• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tony Romo the Choke Artist?

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok gents, let's keep this civil. I thought we had a pretty good conversation going here. Let's keep the name calling and hostility to a minimum. And please no "he started it!" nonsense. Back on topic, will anything short of a Super Bowl change people's opinions of Romo?

No.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning cures all, btw who is your team

Unless Im mistaken he is actually a Cowboys fan. But I could have just insulted him. :)

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok gents, let's keep this civil. I thought we had a pretty good conversation going here. Let's keep the name calling and hostility to a minimum. And please no "he started it!" nonsense. Back on topic, will anything short of a Super Bowl change people's opinions of Romo?

Let's start small and work our way up.

Week one last season against the Giants. He throws an early INT. And, after that, I thought he was going to turn a corner. Because, the rest of that game was some of the best Tony Romo I've seen in his career. Bouncing back from INTs and putting them behind him has been a big problem and he went back to his multi-interception games that just kills the Cowboys when that happens. He can't let one pick become three. That is something he can control.

Somethings are out of his control but one thing that could help him shake this stigma is getting a second chance at that game-winning drive in Week 17 with it all on the line and actually making the play that wins and not the play that loses the game. That could also do wonders for his confidence as well as his team's confidence in him. And maybe start to make opposing defenses just a little bit nervous when they see him coming onto the field with everything on the line.

Of course, winning the Super Bowl could cure everything but these are things that could happen that could help change the stigma without a Super Bowl.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be worse, You could have called him a Skins fan.

Not really. as a Skins fan, we don't ask the question of If Romo is a choke artist.. we kinda figured that out already. :)

:suds:

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting stat

Romo only has a winning record against the Eagles in our division.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't we say RGIII choked last year?

I'm not sure how. He damn near won that game for them despite the fact that his knee was done. I'm still convinced that if they had managed his injury better he wins them that game.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't we say RGIII choked last year?

Sure we could. But I think outside this board, and maybe on the Seahawks board... no one would agree with you. But hey, I don't want to be accused of trolling in an open thread and get banned. But saying RG3 choked after handing his team a 14-0 lead before he got injured would be an extreme reach and we both know it.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo is far from a Choke Artist. I know he will wear that label forever unless he wins a superbowl, but this is far from the truth. The Cowboys can Thank Romo for being above .500 any year they have been above it. He wins games the cowboys shouldn't win. The Cowboys honestly haven't had a team worthy of the playoffs in several years. Not to many QBs could look as good as he has having to do it all without a Line or Running game. Throw in the fact he can score in the 30's & still not be enough points. People are quick to blame him for the Cowboys record. If we had a typical pocket but quality Passer you could still subtract a couple games a year from the cowboys record. if Eli were on the Cowboys, I wouldn't be surprised if they considered Eli a bust. Put Romo on say the Seahawks & he would look spectacular.
Its like that will all QBs really. Get to much of the credit & too much of the blame. & as a Cowboy QB. (or a NY QB) it is only magnified. (the good or bad)

But in this case. Romo is the only thing that has made this Offense even remotely look good. Now imagine being a QB that has to make it happen every week, & play from behind almost every quarter. I am pretty sure the best out there would force throws from time to time too. they have too or it would be three & out.
To make it worse for Romo is if they do get a lead. The coaching staff plays so conservative & predictable, they will quickly lose the lead. (its not like the O-line could help the running game) Defensive players have actually laughed when commenting on how easy it is to know Dallas's play. its no wonder the only time the Cowboys are catching up & moving the ball is when Romo is calling plays at the line trying to catch up (& sometimes force things) I am not saying he is the best out there or anything, but a lot of these QBs the media does think highly of, couldn't get as much out of the Cowboys as he does. in fact I am willing to bet if Romo was allowed into FA, most teams would try & get him.

BTW his last Int against the skins was simply a horrible decision on his part. he does brain fart sometimes, but there are some in history that are considered great had more than he has. They were just on great teams to boot.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ssp
Sure we could. But I think outside this board, and maybe on the Seahawks board... no one would agree with you. But hey, I don't want to be accused of trolling in an open thread and get banned. But saying RG3 choked after handing his team a 14-0 lead before he got injured would be an extreme reach and we both know it.

