It wouldn't shock me to see the Hawks trade down even if the top 4 picks are QB. Especially if they don't love Carter.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Hawks were to draft Carter, I would be perfectly fine with that. IMO, that would tell me that PC/JS aren't that concerned with the off the field stuff.

The 2 things I DON'T want them to do is draft Richardson or trade down to the point that we no longer have the ability to draft one of Carter/Wilson/Van Ness/Murphy.

TBH, I know that Anderson has become the consensus top non-QB player in the draft. But I am far from certain that he is the best fit for this defense. We already have several players to fit that edge rusher role(Nwosu, Taylor, Robinson). What we need is someone who can provide an edge rush AND provide support at the point of attack. It wouldn't shock me to see the Hawks trade down even if the top 4 picks are QB. Especially if they don't love Carter.

Fair point, and I can agree - even if Carter and Anderson are there (they could trade down - and prob. get a decent haul for Anderson to be honest). The DL/EDGE class is SUPER deep, and if they can snag another 2nd to help address ILB/WR/C/NT while acquiring any of the guys you mentioned - I'd be fine with that too. Also don't forget about Mafe. He was very raw but played above average last season (just limited in snaps) and I think he could also be a pretty good EDGE.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair point, and I can agree - even if Carter and Anderson are there (they could trade down - and prob. get a decent haul for Anderson to be honest). The DL/EDGE class is SUPER deep, and if they can snag another 2nd to help address ILB/WR/C/NT while acquiring any of the guys you mentioned - I'd be fine with that too. Also don't forget about Mafe. He was very raw but played okay last season and I think he could also be a pretty good EDGE.

Oh right. Mafe.

IMO, Wilson, Carter, or Murphy seem like better fits.

Now it's also possible that the Seahawks view Anderson as a generational player and take him regardless. So I don't want to say anything is certain. But that's my gut feeling.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh right. Mafe.

IMO, Wilson, Carter, or Murphy seem like better fits.

Now it's also possible that the Seahawks view Anderson as a generational player and take him regardless. So I don't want to say anything is certain. But that's my gut feeling.

I still want your Simmons + 11th rounder proposal lol.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals are not one player away from contention. They need more than a good pass rusher.

Never said they were just 1 player away but Anderson is a nice grab for them and he plays the position that is their biggest need. Also the Cards have a lot of draft capital with 4 picks in the first 3 rounds to get some more Key pieces I just don't see a reason for them to trade down, If the Hawks were at #3 I would be pissed if Anderson was their and they traded out of the spot. Anderson is to talented to just hand off to someone else when it is the defacto #1 need for the Cards... well unless they move on from the over rated QB that has the mentality of a teenager who doesn't like to study and it shows on the field. lol

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said they were just 1 player away but Anderson is a nice grab for them and he plays the position that is their biggest need. Also the Cards have a lot of draft capital with 4 picks in the first 3 rounds to get some more Key pieces I just don't see a reason for them to trade down, If the Hawks were at #3 I would be pissed if Anderson was their and they traded out of the spot. Anderson is to talented to just hand off to someone else when it is the defacto #1 need for the Cards... well unless they move on from the over rated QB that has the mentality of a teenager who doesn't like to study and it shows on the field. lol

I have no idea whether the Cards have interest in trading down. But they have a new coach and a new GM. One way to completely rebuild a team into what you want is to have a LOT of draft picks.

To be clear, I also don't really care if the Cards trade down. As I said already, I don't think that Anderson is a good fit for our defense. He might be a better weak side pass rusher than anyone else we have on defense but we already have Nwosu, Taylor, Robinson and Mafe. We can only have, at most, 2 of those players on the field and that's only in pure passing downs. What the front 7 needs is some size along with skill. Which is why Carter or Wilson or Van Ness or Muprhy make more sense.

I'm not going to be upset if we were to draft Anderson but I would be surprised. I honestly could see the Cardinals trading back to the Raiders and then trading UP to our spot.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be crazy stupid. Hooker could be drafted much later.

Hooker is, at best, a 2nd rounder. He's 25 years old and coming off a major injury. I doubt he goes in the 2nd, tbh.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jalen Carter and Nolan Smith would be a dream 1st round, IMO. The Hawks drafting him at 5 would mean that their concerns would be satisfied enough to warrant the risk.

I honestly don't care about the car racing thing. It was stupid certainly but young men do stupid shit. I certainly did my fair share of stupid shit.

Being a bit overweight was a little concerning but I also don't think that a 300 lb many being 9 lbs overweight is that concerning either.

The questions bout will and desire are the ones that the FO needs to answer.

From a pure need and talent perspective, Carter represents both the biggest need AND the best talent in the draft at #5. Our defense could make a DRAMATIC turnaround, given the other moves they've made.

Now add Nolan Smith who was the heart of that Bulldogs defense and his crazy speed, and we have some serious talent and versatility.

TBH, I don't think Smith makes it to 20.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jalen Carter and Nolan Smith would be a dream 1st round, IMO. The Hawks drafting him at 5 would mean that their concerns would be satisfied enough to warrant the risk.

I honestly don't care about the car racing thing. It was stupid certainly but young men do stupid shit. I certainly did my fair share of stupid shit.

Being a bit overweight was a little concerning but I also don't think that a 300 lb many being 9 lbs overweight is that concerning either.

The questions bout will and desire are the ones that the FO needs to answer.

From a pure need and talent perspective, Carter represents both the biggest need AND the best talent in the draft at #5. Our defense could make a DRAMATIC turnaround, given the other moves they've made.

Now add Nolan Smith who was the heart of that Bulldogs defense and his crazy speed, and we have some serious talent and versatility.

TBH, I don't think Smith makes it to 20.

Eh Smith has amazing speed, but that's like all he has. He's undersized as F. I totally get he's an athlete... he kind of reminds me of Devin Bush 2.0. The drills look great, but it doesn't necessarily translate when 11 opponents are on the field.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh Smith has amazing speed, but that's like all he has. He's undersized as F. I totally get he's an athlete... he kind of reminds me of Devin Bush 2.0. The drills look great, but it doesn't necessarily translate when 11 opponents are on the field.

He was also one of the best players on the best defense in college football.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was also one of the best players on the best defense in college football.
I so badly want to get D. Henley out of WSU... I watched him play every game over the years and he's a beast... Speedy, sure tackling machine...