As great as Skids Nation proclaim Bob to be he has some pretty piss poor 4th qtr stats, btw those came courteous of
Pops....:suds:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ssp

As great as Skids Nation proclaim Bob to be he has some pretty piss poor 4th qtr stats, btw those came courteous of
Pops....:suds:

Agreed. But would you rather have a 2nd year QB who looks to improve, or a 10th year QB who has shown again and again no matter how good his stats are, in the end he chokes when the season is on the line?? Most second year players, you expect to improve. A ten year veteran... well he usually is what he is wouldn't you agree?? Im just saying dude, you cant teach an old dog new tricks. :suds:

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Romo's biggest problem league wide is the perception he doesn't give a shit. Right or wrong it's the cabo trip, its the turnovers at the worst times, its the putting the ball cap on before he gets to the sidelines etc... I think he's a good QB but until he gets deeper in the playoffs everyone outside of Texas will never give him credit. For what's it worth Dallas needs to run the ball so he doesn't have to chuck it up 50 times a game which is great for stats but not winning in January

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My issues with labeling Romo a choker is the great majority of Dallas late game/season collapses has much more to do with others on this team rather than Romo. I won't say Romo is free of blame for the failures (He does deserve some blame too) but too many other have also failed at key times for Dallas. It's a team game and it's the team that has choked. Not just Romo.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. But would you rather have a 2nd year QB who looks to improve, or a 10th year QB who has shown again and again no matter how good his stats are, in the end he chokes when the season is on the line?? Most second year players, you expect to improve. A ten year veteran... well he usually is what he is wouldn't you agree?? Im just saying dude, you cant teach an old dog new tricks. :suds:

Romo is who he is, have to take the good with the bad, it is the Organization responsibility to take some of the pressure off of him by improving the oline, running game, and defense around him. Romo is not too bad for a guy that was undrafted now pressure is when a franchise trade away their future for you, just saying :whistle:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issues with labeling Romo a choker is the great majority of Dallas late game/season collapses has much more to do with others on this team rather than Romo. I won't say Romo is free of blame for the failures (He does deserve some blame too) but too many other have also failed at key times for Dallas. It's a team game and it's the team that has choked. Not just Romo.

Will be interesting to see how Romo does this year. But as I have said before... if Dallas loses games due to his mistakes... he will get raked over the coals by most, and made excuses for by others. It is what it is. Aside from the paycheck, I would not want to be in his shoes this year.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo is far from a Choke Artist. I know he will wear that label forever unless he wins a superbowl, but this is far from the truth. The Cowboys can Thank Romo for being above .500 any year they have been above it. He wins games the cowboys shouldn't win. The Cowboys honestly haven't had a team worthy of the playoffs in several years. Not to many QBs could look as good as he has having to do it all without a Line or Running game. Throw in the fact he can score in the 30's & still not be enough points. People are quick to blame him for the Cowboys record. If we had a typical pocket but quality Passer you could still subtract a couple games a year from the cowboys record. if Eli were on the Cowboys, I wouldn't be surprised if they considered Eli a bust. Put Romo on say the Seahawks & he would look spectacular.
Its like that will all QBs really. Get to much of the credit & too much of the blame. & as a Cowboy QB. (or a NY QB) it is only magnified. (the good or bad)

But in this case. Romo is the only thing that has made this Offense even remotely look good. Now imagine being a QB that has to make it happen every week, & play from behind almost every quarter. I am pretty sure the best out there would force throws from time to time too. they have too or it would be three & out.
To make it worse for Romo is if they do get a lead. The coaching staff plays so conservative & predictable, they will quickly lose the lead. (its not like the O-line could help the running game) Defensive players have actually laughed when commenting on how easy it is to know Dallas's play. its no wonder the only time the Cowboys are catching up & moving the ball is when Romo is calling plays at the line trying to catch up (& sometimes force things) I am not saying he is the best out there or anything, but a lot of these QBs the media does think highly of, couldn't get as much out of the Cowboys as he does. in fact I am willing to bet if Romo was allowed into FA, most teams would try & get him.

BTW his last Int against the skins was simply a horrible decision on his part. he does brain fart sometimes, but there are some in history that are considered great had more than he has. They were just on great teams to boot.

Why is it always the fans of QBs who make consistently bad decisions who say this? There's some truth to the concept, but a QB really does make a massive difference. Guys like Romo or Jay Cutler always seem to get defended with the claim it's the rest of the teams's fault, but the fact of the matter is both make consistently bad decisions. Would they look a little better with more help? Probably, but not to the extent people continuously claim.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be interesting to see how Romo does this year. But as I have said before... if Dallas loses games due to his mistakes... he will get raked over the coals by most, and made excuses for by others. It is what it is. Aside from the paycheck, I would not want to be in his shoes this year.
well hell he gets blamed for others mistakes. (he is always gonna be blamed) At least if he is getting blamed for his own mistakes. he can fix them.